Wolves Bleeding out V.265

lupineways

I've been doing some testing with wolves bleeding out after knife struggles. I tested with fluffy in carter dam first and found that even after several struggles and resting letting time pass both outside and inside the dam, it appeared that fluffy came back to full health and never bled out after fighting. Eventually I killed him directly in a struggle.

I did something similar outside the Whaling Warehouse in Desolation Point. I struggled with the same wolf maybe 4 times. The first time I slept the night off in the warehouse and went searching for the corpse. Two additional times I went to sleep it off in a near by car for a bit after the struggle. Each time I heard yelps and cries from the wolf as if it was dying. When searching for the body I would only eventually find a fully healthy wolf ready to attack.

Is this a change to bleeding out behavior for wolves? I haven't seen any similar threads so I hope this isn't a repeat topic. I'm not complaining, this actually introduces more challenge to the game, but I do think it odd that they don't eventually bleed out after several struggles. I am curious if anyone else has been having similar experiences.

Edit: I found one wolf corpse outside the Whale Warehouse. Maybe I was dealing with 2 different wolves in the area. Either way, they do seem harder to make bleed out.

Edit 2: Found a second dead wolf after a few days, condition of the meat was very low so it suggests he was dead a while. I guess there are just several wolves prowling the area.

I had a very similar experience on Jackrabbit Island. I suppose there were two wolves prowling the area as fought against two full-health ones almost back to back. At the time I was sure the same wolf had come back for more.. The AI has been a bit weird for me, causing them to sometimes run straight at me when they escape.

I never found either body, though. If anything, it seems like they bleed out a lot slower (or I deal less damage to them before they run..) and as such make it a lot further away before dying.

In my gameplay of the new area, the wolves seem to bleed out just fine. There are at least 3-4 wolves around the whaling warehouse and the lighthouse. A new addition to the game is the wolf animation as they near death from bleeding out. They now slowdown and hang their head for a while before they finally slowly come to a stop and drop dead. It's funny how it actually made me feel sorry for the little bastards. Even when they are about to die, they can still attack you if you get to close, so beware.

Just prior to the update, I fought off a wolf outside the quonset station then followed the blood trail out to the ice.

Long story short, I actually saw the wolf fall over and die.

It was... strangely satisfying.

I have also followed a wounded wolf and saw the same thing, on near the lighthouse. Chased it around for a bit and it ran straight passed me as if fleeing.

Then its run slowed, till walking, then slow walk, at that stage I put an arrow in it!

My Experience (Stalker 0.265 DP - Foggy Day)

1st Wolf, Knife Fight:

Bleeding wolf runs away very fast. Runs in straight lines, bouncing off map edges like a rubber ball. Will run past player without changing direction or encountering.

Half a minute later, slows down but keeps running around. Can now follow easily.

Later still, starts walking. Can outrun it.

Then, continues on in a slow limp (very sad looking). Can walk past it.

Fall over. Whimper. Dead. Bled the whole time.

2nd Wolf, also a Knife Fight:

Same as first, but this time when it is limping and I am in front of it, it attacks me. After fighting again it runs away, again. That's right: Runs. Even though before I resumed stabbing it was limping.

Repeats behavior, fast running, running, walking, limping. This time it dies on its own.

EDIT:

3rd and 4th Wolf:

Same as second, except they died during the second knife fight.

I believe when wolves entering combat mode, their current bleeding state is disregarded and they spring towards you, even if injured. This sounds buggy. They should very much avoid confrontation when in bleeding state and just try to hide/walk away from players.

Archived