What is the 1 thing you dislike most in The Long Dark?

Lifferds

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interestingly though, the devs have already created a world with massively less loot than one would expect to find in the scenario, and I admit it can be frustrating for the realist in me to explore cabinet after cabinet, or workshop after workshop, and find absolutely nothing. Real homes and businesses are chock-full of clothing, tools, and items that would be useful in an apocalypse, and I'm willing to bet you could live for at least a week or two on the dry goods and canned foods found in the average home, even if it wasn't traditional meals or things you especially liked.

Sooo.. you wanna Walmart in the game? :shock:

Well, the idea in the game is that people took whatever they could with them, when they started fleeing from the oncoming sh!t. You can see evidence of that inside of coastal homes... stuff thrown apart, chairs and cabinets turned over..etc.

So, basically, what you find is what they left behind and were unable to carry.

I know, devs didn't mention that anywhere, but cmon, use your imagination :)

And after all, if you had homes and businesses choked-full of clothing, food, tools and other stuff, there would be no point in playing this game. You would be able to survive on the hardest setting, doing nothing but moving around casually, eating, drinking, sleeping and so on.

The game features worst possible scenario when it comes to survival, and consequently there is just enough of resources if you try really hard to find it. Otherwise, there would be no point in playing TLD :)

...that people took whatever they could with them, when they started fleeing from the oncoming sh!t...

And all these people knew about the event and had enough time to flee with almost all of their goods...and our Pilot didn't notice all that at all...and crashed because of the event??? :roll: :D;)

As many other things we have/haven't in the game...that just would make no sense at all :P:D

But B(ack)T(o)T(opic):

I don't like the hunting/bow/rifle mechanic

I don't like the inability to save food by storing it in a freezing trunk

I don't like the inability of making a compass/map of any kind (IN the game!)

I don't like the degrading rates on tools

I don't like the inability to step over tiny edges

...that people took whatever they could with them, when they started fleeing from the oncoming sh!t...

And all these people knew about the event and had enough time to flee with almost all of their goods...and our Pilot didn't notice all that at all...and crashed because of the event??? :roll: :D;)

As many other things we have/haven't in the game...that just would make no sense at all :P:D

[align=left][glow=red]"First, there was a brilliant light, then a great and silent darkness. People ran scared. Those that could, took shelter. Many suffered beyond reason.

Now, most are gone, their countless stories left untold.

Who will bare witness to this long dark?

I will."[/glow][/align]

So yeah, all those people knew about it, same as our pilot did ;)

Please, do a bit of a research before trying to argue with someone in that manner.

Item degradation out of whack

What does that mean?

I also thing item degradation as it is now sucks and is one of the biggest flaws in the current gameplay but decay is real, everywhere and everytime, it should just start in the beginning of the game and not once you pick something up...

Things like matches degrading when left in a dry indoors locale, hatchet degradation to ruined (dull?), have you ever tried to ruin a pry bar? Canned goods have a shelf life $&*% near eternity. Meats are fine tho there should be a longer life if left in a refrigerated environment, like hung in a tree.

There ought to be a whet stone in the game to resharpen tools, rather than have them degrade to nothing but scrap. My Case hunting knife is almost 40 years old and going strong, though needs a good honing.

Yeah, the matches thing really gets me. A lot of the degradation could be balanced. I agree we should be able to tree hang, or maybe craft a storage box that we can put outside to keep meats longer or even maybe make a smoker and canned goods should last much longer if not open.

I'd also like to see ability to make fish hooks out of fish bone , maybe a sewing kit too, and a knife out of wolf bone or something

Running out of new maps.

Can I add that I LIKE the loot amounts. The real thing that makes the game feel too easy after a while is when you know the maps well enough to not have to waste food, gear, etc. exploring and/or taking risks.

New maps or a procedurally generated map/area would end all of this "game too easy" stuff.

Still want a big long term goal. One mechanical part in each area to get a radio working or something. Not that though, thats a bad idea, but something along those lines. I need a bigger secondary objective. Primary objectives....Find sewing kit, get warming clothing, find food, find the gun, craft even warmer clothes. Now I have nothing to do except sleep and eat....this is not fun. My very favourite part of this game is when you first start and I am scrambling just to stay alive. After I've been alive for a week, the game isn't as exciting. Please fix this, its my favourite game ever!

Clicking hell.

