into the dark

kensal1978

hi I'm ken this into the dark alpha version is great but I've found that after buying the game if you have a water container & use it twice the container disappears ? why this can be filled again with more water from the snow !! plus I've noticed that on the stoves in the lake & logging map if you light them up how comes you can't use the pan on it or mugs or containers in the huts as usage for boiling up snow into hot water for drinking then refilling your container again for more usage ? it seems if this was allowed as n real life you might stay alive a lot longer as I've tried this a couple of times now but to no avail. still the alpha version is great just wish you can add these items I've said to make it more realistic & playable as it's not how it works if you was in the snow outdoors in Canada as my brother does & boiling up snow for drinks or hot food is fun & normal. all my friends on xbox one now know about this game hopefully more will try it we all nearly beta test lots of games anyway I think this is mad max in the snow wicked :) thanks hinterland for giving me a game & old git like me does really enjoy cheers ken cromar 53+

Hi Ken, welcome to the forums!

For the time being, you should just assume your character has all the cooking pots and all the water bottles he needs. They "disappear" because they aren't really items in the game. Just make a fire, and you can melt snow and boil the water (for safety). As for cooking pots, just assume they're not there and cook away.

I hope when I'm 53+ I can still enjoy games. :)

edit: apparently I didn't finish typing.

Glad you joined us, Ken! Like Aduron said, you don't really need to worry about having a container for your water. You can find bottled water throughout the world, but you can also cozy up to a fire and melt some of your own -- A water jug will automatically appear in your inventory once this is done. The same goes for tea and coffee: If you have the water ready in your inventory, just select the beverage of your choice, and a little cup will appear full of some tasty coffee or tea. If it gets cold before you get a chance to drink it, you can always reheat it. =)

Always feel free to ask questions or make suggestions. As you can see, we have a pretty friendly and welcoming community that's always eager to help (thanks, Aduron!).

Welcome!

hi would just like too say I love THE LONG DARK even though on voyaguer level in mystery lake I cannot live more than a day & half the demise s too quick. now trying pilgrim level on mystery lake so far so good hopefully lasting much longer. just wish there was a save button too use as I could have continued tomorrow with same level but heh cheers ken hopefully your put much more nto this game & i'll keep perseverving with the long dark as I love it......

hi am now on pilgrim level mystery lake now lived 29 days yeeheh still trying to recce all of the map each time trying to navigate all zones!!! now own rabbit mitts dear leggings own a rifle enjoying this game more & more hope you open it up more i'll stay with this zone for this week then try a different zone ok thanks ken cromar !!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've now lasted 54 days plus on pilgrim level finding out you can kill venison & wolfs with your rifle & bow & arrow but can't kill a bear !! I've tried twice hahah eaten both times the only thing I'm finding s how long does the game last before you get rescued by logging companies who come to work in the summer months ? & how hard it is to find extra tems i.e. bullets for your rifle or goods on the mystery lake scene I've scouted the trappers hut over to the hydro station dropping off at different huts around the terrain but getting replacement goods is difficult making you relying on animal clothing & eating wild food on a daily basis great fun but it'll be nice to find goods that you wouldn't expect to find !! now realising that when do go to play the voyager level which remains a much tougher level to live you have to be well practiced at this basic level even with outdoor skills in real life. what I can't understand is why you can't use your hunting knife prybar or hatchet as a makeshift weapon as you would in real life to defend yourself against wild animals it'll help out surviving in this game please . thanks hopefully much more add ons to give it a much more playable game or t'll become boring after a bit as at least n mad max it's a hunter gatherer game with fighting nasty other people with this it's fighting wild animals with a disadvantage unless you can use your knife prybar or hatchet for defence please thanks ken cromar still having a go ...................

54 days is great! You can definitely kill bears -- Just plan ahead in case things don't go your way, and be very aware of where you aim. Where you hit the animal definitely matters in terms of how many shots it takes to bring them down. Sounds like you're doing a lot of learning and exploration on your own as well -- That's great! Best of luck surviving even longer =)

thanks Bethany yep this ol' 53 yr old isn't doing to bad :-) just wish I could find more bullets cartridges for my .303 loved shooting them for real when in army cadets long time ago. Bethany are you going to add more items to find in the maps as in give the person a better chance of survival as I think anyone playing this for the first time they need to play pilgrim level first to understand the terrain & map before venturing into voyager level as finding shelter & food & items s quite hard when you first start. still trying to find anything else I can scavage for use for food or to use as tems for weapons or equipment for survival . 'll be back on playing in about an hour 2pm our time as your a good 7 plus hours benind :-) my brother lives in Calgary love it there great place camping in jasper great fun love to vist the smashed in buffalo head indian reservation again really enjoyed the people & the land there just like Scotland but larger thanks Bethany & crew i'll keep boasting this game out to my friends hope to get more involved cheers ken cromar....

well I just killed myself yesterday on mystery lake after 65 days fell down a ravine past the hydro power station trying to get past the derailed train hahahhaa so have to start all over again still trying to find a way out of the mystery lake area to safety if that's possible ? oh well here we go again cheers ken cromar .....

Archived