Fairly new and LOVING this game ... questions for you vets

Doc Gonzo

Hello all, fairly new player (three weeks and counting) and, like many of you, I’m loving this game. I’ve hit my first +50 day game (voyager) and really enjoying it. I do have some questions though that hopefully some of you vets can answer or at least share your thoughts about.

Do animals that are wounded but not killed always bleed out or do they sometimes recover? It seems like most of the time when I’m following a blood trail it just disappears after some distance. On the rare occasions that I do follow one to conclusion I of course find the carcass but more often than not it seems to disappear, leading me to the question about the status of the animal in question.

Do flocks of crows only circle over bodies that are there when you first start a game on day one? This is sort of tied to my previous question. If I wound an animal that then runs into the hills only to die will crows eventually circle over it? It seems as if they don’t but I’m curious what other, more experienced, players think.

Is it just me or can you not fire the bow while crouched? That seems to make hunting deer rather tough to do. Anyone else experience this?

When you all eventually plan on crossing zones for the purpose of resource gathering what do you take with you when you start from where ever your home base is at? I think I’m dreadfully over packed and with all the player crafted clothes (god they’re heavy) I’m usually more weight than I think is prudent. I’d like to hear what you carry and what the total weight is when you set out to cross over maps/zones.

Again absolutely fantastic game and I’m truly addicted. I haven’t felt like this playing a game since 1999 when Everquest launched. The feeling you get when you realize that one mistake will reset you to day one is thrilling. It makes that first step out of where you’re based filled with trepidation every time. Loving it! Thanks all in advance.

(I also posted this on the Reddit sub but it moves sort of slow there)

Hello all, fairly new player (three weeks and counting) and, like many of you, I’m loving this game. I’ve hit my first +50 day game (voyager) and really enjoying it.

Welcome to the forums!

Do animals that are wounded but not killed always bleed out or do they sometimes recover? It seems like most of the time when I’m following a blood trail it just disappears after some distance. On the rare occasions that I do follow one to conclusion I of course find the carcass but more often than not it seems to disappear, leading me to the question about the status of the animal in question.

In my experience, animals do not necessarily bleed out when you wound them. I think it's based on the quality of your shot.

Do flocks of crows only circle over bodies that are there when you first start a game on day one? This is sort of tied to my previous question. If I wound an animal that then runs into the hills only to die will crows eventually circle over it?

Crows are sometimes there on day one, but never circle over player- or wolf-killed corpses. Crows come out when the weather is acceptable.

Is it just me or can you not fire the bow while crouched? That seems to make hunting deer rather tough to do. Anyone else experience this?

Bow-hunting deer is a lot of fun! You're right, you can't fire while crouched, and I think that's intentional. It's been a long time since I shot a bow IRL, but I remember they require quite a bit of strength, so I'm guessing that's why that was put into the game. You need to practice standing up, aiming quickly, and shooting. I usually stand up and release an arrow within a second or two, or if I can't, I don't take the shot.

When you all eventually plan on crossing zones for the purpose of resource gathering what do you take with you when you start from where ever your home base is at? I think I’m dreadfully over packed and with all the player crafted clothes (god they’re heavy) I’m usually more weight than I think is prudent. I’d like to hear what you carry and what the total weight is when you set out to cross over maps/zones.

I used to be in your boat. Now, I only craft the boots and the gloves, as I find everything else has acceptable, lighter equivalents. That helps a ton, but do whatever you need to be happy! Also, I don't bring the rifle everywhere (in fact, I typically just use the bow on all longer outings). I only keep 3-5 arrows on me at any time, and only the obvious tools. Keep in mind that you will likely find food whenever you go someplace new, so don't bring too much to the party. Bring some water (<1L), and some basic fire-making material (<1kg in total). Go through your inventory and for each item ask "When will I use this on my next trip?". I think my long-outing pack, with water and an emergency (light) bit of food weighs in at about 20kg (/30kg total, just in case you're using Amur-ican units). That's enough room to grab an entire deer while I'm out, if necessary.

Hope that helps!

Archived