2 clicks for a single stick. 6 clicks for a branch. 20 clicks to harvest a 9kg deer. Over 60 clicks to get 10L water with purely sticks. It takes over 500+ clicks to gather enough sticks and harvest+cook all the meat of a 35kg bear. And worst of all, every night it taks me 13 clicks to sleep 12 hours.

Imagine a word using 1,000,000,000 letters to express a billion.

Clicking hell.

2 clicks for a single stick. 6 clicks for a branch. 20 clicks to harvest a 9kg deer. Over 60 clicks to get 10L water with purely sticks. It takes over 500+ clicks to gather enough sticks and harvest+cook all the meat of a 35kg bear. And worst of all, every night it taks me 13 clicks to sleep 12 hours.

Imagine a word using 1,000,000,000 letters to express a billion.

:?: :?: :shock:

Did you know you can make fire with...firewood and not only sticks?

Only thing right in your complaint is the first one, that it takes 2 clicks to gather a stick.

It does not take 6 clicks to harvest stick from a branch (takes 2)

It does not take 20 to harvest 9kg of meat from a deer (takes 3)

10L of water takes 7 clicks (if you are using normal firewood and not sticks )

...etc.

I really have no idea how would you solve that "clicking problem", except playing it on an xBox or something else than a PC :D

It does not take 6 clicks to harvest stick from a branch (takes 2)

It does not take 20 to harvest 9kg of meat from a deer (takes 3)

10L of water takes 7 clicks (if you are using normal firewood and not sticks )

...etc.

I really have no idea how would you solve that "clicking problem", except playing it on an xBox or something else than a PC :D

Well count again:

Click to select the branch

Click to start the harvesting itself

Click to pick up first stick

Click to pick up second stick

------

makes four Clicks

Click to select Deer

Meat harvesting increases by 0.5 kg Steps ==> 9 kg make 18 Clicks

Click to end Prozess (Close Harvesting Overlay')

------

makes twenty Clicks

and so on....

So in some Points he's damn right ;)

But that's a Problem that was described several times.

Many Players would like to have a 'Harvest all-Key' :o;)

Well count again:

Click to select the branch

Click to start the harvesting itself

Click to pick up first stick

Click to pick up second stick

------

makes four Clicks

Sorry but 2 clicks to pick up one stick and 6 clicks in total to get 2 sticks from a branch, not 4.

And it's easy to understand why I only use sticks, because I can pick them up instantly. Foraging wood from tree limbs might mean ending up in a blizzard surrounded by hungry wolves. You die from that once, and you will get it.

It's best to add an auto-picking mode which needs no clicks but merely looking at something you want to pick up for 0.5 second.

And how would that be done in real life?

You would chop off some branch, brake it down and the sticks would just fall in your backpack on their own?

No, you would have to pick them up on your own and put them in your backpack one by one, or gather them on a pile one by one and put them as a bunch in the backpack.

I really see no problem in that much clicking.

finger-building-7330813.jpg

And how would that be done in real life?...No, you would have to pick them up on your own and put them in your backpack one by one

Shure, but most People would just put them in the Backpack...without watching them 'a second time' (the first Overlay after clicking on an Item...).

I really see no problem in that much clicking.

A Problem...probably not, no...but it adds up ;)

Shure, but most People would just put them in the Backpack...without watching them 'a second time' (the first Overlay after clicking on an Item...).

I agree that the overlay part is a bit annoying and should be fixed in a way that, after you encounter the item for the second time, the overlay/examination part goes away for that item.

But who knows, maybe it's intentionally left ON for every time and every item, just for the Alpha phase, so the players can familiarize themselves with the abilities of all items.

If i had to choose only one:

00. Lack of multiplayer / local co-op

If I continue with my tirade:

01. No longsight/farsight apparatus i could makeshift put together.

02. Lack of shovels and ability to bury food into the ground to make it last longer.

03. Wolves/deer only having 5 kg worth of edible meat.

04. Clothes calculated into carrying weight. If I'm on day 50, I should be stronger for carrying the maximum load around so much.

05. Car bateries. We can see them but not interact with them. There's also radios around but don't work.

06. There's kerosene tanks around trailers and houses, but not accessible.

07. Basements aren't enterable, closets not explorable.

08. Can't fell trees, can only collect wood from pre-dispositioned wood. I'm in a forest yet there's no wood around me for half a day.

09. Certain houses look larger or smaller on the outside than they are on the inside.

10. No way to build shelters in the wild / fires inside buildings (fire barrels seem to be okay)

Thirstiness while sleeping...

