Wolves no longer a serious threat.

Lovehandel

I play on Voyageur difficulty and find that wolves have been tuned way too low. I like Voyageur the number of wolves & bears suits the way I like to play. You have to be careful, but it's not like a four legged zombie fest.

It seems that they hardly do any physical damage now. Sure wolf attacks cost resources (torn clothes, bandages, etc.) But it is almost impossible to die from a wolf attack.

This became very clear to me last night. After completing the final Steam achievement, I decided to remove all inventory (including clothes), run out of the Pleasant Valley Farm House to a stand of trees and die by wolf.

I had to attack the wolf three times before I died. The first time, I just took Clothing damage, sprained wrist and bruising (even though I was naked), the next, bleeding and infection risk,both times I got up with the dizzy effect and the wolf was walking away slowly. He finally killed me the third time I jumped him. I never fought back on any of these encounters.

Did I just get that right? Even if you don't fight back at all, voyageur wolves don't kill you but instead leave you be after doing some damage? oO''

That is exactly what happened three times in a row. I was completely naked and did not fight back. (was going to start a new run) Well two times, third time I died but may have bled to death from the second encounter, not sure.

Well, I guess it might be some kind of security mechanism for people who find even lmb-only-klicking too difficult. :?

I think you should probably move on to Stalker if Voyageur doesn't feel challenging for you any more. Can't tell you if you can actually get killed by Stalker wolves (because I'm usually trying NOT to die when I get jumped^^), but I think so.

Regarding your question: There are more wolves (and less deer) in Stalker and the wolves' detection range is also slightly higher. Moreover, wolves are spawning right at the beginning of your game. Not sure if they do more damage, but I would somehow find that logical. Just try it out. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I play on Voyageur difficulty and find that wolves have been tuned way too low.

In the latest update V.264, wolf damage during an encounter is not excessive; fairly easy to survive a single attack or two attacks if you are in good condition. If however, you have pushed yourself too far and are fatigued, the ability to fight off the wolves is greatly degraded so the chances of a single or double wolf attack killing you are much higher. Wolves seem able to sense your weak condition. Rudely, that seems to be when I return from a multi-day expedition loaded with hides and guts. I guess it pays to camp outside town or sneak into the Coastal Town before plowing straight ahead toward the Quonset hut.

The wolves are very active and now seem able to move around a fire to get you. These wolves are getting smarter and the game is getting harder. Thank goodness the weather conditions have improved vastly. We still get some nasty blizzards but at least not every day is like that.

How many days surviving in the new update do you have Lovehandel? Maybe you have been lucky to avoid the ambush or are playing smart to avoid the wolves. I find that carrying a torch alone is not always enough to discourage them.

"How many days surviving in the new update do you have Lovehandel? Maybe you have been lucky to avoid the ambush or are playing smart to avoid the wolves. I find that carrying a torch alone is not always enough to discourage them."

I think I am at about 20 days since starting new for the update. When I made this post I had just finished the 200 day steam achievement and was going to start over. I don't really play to see how long I could go, once you have the bow you can probably live beyond my ability to stay focused on a single run.

I particularly like the first few weeks and would probably enjoy the last possible 10 days or so, but the time in between is too much for me, So I continually start new runs.

As for the wolves, I was attacked twice on my way from Trappers to Camp Site and arrived at the office at 76% health. I was carrying 42kg

I started a new game today in Voyageur after playing in Pilgrim for a long time. I was positively surprised by the fact that I can finally survive a wolf attack, even with my not-so-perfectly functioning reflexes and fingers. The wolves' appearance and the noises they make, on the other hand, are a lot scarier than before.

I started a new game today in Voyageur after playing in Pilgrim for a long time. I was positively surprised by the fact that I can finally survive a wolf attack, even with my not-so-perfectly functioning reflexes and fingers. The wolves' appearance and the noises they make, on the other hand, are a lot scarier than before.

I like voyageur, not because of the severity of the wolf attacks, but the frequency. I like there not being a wolf around every corner. I am not really complaining (well, maybe I am) I just wish there was a little more incentive to avoid the wolves, or at least care weather I run into them.

I've been using the wolves to hunt deer and rabbits for me. I didn't realize they _could_ attack me on Pilgrim.

What I do is watch for a wolf who is near a deer or rabbits, and circle behind them so they "run away" towards the food animal. The hunting instinct is stronger than the flee instinct. They make the kill and start eating. I walk up and the wolf gets scared and runs away. With a deer, I usually manage to get at least 8 kilos of meat doing this, as well as the hide/gut.

I have pairs of deerskin pants and boots made doing this, as well as rabbit mittens. I'm hoping to convince the bear at Mystery Lake to kill wolves for me, but the wolves don't seem to patrol when the bear is awake.

