What is the 1 thing you dislike most in The Long Dark?

Lifferds

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i was hoping nobody would reply to this ;)

Why, because the game is "perfect"? Cannot be improved in any way?

Nothing is perfect.

1) Item degradation, that leads to in-game behavior that is completely asinine (aka don't search containers until you need them , because whatever gets touch decays)

2) Tool repair

3) simplistic AI, that effectively gives you an exploit (drop decoy, shoot wolf in head)

Item degradation out of whack

What does that mean?

I also thing item degradation as it is now sucks and is one of the biggest flaws in the current gameplay but decay is real, everywhere and everytime, it should just start in the beginning of the game and not once you pick something up...

Nothing is perfect.

1) Item degradation, that leads to in-game behavior that is completely asinine (aka don't search containers until you need them , because whatever gets touch decays)

2) Tool repair

3) simplistic AI, that effectively gives you an exploit (drop decoy, shoot wolf in head)

because you are asking what people "dislike" and further "the most" So you say that there are things you dont like and want to name the one of all the things you dislike the most.

My suggestion is to not play any games you dont like ;)

If your question would have been: "what is the one thing that could be improved, or needs to be improved the most...." than the thread would have had a completely different character.

Nothing is perfect.

2) Tool repair

because you are asking what people "dislike" and further "the most" So you say that there are things you dont like and want to name the one of all the things you dislike the most.

If your question would have been: "what is the one thing that could be improved, or needs to be improved the most...." than the thread would have had a completely different character.

Pointless semantics, it's perfectly clear what the goal of the thread is considering the contest.

Nothing is perfect.

2) Tool repair

This was a direct take off of the sticky "What is the 1 thing you enjoy most about The Long Dark"

Item degradation out of whack

What does that mean?

I also thing item degradation as it is now sucks and is one of the biggest flaws in the current gameplay but decay is real, everywhere and everytime, it should just start in the beginning of the game and not once you pick something up...

Things like matches degrading when left in a dry indoors locale, hatchet degradation to ruined (dull?), have you ever tried to ruin a pry bar? Canned goods have a shelf life $&*% near eternity. Meats are fine tho there should be a longer life if left in a refrigerated environment, like hung in a tree.

There ought to be a whet stone in the game to resharpen tools, rather than have them degrade to nothing but scrap. My Case hunting knife is almost 40 years old and going strong, though needs a good honing.

Degradation is basically just wrong.

In the interest of providing actually useful feedback, I'll say a bit more than that. The degradation rates of nearly everything but fresh food is so accelerated it's comical. Tools that would last decades of use are damaged like they're made of papier-mâché, clothing disintegrates like its acetate-silk from Brave New World, and canned goods and preserved foods go bad so fast that humanity never would have bothered canning or preserving in the first place . I can't in good conscience agree with the folks saying there is too much loot when none of the loot is durable. If it lasted like it should, I'd be more onboard with limiting its availability.

Interestingly though, the devs have already created a world with massively less loot than one would expect to find in the scenario, and I admit it can be frustrating for the realist in me to explore cabinet after cabinet, or workshop after workshop, and find absolutely nothing. Real homes and businesses are chock-full of clothing, tools, and items that would be useful in an apocalypse, and I'm willing to bet you could live for at least a week or two on the dry goods and canned foods found in the average home, even if it wasn't traditional meals or things you especially liked. We're talking about a "Yay, dog food!" scenario - we'd certainly be willing to eat that old can of creamed corn too. Frankly, I think a "real world" version of this scenario would have such ample opportunity for scavenging that a person wouldn't bother gathering all the food and equipment they found until quite a long ways in to the situation. Heck, there's as much warm winter clothing in the bedroom closets of my suburban temperate-zone apartment as I've found in any complete map of the game. I realize that makes for less engaging gameplay, so I'm totally ok with the limits imposed as is, but it does tickle the back of my mind every time yet another container in a recently-occupied space is found empty, and especially when people call for less loot to be present.

Archived