In real life, I can sleep for 10 hours, then get up and go another hour before really needing a drink. In-game, I get dry-mouthed after 4-5 hours of sleep, and that's after taking a drink just before sleeping! I'd like to be able to go to sleep 10-12 hours, indoors, without having to wake up every few hours to eat and drink.

Cheers!

François

Thirstiness while sleeping...

In real life, I can sleep for 10 hours, then get up and go another hour before really needing a drink. In-game, I get dry-mouthed after 4-5 hours of sleep, and that's after taking a drink just before sleeping! I'd like to be able to go to sleep 10-12 hours, indoors, without having to wake up every few hours to eat and drink.

Cheers!

François

You can sleep 12 hours straight when your fully hydrated in the game, the rate of water your burning while sleeping might be a little high, the average person is sweating about 0.5l a night and then you produce urine too which technically only leaves your body after you have slept... so considering you hold 0.7l when fully hydrated this is somewhat accurate. Maybe your stomach should be able to hold 1l of liquids in total but drinking should only be possible in a 0.5l step for a certain timespan because drinking 1l at once is pretty difficult in real life...

I personally don't think this is much of an issue but improvements don't hurt.

wolf evasion simulator.

i get that wolves are a big part of the game, but sometimes i just get tired of flaring, baiting, shooting, and running away from 3 wolves every time i go anywhere. id rather have the occurences be less, the wolves be bigger, provide more meat, but also mess you up a lot worse condition wise like they used to. the spawn locations are too predictable and overall they just end up being a nuisance instead of an engaging part of the game. you can tell something is off balance when flares become one of my favorite and most valued inventory items.

If i had to choose only one:

02. Lack of shovels and ability to bury food into the ground to make it last longer.

04. Clothes calculated into carrying weight. If I'm on day 50, I should be stronger for carrying the maximum load around so much.

05. Car bateries. We can see them but not interact with them. There's also radios around but don't work.

10. No way to build shelters in the wild / fires inside buildings (fire barrels seem to be okay)

- If you bury food underground, in the wilderness, in real life, where there are bears and wolves.. guess what's gonna happen :roll:

- Deer has 9.7 kg's of meat.

- Yes, clothes are and should be calculated in carrying weight. They are not part of your body.

- What would you use car battery for? For powering the radio? Well, there's no point in that, since there would be no radio stations to listen for (no power, apocalypse stuff you know..)

- Fires inside of buildings.. hmmm, and with no risk of burning that same building to the ground? Find one with a stove, and light a fire.

- Building a shelter would be a nice feature, but it's not necessary since we have cabins, homesteads and stuff.. :?

- If you bury food underground, in the wilderness, in real life, where there are bears and wolves.. guess what's gonna happen :roll:

- Deer has 9.7 kg's of meat.

- Yes, clothes are and should be calculated in carrying weight. They are not part of your body.

- What would you use car battery for? For powering the radio? Well, there's no point in that, since there would be no radio stations to listen for (no power, apocalypse stuff you know..)

- Fires inside of buildings.. hmmm, and with no risk of burning that same building to the ground? Find one with a stove, and light a fire.

- Building a shelter would be a nice feature, but it's not necessary since we have cabins, homesteads and stuff.. :?

1) Take rope, tie it around the leg of a deer, throw other end of rope over tree limb, pull. Boom, frozen meat that is out of the reach of 99.9% of all animals

2) And Deer should have a lot more useful food, not just meat, but organs, fats, marrow, etc. To compensate, they should be much more difficult to hunt

3) Grab one of the many road-signs you see around, put it on the floor. Light a fire on top of that. Done

4) And what if we didn't actually magically land in an area where there were cabins and other shelters? What if there was a region with a long "wilderness" section that we had to cross, and a snowstorm blew up?

I have yielded up to 10 kilos of meat on a Deer. It depends on how quickly you get to them. Hunt them yourself and harvest immediately for maximum meat.

I agree with this. It shouldn't impact that much.

Geomagnetic event. Bad for electronics.

08. Can't fell trees, can only collect wood from pre-dispositioned wood. I'm in a forest yet there's no wood around me for half a day.

This is a great point but I don't see how this can be worked around without breaking the current core mechanics of the game...

09. Certain houses look larger or smaller on the outside than they are on the inside.

YES! A thousand times yes! Just one look at Camp Office at Mystery Lake - it's like a TARDIS!

Archived