Sitting

Hokken

I don't know if it is just me and my obsessive compulsive RPG mindset but I do love to find a place to sit in this type of game, especially sitting next to a nice fire. I was glad it could be done in skyrim, also in divine divinity original sin, a bit disappointed the option wasn't available in the long dark. I could only destroy the chair, I know it's not a high priority but those little details really add to the atmosphere especially for those who are looking for a more contemplative experience of the game.

Edited by Guest

How does one manages to sit without a bottom?

Good questions!

The same way one manages to walk without any feet nor legs.

Catch my drift?

On a more serious note; There's cars for all your sitting needs!

No really seriously now; i would love to sit my ash down from time to time and have a relaxing view of the breathtaking landscapes, perhaps put a car right over a cliff somewhere so the nose is facing a bit down so you'd have a very nice view from inside the car's front seats.

But you'd have to get in from the backseat then crawl to the front to get your reward.

And if you didn't stuff 50kg worth of stuff in the trunk the car would go sliding down the... nah that's taking it a bit too far.

Or yeah just give players the ability to sit and while they're at it, give players an ability to make makeshift chairs from deerhides, those that you can fold and don't weight more than a kg.

Would be cool to have a seat next to a fire right infront of a doorstep somewhere and you'd sit on it, a wolf would come close and you'd put your rifle up, completely relaxed and put a round straight between the wolves beady eyes.

Why i could see sitting added i fail to see why it should be added.

Its one of those features that have no point at all, like adding polka dancing or whistling. Feature without any practical implementation.

One reason would be because people want it to be added.

Another reason would be to enable resting without sleeping. This could be done by sitting down (anywhere, not just on a chair).

Sitting down in the snow would chill you. Fine balance between resting and staying warm then. Would be best to be able to take some fir boughs as insulation, but the simple balancing gameplay would be adequate. Clothes would modify this as well for example, logically.

Its one of those features that have no point at all, like adding polka dancing or whistling. Feature without any practical implementation.

Damn, that's a neat idea 'whistling' they should also see if they could implement it, makes sense right.

Whistle at the wolf, or whistle at the deer to make it run towards wolf, probably asking the wrong person but whatever.

Sitting down in the snow would chill you. Fine balance between resting and staying warm then. Would be best to be able to take some fir boughs as insulation, but the simple balancing gameplay would be adequate. Clothes would modify this as well for example, logically.

Yeah, sitting down outside or in a cave (or on a concrete floor like in the dam) should probably lower the 'feels like' temperature a few degrees.

I think sitting is an awesome idea, the first time I lit a fire in game I wanted to sit on a chair in front of it, only to realise I can't. Sitting would help immersion and those like myself who like to role play.

It's not just sitting it's doing things like exercises, redecorate the cabin (moving beds, tables), experimental cooking (granola infused wolf steaks anyone?), feed your pet rabbit, enjoy a bit of sledding down the slopes, repaint the walls, smoke a pipe, shoot bottles/cans with a slingshot, make some wood carvings, make a snow angel, use a polaroid camera and stick photo's up in your cabin of that deer you shot yesterday or the great view from the outlook, knit yourself a colourful scarf, bury all the dead people, build a birdfeeder, read the latest issue of 'Big Ones', build a snowman called Wilson, throw snowballs at wolves, have a diary/journal, or even if you had a voice recorder and recorded your own thoughts and feelings and what you did each day through your mic and then listen to them in your final moments as you lay in the snow slowly dying of cold and hunger... or never.

This game has a lot of potential for fun psychological game play, realistically keeping your spirits up would probably be the greatest challenge for any of us if we were isolated and put in a survival situation.

Small things like that may not seem necessary but they do add a certain polish to the game that just make it feel real and make you think your character is not Pacman eating little dots from point A to point B but actually create a feeling of a lived experience and memories going from point A to point B.

I've often enough sat for half an hour or longer in the snow while taking a break while snowboarding, never had a frozen ass...

What were you wearing, what was outdoor temperature and snow is not the same thing as stone floor.

I was dressed for the weather/ activity. So that would be a skiing-outfit as an outer layer and depending on how cold it is long underwear. Temperatures would have been anywhere from -10c to +5c.

And no, snow is not a stone floor. It is very cold though and will suck the heat right out of you if you are not dressed appropriately. But fine, let sitting on a concrete floor lower the feels like temperature more than a few degrees.

I press the crouch key to imitate sitting from a POV perspective but think it would be nice if in certain buildings the chairs were functional for a minor rest recovery rate and added aesthetics to enjoy a cosy fire.

It's a pain stripping down and climbing into a bedroll just to grab a quick hour of rest here and there.

I've often enough sat for half an hour or longer in the snow while taking a break while snowboarding, never had a frozen ass...

What were you wearing, what was outdoor temperature and snow is not the same thing as stone floor.

Water should conduct heat better than stone I'm pretty sure, and also definitely has a higher specific heat, so it will sink more of your heat without equalizing the temperature as quickly, allowing for more prolonged and extreme temperature gradients.

So snow should make you colder on contact faster than concrete, I think. Though I am thinking of liquid water, and snow might be different

You could just crouch in a spot and 'pretend' that you're sitting.

I'm also guessing that, if you were in actuality, this situation in REAL LIFE, you probably wouldn't relax for a second as it's freezing and you're always short of food....I would be freakin' out all the time lol

Water should conduct heat better than stone I'm pretty sure, and also definitely has a higher specific heat, so it will sink more of your heat without equalizing the temperature as quickly, allowing for more prolonged and extreme temperature gradients.

