Does the wind affect Ravine crossing?

TarjaS

In real life this would be a no-brainer, but does the wind have an effect in the game? My previous Ravine crossing ended badly. There was a strong wind, but I decided to go anyway and fell into the Ravine two steps from safety (getting of that last single rail). Last night I decided to play it safe and waited for several hours for the wind to die down. I'm happy to say that I survived I made it to CH.

Now, there are two options. Either the wind has an effect (as it should) or it's just a psychological thing, the sound of the wind and knowledge that you're getting colder all the time making you hurry, which in turn makes you careless, and then you fall. Which one is it? Of course it's probably both, if the first is true.

I'm about 99% sure wind will not affect crossing the train bridge rails. The wind does not push you from side to side, it only slows you down if walking into a head wind. I've crossed the rails probably 50 times or more and luckily never failed.

If wind gusts affecting your crossing the bridge should be added is a matter of gameplay and realism balance. It's better the way it is now (no effect) than if there was just a chance you could be blown off and nothing you could do about it. (especially in a permadeath hardcore game like this). It would be best IMO to introduce a wind system that can blow you side to side and off an edge, but give you the chance to regain your balance with a system similar to wolf defense. I just played Tomb Raider for the first time (the latest one) and it has a similar system (press x so many times or die) like wolf combat in TLD

I hadn't thought of crouching, I just go very slowly. I'll have try it the next time.

I had noticed that the wind slows you down when walking into it and that's why I suspected it may have an effect.

But I bet you never experienced that the protagonist started to move while standing still, because of the wind. So, it's not hard to figure out.

i always run, in any weather, exept the small part - there i just walk normal, i never ever fell

My nemisis is the back of hydro dam :mrgreen:

Says someone who probably doesn't have fingers that can twitch unexpectedly at the worst possible moments. Actually, it seems like the less welcome the twitching is, the more it happens, which is why I have trouble with very tense parts in games.

Archived