More Story Elements - Hint at Bunker Locations

cekivi

One of my favourite things to do in the Long Dark is make up my own narrative as to who the corpses I keep crossing may have been. Since there are so few story elements in the sandbox I thought it would be neat if some of the "frozen corpses" were actually the survivalists who made the bunkers on the Pleasant Valley and Mystery Lake maps. So paranoid about the end of the world that they prepared for it but were ultimately not ready when it actually happened.

To implement this a random corpse on a map containing a bunker would receive the "survivalist" description (maybe with a different colour shirt?) and carry a note/journal page hinting at the location of a bunker. Nothing specific (where's the fun if it's marked exactly?) but the note would have a nearby landmark and a general direction. I think this would be a easy way to add more story to the sandbox and also make the bunkers a little easier to find.

Ive been thinking about it a while back.

General idea was that in some places a possible hints may spawn, like a piece of paper that has something along those lines written on it "Jen, remember that weird survivalist guy that weve been seeing for the last few months ? Well, John saw him rather a lot recently near unnamed pond. Why its unnamed btw ?"

So it would give player general area, but not exact location.

I got the same idea during my first game, I hoped I was gonna find some id card, driver license or something who tell a bit about the dead corpse in front of me. Like in this game in 2.5 d, Deadlight I guess, where you could find a piece of the life's parts of dead persons who tells about their background.

And your idea is nearby linked to the mine in my topic Survival guides. Effectively we could find papers, notes or books that others survivors harvested all over their wandering and who could teach us.

Journals in general would be nice. Especially in "lived in" places (e.g. trapper's cabin) or with unique corpses (e.g. the poor fellow in the dam). A procedurally generated element could even be used to note or hint at unique item drops/locations in your particular playthrough. For instance, a journal entry that mentions where a spare rifle was placed.

Journals in general would be nice. Especially in "lived in" places (e.g. trapper's cabin) or with unique corpses (e.g. the poor fellow in the dam). A procedurally generated element could even be used to note or hint at unique item drops/locations in your particular playthrough. For instance, a journal entry that mentions where a spare rifle was placed.

Archived