walking on snow

Tbone555

this is just a very basic little thing, but its something thats bothered me since i got this game. it would be so much more satisfying if the snow had that more realistic crunch when walking on it in the game. i cant explain why. it just would :P

but while im on the topic, i'd also like to suggest skis or snowshoes. walking out in the middle of the deep woods with feet of snow on the ground like on timberwolf mountain or pleasant valley wouldnt be very fun without skis or snowshoes. if this were a thing in the game, there should be certain areas like on the coastal highway that you dont need them. but deeper wooded areas, your speed would be greatly decreased and your stamina would slowly drain, as it takes quite a bit of effort to force your way through feet of snow without said gear. just something to make it a bit more realistic, i know it snows a TON in certain areas of northern canada

With temperatures falling below -30C pretty much every second night a snow crust strong enough to carry a person would form within a day.

Making traversing snowy areas harder and slower has nothing to do with realism, its not some suburban area or forest where temps rarely go even below -10C.

With temperatures falling below -30C pretty much every second night a snow crust strong enough to carry a person would form within a day.

Making traversing snowy areas harder and slower has nothing to do with realism, its not some suburban area or forest where temps rarely go even below -10C.

Crust formation does not tend to happen that quickly in my experience (edit: at least here), so I'll respectfully disagree. Snowshoes are basic backcountry equipment for anywhere in BC that gets deep snow--as far as we know, this includes the location of the game.

That being said, I'm indifferent to them being added to the game-- perhaps it's the many hours spent slogging in them for work that has soured my taste for snowshoes :lol:

Still, I can't argue that they would not be a logical addition, both in terms of the likelihood of being found within the structures in game and their utility... It's the implementation that gives me pause-- e.g. if WE need snowshoes, then the wolves and deer would also sink into the snow. They are not really built for deep snow when compared to things like snowshoe hare or lynx, which have very large feet to give them excellent flotation in snow. (And bears are not usually even out and about in deep snow!)

Overall, I'm fairly happy with the snow the way it is for gameplay reasons.

• 2 months later...

Especially if the temperature is very low and the air is very dry, the snow stays in its powderform and the crystaly whil errect themselfs like fleur du sel :) only if the surface melts in sunlight or on warmer conditions a crust is formed. So, snowshoes make perfect sense in that climate - i really hope they get implemented.

It would be nice to have snowshoes. However, it is probably balanced by the fact that move speed seems fairly consistent regardless of terrain. With snowshoes you'd have to take them off whenever you wanted to enter a building and they are very awkward to walk with on flat ground.

It would be nice to have snowshoes. However, it is probably balanced by the fact that move speed seems fairly consistent regardless of terrain. With snowshoes you'd have to take them off whenever you wanted to enter a building and they are very awkward to walk with on flat ground.

deep soft snow found in heavy bush has not been something in the game so far. I think that level of simulation detail is next generation requiring more memory and processor speed. There are so many kinds of snow; some is soft and silent; other wind-blown snow is crunchy. Lake snow should be crunchy while bush snow soft, quiet and slow going.

Archived