Cannibalism...for or against

Gorilla Munch

There was a corpse just outside my building. I had a string of bad luck and well ..straved to death.  Now if i was allowed to eat the corpse...i would have survived a day or two more....maybe even longer.  If my life was on the line, I pretty sure I would take the "Alive" approach......soccer anybody?

I think other characters on TLD might be cannibals. I don't think our player would do it though.

Early game can be tough. Keep trying new stuff and if you get stuck, there's always the YouTube videos (see videos section of the forum) or just ask a question in the How-To-Play section. An important skill to master is wolf evasion. You also need to move locations and locate the rifle and some ammo. This is vital to survive long enough to find or craft a bow.

Also you might want to play on Pilgrim if you're not looking at the maps. There  are ways to navigate to each base that you will need to learn.

How long have you been playing? Expect to die several horrible deaths as you learn things. Loot is random but critical items tend to spawn at a certain number of locations however the hatchet and knife spawn points are not on the maps. Many but not all rifle & bow spawns are marked on the maps; you'll still have to search. If you get stuck, enter "The-Long-Dark <my map name> rifle" to search YouTube for useful videos. Example: "The-Long-Dark Mystery-Lake rifle" or whatever it is you are looking for. Always search the fishing huts for knives and hatchets as well as out buildings and near corpses. Always look for crow feathers and grab as many as you can find. You will need them later.

Maps generated by the user community are found here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=530202531

18 hours ago, Gorilla Munch said:

There was a corpse just outside my building. I had a string of bad luck and well ..straved to death.  Now if i was allowed to eat the corpse...i would have survived a day or two more....maybe even longer.  If my life was on the line, I pretty sure I would take the "Alive" approach......soccer anybody?

Straved to death? Are you sure ? What did you play Ultra Stalker mode? there is tons of food if you know where to loot, also there are plenty of plants that you can collect like rose hips mushrooms, cattail stalk. rose hips and mushroom are cook able but the cattail can be eaten fresh, where did you spawn I am sure that you could have survived more if you bothered to collect the plants.

1 hour ago, vancopower said:

Straved to death? Are you sure ? What did you play Ultra Stalker mode? there is tons of food if you know where to loot, also there are plenty of plants that you can collect like rose hips mushrooms, cattail stalk. rose hips and mushroom are cook able but the cattail can be eaten fresh, where did you spawn I am sure that you could have survived more if you bothered to collect the plants.

If you are new to the game then you can starve to death literally sitting next to a cashe of canned foods. You dont know where to look, you dont know how to hunt, you dont know hold long blizzad may last of will it come back again, you dont know... anything.

Right now i can cover half the map on the first day after spawn, since i know where to go and what i am looking 4, and what to do with it. How to get maximum from what i got, be it time or food or tools or materials.

But i do remember times when i was extremely cautious or overly stupid brave and questioned every move and was afraid to lose los with my current hideout. Or trying to preserve condition at any cost, even tho now im far more liberal with condition management, since its extremely easy to recover it.

Now i know how far i can get in set timeframe, in what direction to move and what i most likely find there. Now my main source of meat are wolves, who i simply melee due to the fact that they are fairly easy to kill in latest builds. Now i often do completely stupid stuff or go on a walks, just because i can. But there were times when every shadow scared the shit out of me.

3 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

If you are new to the game then you can starve to death literally sitting next to a cashe of canned foods. You dont know where to look, you dont know how to hunt, you dont know hold long blizzad may last of will it come back again, you dont know... anything.

Right now i can cover half the map on the first day after spawn, since i know where to go and what i am looking 4, and what to do with it. How to get maximum from what i got, be it time or food or tools or materials.

But i do remember times when i was extremely cautious or overly stupid brave and questioned every move and was afraid to lose los with my current hideout. Or trying to preserve condition at any cost, even tho now im far more liberal with condition management, since its extremely easy to recover it.

Now i know how far i can get in set timeframe, in what direction to move and what i most likely find there. Now my main source of meat are wolves, who i simply melee due to the fact that they are fairly easy to kill in latest builds. Now i often do completely stupid stuff or go on a walks, just because i can. But there were times when every shadow scared the shit out of me.

Yes that is all true, but still starvation it takes 100 hours to drop your condition to 0%, that's 4 full days I have never had a 4 days blizzard in any gameplay any region so far the longest one was in pleasant valley about 12-14 hours and there was a brake of 3-4 hours so in 4 days you could travel the whole map from mystical lake to desolation point and back to coastal if you are lucky. My point is yes you can die of starvation if you don't explore, but why would not explore when your situation is getting worse and yes if you are that desperate just melee a wolf you need to have at least pry bar never melee with just your fists, and there is the food. Also I have played this game for a year now and I still get lost in some regions, but I just go in a straight line and somehow turn up in a familiar place. I guess the maps are designed that way so you always turn up someplace safe. Just don't go around in a circles like in the desert :) and you will be fine.

On March 5, 2016 at 10:33 AM, vancopower said:

It is very possible, on stalker mode. This is most likely a new player. If he got stuck somewhere, burned through his entire food supply after a bit, and didn't know about harvesting cattail or how to find dead deer to scavenge or how to create a fishing hook, he would have desperately starved to death.

but anyway. Welcome to the forums, Gorilla Munch (nice name, btw ;)) and I am personally all for this idea! This game is, after all, about how far you're willing to go to survive.

I think this may have implications for the classification rating for the game. Introducing acts  of butchering humans to consume their meat can take a game that was potentially PG to 15+ quite quickly. Removing a portion of your market by adding a small single feature can have large financial impacts. I'd say no. I wouldn't mind being able to bury the dead people, just leaving them to rot like that doesn't seem right, and the potential for disease increases as well.

8 hours ago, Axe said:

I'd say no. I wouldn't mind being able to bury the dead people, just leaving them to rot like that doesn't seem right, and the potential for disease increases as well.

Burying would be pointless, since next big blizzard would uncover corpses again. And digging actual graves... that would be just absurd. And corpses are frozen, disease is not an issue.

If you look at the temperature indoors you'll notice that those corpses would be thawing from time to time. Definitely a health issue if you living in the same house a rotting corpse, the smell alone would make it unbearable to live there.

Archived