You might want to tune this up a bit on Pilgrim. At a a bare minimum, I should have to use a flare to scare the wolf off of a fresh kill.

• 1 month later...

The growl is menacing one again!

Even when fighting back as hard as I can, it looks like there is a chance I could die from wolf attacks. This is how it should be. I will test it more when I am ready to start a new run, but it certainly seems like the wolves on voyager have their teeth back.

Thanks.

I play all games on Stalker. Haven't even tried other game-modes, so I woudln't know what the difference is. But on Stalker, wolves are what you'd meet out in the wild. Sometimes you'll surprise them and scare them away (even without a torch or flare), the other times they'll come growling or running at you.

I'm currently on day 65 or so of my current run. Visited Desolation zone, haven't found any dragons, dwarves or hobbitses, but I found a bear, [spoil]a wolf in a cave[/spoil], plenty of wolves roaming around the countryside/ice, some rabbits and lots and lots of scrapmetal. Also a couple of mines with coal.

Yesterday however, late at night I found an Alpha male/Beta female. I was returning late previous night from a nearby area with [spoil]the aforementioned wolf in a cave, but it also had a dead deer and a rifle spawn, having no torches and loath to spend a flare, weighed down by wolf and deer hide / meat, I went back outside to the[/spoil] waterfall and returned towards home. One wolf on the lake came towards me, a thrown flare and a gunshot later, he was gone to Wolfhalla. I take the meat and skin and return into the slaughterhouse. Now, the creepy thing is, whenever I'm lighting a fire, there's creaks and noises like footsteps then opening of a door. Creepy and scary. Especially when you play in the dark with headphones.

Anyhow, after resting I went outside and saw a wolf come at me at full run. Aimed my rifle and knicked him above his right eye. Blood fountained, just like it does when you shoot a wolf in the head with an arrow. Surprisingly, the wolf turned away and kept running around for 3 minutes, enduring a shot to the back (yet another spray of blood) and another into it's chest (bloodspray as well). There was a blood trail and he was running around, then started limping and when I was aiming to end his misery, he changed his mind and attacked me. Only one of us came out of that fight alive and given how i ate his/her meat, Wolfhalla door were open again.

3 bullets and a knife fight to take down one wolf. Seemed rather excessive. Especially since I was left near Free Willy Safehouse down to 45% condition and I spied a bear in the distance.

I've been using the wolves to hunt deer and rabbits for me. I didn't realize they _could_ attack me on Pilgrim.

What I do is watch for a wolf who is near a deer or rabbits, and circle behind them so they "run away" towards the food animal. The hunting instinct is stronger than the flee instinct. They make the kill and start eating. I walk up and the wolf gets scared and runs away. With a deer, I usually manage to get at least 8 kilos of meat doing this, as well as the hide/gut.

I have pairs of deerskin pants and boots made doing this, as well as rabbit mittens. I'm hoping to convince the bear at Mystery Lake to kill wolves for me, but the wolves don't seem to patrol when the bear is awake.

You might want to tune this up a bit on Pilgrim. At a a bare minimum, I should have to use a flare to scare the wolf off of a fresh kill.

Yeah, you are right, it is way to easy to survive in pilgrim mode when you can just scare the wolf away from his kill just by running up to it. I have done the same thing when I am hunting, especially when using the rifle, for what I call a "2fer," two kills for the price of one. I don't like to have to waste more than one bullet to harvest a deer and a wolf for meat and hides. Since most hits on most animals in pilgrim mode end up as mortal wounds it is easy to just walk up to the wolf as it is feeding and either put a bullet or an arrow in him. It would be nice to see the wolf maybe be a little more aggressive in protecting it's kill.

The once and only time that I was ever attacked by a wolf, was when I was taking advantage of a 2fer situation out on the ice on the CH and I shot the wolf with my last and only remaining arrow wounding it but not killing it. The wounded wolf ran off, I followed the blood trail at a walking pace and in the distance as it started slowing down from blood loss, I quickly closed in on the beast. As I got nearer, I sprinted the final distance rapidly closing the gap and to my amazement, the wolf turns and lunges towards me and all of a sudden I am having to fight back against what I thought was a near dead animal. I was a little slow in mashing the lmb over and over and subsequently took quite a bit of damage, but I gotta say that was the best game day playing pilgrim mode. :P

The new wolves look fantastic! I'm loving the new painterly style... Wolves looked really flat before.

I agree, It's nice to not die in voyageur just because a random blizzard started and wolves started coming out of nowhere. As long as you're diligent, the new torches really help prevent death-by-wolf.

If you find wolves to be too small a threat in pilgrim mode, just switch to a higher difficulty or go Stalker right away ;)

However, even in Stalker, with one arrow you can down about 5 wolves if you manage head-shots.

I even had the test "You won't get away that easily" and the bar show up as the arrow struck home and killed it instantly.

Archived