Time & Temperature Display

Bill Tarling

• 4 months later...

I don’t like the idea of knowing the exact temperature without a thermometre.

To expand on the range that Robdoar gave, here’s basically what I would like to see on my screen, not necessarily in my HUD, but at least when I hit TAB:

Burning

Hot

Warm

Okay

Chilly

Cold

Freezing

Holy shit it’s cold

All this pertaining to my body temperature. Low outside and room temperature would be indicated visible breath, as mentioned, plus simple knowledge like blizzards being very cold and remarks by our character, as Cormyr suggested.

• 2 weeks later...
I don’t like the idea of knowing the exact temperature without a thermometre.

To expand on the range that Robdoar gave, here’s basically what I would like to see on my screen, not necessarily in my HUD, but at least when I hit TAB:

Burning

Hot

Warm

Okay

Chilly

Cold

Freezing

Holy shit it’s cold

All this pertaining to my body temperature. Low outside and room temperature would be indicated visible breath, as mentioned, plus simple knowledge like blizzards being very cold and remarks by our character, as Cormyr suggested.

I think in a similar way. I feel like the character should be able to tell how cold he "feel", like "it feels like -25 or -30". Not necessarily worded outright, but given in your invent/journal type of menu. Giving a range helps gauge the temperature. I feel like letting the intelligence of the player do a part of the job : don't give the temp of cloth, give a "colder than what I have" type of gradation. Same for deterioration. All those things can be given with a scaling lexicon (The irony is that I hope that's the right word) or a range of value that fluctuate with more or less precision depending for how long your outside/temperature variation shock or what ever. This would give me a feel of decision making that is more subtitle than just : ho this is 1 degree hotter than this. You just know it's hotter and you know how you feel after you wear it.

Archived