PrincessofErised

So I have a few:

1. Salt to preserve meat much longer

2. Rubbing sticks to make fire

3. Sleds to carry larger loads of wood or supplies or trek between maps

4. Binoculars

5. Portable generators

6. The ability to take meat home and dress it there, like rabbits

Hey, don't get discouraged that nobody replied to your topic yet, probably because of the fact that all those ideas are already floating around in abundance here on the boards :P

With the exception of portable generators, because there's no such thing as a portable portable generator, the 'portable' in portable generator stands for not being fixed in place.

There are portable invertors, and those are also still pretty bulcky, though that *could* work

Not trying to be salty here, just trying to preserve you from rubbing the wrong sticks together :D

Welcome to the forums :) Some decent ideas-- most have been mentioned, as Hatchet said ^

2. Rubbing sticks together- I'm assuming you mean fire bow / fire drill (otherwise, rubbing two sticks is not really a feasible option, contrary to popular belief ;) ). It's been mentioned a few places already.

2. Rubbing sticks together- I'm assuming you mean fire bow / fire drill (otherwise, rubbing two sticks is not really a feasible option, contrary to popular belief ;) ). It's been mentioned a few places already.

Not feasible ? What is not feasible in few sticks and a piece of cord ?

I mean that 'just rubbing sticks' together is not really feasible--there's more to it than that. Popular culture perpetuates this myth of 'rubbing sticks together' literally-- one stick in each hand.

In reality you need to make a fire bow--as you're suggesting with the cord above I suppose?. In very dry areas it is possible to spin the spindle with just your hands, skipping the bow part, but that's still not just 'rubbing sticks together'.

Perhaps a fire bow is what the OP intended, but I was just pushing more more clarity :)

"Hand spindle" fire kits, where the user rapidly spins a stick onto a board, only (and I mean only) really work in environments where the air is REALLY dry. Otherwise, the humidity in the air is generally enough to prevent an adequate coal from forming.

I have had serious trouble in getting a coal using a hand spindle during a New England summer. During a wet + cold Canadian winter? Nope.

I generally prefer "bow drill" fire kits, or, really, "pump drill" fire kits. I like the pump drill because 1) it is "more effective" than the other methods, as it uses more friction caused via the weight attached 2) it is easier, MUCH easier ( I have gotten an ember burning using a pump drill in a minute or so, and I didn't even break a sweat), and 3) you can use it for other tasks, like...... drilling?

Being able to drill holes in wood in a survival situation makes crafting things much easier. A pegged-together backpack frame is much stronger than a lashed-together one, for instance.

definitely agree with the taking small game home as well as binoculars. Although at least for me, Im already constantly walking around over-encumbered so the additional weight of binoculars doesn't really appeal to me. I also think being able to make a sled to carry stuff is a good idea except for the character already gets tired so fast that pulling a sled around would just make it worse. I think they'd have to adjust the metrics by which the player gets tired. And if they're gonna do that id just rather them make it so I could carry more stuff without a sled. Either way, those were some good ideas!! (yours not mine lol)

Archived