Bear traps !

WinterWhite

What about bear traps ? Craftable with scrap metal , and findable in some places ? A good way to have traps that don't only kill bunnies .... and it wouls be great to see a wolf be hurted by the trap but not at each time one shotted, and let the player have to follow the blood leaved behind the wolf,that died not far from the trap .

Since bears are such a bonanza of goods, I would make the cost of a resettable bear trap pretty steep. 3-4 scrap metal, and maybe a new item? Wire or springs, something like that. And a LONG craft time. 24 hours or so. Something to signify the care you have to put into making it correctly.

Additionally, this could make the woods more treacherous if other people in the past had placed traps of their own for you to step into.

You could recover them from those placements, too!

I want the injury for accidentally triggering/stepping in your own traps to be severe and immobilizing.

Maybe a complete loss of movement from the trap.

Or if movement is granted, you can only crawl/crouch walk all the way to safety. Also a fast bleedout

It should be noted that working bear traps with metal teeth clamps are quite restricted and mostly illegal to use hunting in Canada, so it's not something you commonly find lying around.

As you can see by the chart on page 95, bear traps are not allowed:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hu ... ations.pdf

For those less familiar with actual trapping, and just want it as a fun activity for the game, here's some info:

(I've put it in the spoiler as some of the details can get a little specific and graphic, and may not be appropriate for some audiences)

[spoil]http://furbearerdefenders.com/trapping-and-wildlife/types-of-traps

[bBvideo 560,340:asq8kpvw]

[/bBvideo][/spoil]

i think being able to craft a leg-hold trap from scrap metal is pretty far-fetched honestly. There's other types of traps that would be more plausibly built by hand. Leg-holds would be more believable as a found item.

That's true, but keep anyway the possibility to repair it (as the rifle) can be nice. ;)

I'd thought of this myself, before but honestly, considering how horrifying the reality of what leg-hold traps do is, I'd actually prefer that it stay out of the game, unless the game wants to go for a darker tone than I think it means for.

That's a solid point. I'm constantly campaigning for things to stay realistic, and the reality of those traps might be too much. I retract my leg-hold trap endorsement.

At start, I've just made this topic to give to Hinterland a good idea to make a wolf/bear killing trap(whatever kind of) but this topic turned into a moral/wildlife protection political part :-) but i want to preserve the real wildlife, of course....

But Damn!!!! it's a game! It's made to be "fun"!

At start, I've just made this topic to give to Hinterland a good idea to make a wolf/bear killing trap(whatever kind of) but this topic turned into a moral/wildlife protection political part :-) but i want to preserve the real wildlife, of course.... But Damn!!!! it's a game! It's made to be "fun"!

For my post, I was mainly pointing out that the types of traps that were suggested would not normally be legal in Canada (where the game takes place), and hence not used enough to make reasonable sense to include. Could illegal trapping take place - yes.... but it still wouldn't normally fit that area.

The video I simply added because a lot of players are quite desensitized since traps are quite common in many adventure games, so the video kinda shows why Canada put in trapping restrictions for use and on equipment.

We have bunny snares in the game [which are legal], so it's not really a morality issues as much as keeping the game to a Canadian guideline.

At start, I've just made this topic to give to Hinterland a good idea to make a wolf/bear killing trap(whatever kind of) but this topic turned into a moral/wildlife protection political part :-) but i want to preserve the real wildlife, of course.... But Damn!!!! it's a game! It's made to be "fun"!

For my post, I was mainly pointing out that the types of traps that were suggested would not normally be legal in Canada (where the game takes place), and hence not used enough to make reasonable sense to include. Could illegal trapping take place - yes.... but it still wouldn't normally fit that area.

The video I simply added because a lot of players are quite desensitized since traps are quite common in many adventure games, so the video kinda shows why Canada put in trapping restrictions for use and on equipment.

We have bunny snares in the game [which are legal], so it's not really a morality issues as much as keeping the game to a Canadian guideline.

For your post, i'm okay, you're just saying that it wouldn't fit wiith the game because of the fact that it's not legal and so not common(this is the reason why i said that other types of traps would be nice too, at the condition that they kill others animals that bunnies

but my post was mostly aiming those who said things like "horrifying reality " or "the game turning into a darker one" I dont care, i just want wolf/bear killing trap to have the possiblity to be more settled

You can't buy bear traps in Canada AFAIK nor could you mcgyver one from scrap metal.

If you were in a survival situation, you could however dig a pit trap for bear with sharpened stakes. I think that is a nice enhancement for TLD. Of course, falling into it is a hazard for the unwary just like running full steam into your fire.

-1 digging pit trap with spikes...

It's winter, with frozen ground. I't hard enough getting people to shovel their driveway let alone digging a [as an example] 4 by 7 metres (13 ft × 23 ft) or larger trapping pit that also need to be several metres (yards) deep.

And then you need a means to camouflage it, bait it, support the weight of multiple snowfalls (which you'll also need to clear each time), and further design where you can extract the wounded or killed animal.

Possibly for a spring or summer setting, but personally doesn't seem logical for a winter edition. :|

horrible...good thing this is a game... with respect I understand the reason for posting this clip and in real life I'm all against this kind of hunting... but gamewise we allready have a snare, which is posted in this clip why would it be any diffrent to have an other means of survivial. And nature is pretty brutal against us all in the game...even the wildlife is more agressive than in real life...anyways...love the game as it is so fare and I'm looking forward for future updates...with or without traps ;)

Archived