Achievements made me do something really stupid.

Keystone

80 days in, Stalker difficulty. I wanted that Beneath a Starry Sky achievement, three nights outside. I gathered a bunch of carefully measured food, water, and medical supplies in preparation. In my stupidity, I thought, "I'll just sleep for three nights outside the quonset hut's back door. I can stab off any wolves that might come after me, then go back to sleep and heal the damage. What can go wrong?"

Well, a lot, apparently. Big ol' Yogi the Bear came to say hello on night two to steal my picnic basket. He mauled me nearly to death. I survived, and I was just outside my camp, so I could still salvage this. I tried to reach for my bedroll to pick it up quickly before going to give myself first aid, so I was still bleeding when I accidentally clicked "Rest" instead of "Pick Up."

Death by misclick. I bled to death instantly. 80 day run ruined due to my hubris and carelessness!

So if you haven't done this achievement yet, word of advice: Find a nice secluded burned hut or mountaintop to do this in. That's how I ended up getting it last night. Don't be overconfident and careless! Nature has a way of telling you you're wrong about any assumption you might make!

80 days in, Stalker difficulty...

Death by misclick... 80 day run ruined due to my hubris and carelessness!

Feel your pain, especially when you are having a good run and something like that happens. I failed on this one the first time I tried it too.

Earlier this summer, I was playing a voyager game and just about everything was coming together for my character, I'm about 29 days into my run, having crafted all the clothes and everything in my inventory was repaired to 100%. I had gathered enough firewood to maintain two separate fires simultaneously, I figured I would keep two fires going as protection against wolves and to keep the temperature up for a little extra insurance. I decide to set up outside the shack, I got mounds of firewood stacked up around the outside of my two fires, so I get my sleeping bag ready. I eat and drink to max out my calories and hydration, top of both fires so they are maxed out to 12 hours.

I don't know what possessed my to do it, but I decided to sleep for 11 hours, I figured I would wake up, stoke the fires, eat and hydrate, sleep etc. Apparently the wind shifted when a sudden blizzard hit my campsite and my 12 hour fire burned out and I froze to death in my sleep. :cry:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived