Xbox One and PC Merge--Only Pay Once?

jdbbcd

Hello!! I am very excited to try this game, but I have both Steam and XB1. Will I be required to purchase this twice, for both platforms? I would like to know before making the first purchase. Thank you!!!!!

Xbox [Microsoft] and Steam [Valve] are two completely different companies, so if you want The Long Dark available for play on bother PC and Xbox One then yes it would require two separate purchases.

NOTE: Xbox One does have a free 1-hour trial in their Game Preview section

• 3 weeks later...
Xbox [Microsoft] and Steam [Valve] are two completely different companies, so if you want The Long Dark available for play on bother PC and Xbox One then yes it would require two separate purchases.

NOTE: Xbox One does have a free 1-hour trial in their Game Preview section

Sure they are but it would still be possible to get steam version free if you had bought xbobx version if hinterland wanted.

Not suggesting that they should, but it's possible.

All technical issues aside, when you buy a game on Steam, a percentage (or fixed amount, I don't know) goes to Valve. Giving you a steam version for free if you buy the XBox version would mean Hinterland having to pay Valve that amount. Valve doesn't want to miss out on their money just because you bought the game for the XBox... The same is true if they were to give a free XBox copy with every game sold on Steam, only now they would have to pay Microsoft.

Of course they could increase the price to cover those additional costs, but then all players who don't want to play the game on both platforms would have to pay for it as well. And how would they deal with it if/ when the game is released on the PS? Should you get a free copy for that as well?

Giving you a steam version for free if you buy the XBox version would mean Hinterland having to pay Valve that amount.

I don't think that's true, they should be able to get free keys for their game from steam as long as they don't offer them for greenlight votes.

That is still, essentially, money out of the studio's pocket. If Valve and Microsoft were linked, the story might be different. Unfortunately they aren't, and it isn't. So, it's technically possible, but terrible business practice, and not a smart or viable option long-term. I can't think of any game that offers this option, but I could be wrong.

I can't think of any game that offers this option, but I could be wrong.

Guardians of Middle-Earth (pc copy if you own on console)

Destiny (ps3 -> ps4 or x360 -> xbox one)

So, it's technically possible, but terrible business practice, and not a smart or viable option long-term.

I agree, I guess I just had to nitpick about the reasons you won't get copies to many platforms on one purchase :lol:

Guardians of Middle-Earth (pc copy if you own on console)

Steam: "Mostly Negative" [78% of reviews are negative]

NOTE: Nowhere on the Steam page do they offer a free copy to the console owners

The free Steam copy you're talking about was from years ago, and only offered as a limited time PC pre-release claiming code promotion. The PC version was extremely glitchy, never fully completed, and the project became pretty much abandoned [dead game for future PC support]. The original studio closed when it was bought out by Warner Bros.

The official site is non-existent [or at least only comes up as a blank screen when I access it], and even Warner Bros. product page contains no support or details - only a link to purchase the game through Amazon. When you click on the Amazon link on the WB site, it goes to some small store selling off their last 2 copies from old stock]

Neither the Microsoft Xbox nor Sony Playstation official sites offer a free Steam copy.

Destiny (ps3 -> ps4 or x360 -> xbox one)

"Destiny" is not available on Steam.

The promotion you're talking about DOES NOT give you a free copy on multiple unrelated consoles or platforms. It is strictly for an updated copy which will work on the newer generation console for which the game was originally purchased.

You do not get a free Sony Playstation version by buying an Xbox copy, and you do not get a free Microsoft Xbox version by buying a Playstation version.

Steam: "Mostly Negative" [78% of reviews are negative]

When did we start talking about steam ratings?

NOTE: Nowhere on the Steam page do they offer a free copy to the console owners

Not anymore, but they did so it's possible, and that's what I was talking about.

The PC version was extremely glitchy, never fully completed, and the project became pretty much abandoned [dead game for future PC support]. The original studio closed when it was bought out by Warner Bros.

When did we start talking about the quality of the game?

Neither the Microsoft Xbox nor Sony Playstation official sites offer a free Steam copy.

That's why I said steam copy if you own console version.

"Destiny" is not available on Steam.

The promotion you're talking about DOES NOT give you a free copy on multiple unrelated consoles or platforms. It is strictly for an updated copy which will work on the newer generation console for which the game was originally purchased.

You do not get a free Sony Playstation version by buying an Xbox copy, and you do not get a free Microsoft Xbox version by buying a Playstation version.

Yes that's why i had those arrows indicating that you get free ps4 version if you own ps3 version and same with xbox upgrade. And I didn't even say a word about steam so I thought that would be pretty easy to understand.

I think I might lock this topic before it gets combative.

We hear you! But won't be offering a "buy one get one" package. I guess that's the bottom line =)

Thanks for the support though. It's nice to know players are enjoying themselves enough to want to move across platforms.

Archived