So snow should make you colder on contact faster than concrete, I think. Though I am thinking of liquid water, and snow might be different

Snow contains air which is a great insulator. After being ordered to do press ups and sit up's almost naked in a frozen stream one winter the best way to warm up after was to get rubbed down with handfulls of snow.

Google thermal conductivity, concrete will strip your body faster than snow:

Ice 0.005

Concrete 0.002

Water at 20°C 0.0014

Snow (dry) 0.00026

Have you ever played Skyrim or GTA 5? These extra cosmetic features that don't have practical, significant impact on the game play are what separate good games from great games. The more the better!

For example, I loved listening to the radio in GTA 5. There was so much stuff to hear and it was entertaining and I could tell the developers spent a lot of time and effort on it and it was great but it had very little to do with the actual game. When I played Far Cry 4 a game that came out a couple years after GTA 5 the radio began to repeat itself after a couple minutes. Including a "live interview" with one of the main NPCs, repeating endlessly and it got annonying! Especially since I couldn't turn it off in some vehicles. I could tell the developers didn't put much effort into it and didn't really care about it. Makes a big difference in the end.

Would love to see sitting added even if it means nothing. And who is most likely to notice these little types of things? New Players!! First impressions are very important! A new player sees a chair and he wants to sit in it, let him! After starting my first fire in the Trappers cabin I was so excited and proud of myself I tried to sit in the chair facing the oven to warm up and watch it but I couldn't. Small and minor disappointment but like I said, these little details all add up and separate good games from great ones.

Have you ever played Skyrim or GTA 5? These extra cosmetic features that don't have practical, significant impact on the game play are what separate good games from great games. The more the better!

More doesnt equal to be better by a mile. Piling together a huge pile of various idea and features does not guarantee success of the game, as has been proven many many many times.

Proper balancing and interactivity is what makes great game(among other things). Fallout 4 has ability to sit like friggin everywhere(not to mention being a pile of various completely random features), that annoyed me greatly; didnt really contribute to game quality, it being total and utter garbage, worse Fallout game by a mile, even compared to BoS, that has been considered worse Fallout game(but not bad in its own right) for years.

So, question is not if it can be added, but what exactly does it bring into the game and is it a positive or negative change.

• 3 years later...

There are soft chairs and sofas in the houses at Milton and CH. Sometimes in the cabins you find here and there. 

If you're in a place with none of that, why can't you sit on your bedroll? We could drop it and sit down on the rolled up bed. Surely that would keep the chill at Bay.

6 minutes ago, MrsHoneypot said:

There are soft chairs and sofas in the houses at Milton and CH. Sometimes in the cabins you find here and there. 

If you're in a place with none of that, why can't you sit on your bedroll? We could drop it and sit down on the rolled up bed. Surely that would keep the chill at Bay.

You can activate the Pass Time screen anywhere.  When I sleep, I imagine lying down on the bedroll or the bed while the screen is black.  When I Pass Time, I imagine sitting on whatever is nearby when I decide to pass time.  I honestly don't have any problem with not being able to actually see the character moving into a sitting position.  I can also crouch by a fire while I'm cooking and imagine sitting that way.

I actually use the crouch toggle to roleplay sitting all the time, not just when cooking or sitting next to a fire.

It'd be nice (but not strictly speaking necessary) have a an actual "sit" toggle that allowed the user to drop their at rest calorie consumption by some marginal quantity (say from 120 to 110 or whatever), with the need to get up again before doing anything... which may from time to time end up creating problems for the player.

This is also because I will often not use the pass time function; I've had many occasions playing this game where the player is huddled next to a fire in the mouth of a cave watching a blizzard blow by and just letting the time pass while I make a coffee or a snack or do some tidying or whatever, with the occasional look over to see if the situation needs maintaining (wood on the fire, drink some water, that sort of thing).

43 minutes ago, stratvox said:

I actually use the crouch toggle to roleplay sitting all the time, not just when cooking or sitting next to a fire.

This is also because I will often not use the pass time function

I do the exact same thing lol.  I have game time set to 4x normal, and will leave it running with the crackling fire as background noise while I wash the dishes.  Or cook dinner while cooking actual dinner in real time. 

1 hour ago, stratvox said:

It'd be nice (but not strictly speaking necessary) have a an actual "sit" toggle that allowed the user to drop their at rest calorie consumption by some marginal quantity (say from 120 to 110 or whatever), with the need to get up again before doing anything... which may from time to time end up creating problems for the player.

This is also because I will often not use the pass time function; I've had many occasions playing this game where the player is huddled next to a fire in the mouth of a cave watching a blizzard blow by and just letting the time pass while I make a coffee or a snack or do some tidying or whatever, with the occasional look over to see if the situation needs maintaining (wood on the fire, drink some water, that sort of thing).

Passing time seems to have a lower calorie consumption that moving about.  Sleeping has an even lower one.  I don't spend time AFK without pausing the game, but I'm also pretty sure just standing still consumes fewer calories than moving (which is essentially what AFK is); so I'm not convinced adding a "sit" toggle that enabled you to still hear and see the world changing would actually be a change beyond lowering the vertical camera angle a little lower than crouching does.  They can add it if they want, but I really wouldn't miss it if they never do. 

In a game with the ability to view things in third-person, different ballgame altogether.  I don't see them making that sort of extensive change though, but a 3rd-person view is something I'd be more interested in overall.