[load to blank screen] black in this case

sbseed

latest version, upgrade... game loads to blank black screen and sits there, running but doing nothing.

need to check the game start/intro/etc. function calls

should also check auto adjust functions

and main menu/exit menu items.

the game is not triggering proper advancement coding for anything, suspect menu/intro/background coding.

its not that the game doesn't run, it just stalls and does not trigger anything.

now that i think about it, it could also be an issue with steam overlay code.

anyone who has the blank screen (whatever the color) has the same exact issue, should post/repost here...

the color really doesn't have anything to do with the non-processing that is happening the color is dependent on default background chosen by OS (from what i can see).

• 5 weeks later...

yea, already tried that...

have also tried all the 'workarounds'...

have restarted steam, have restarted my computer, have reinstalled....

and yes the hardware is plugged in properly thank you.

like many thousands of other people, this happened with one of the last 3-4 updates... it is a programming issue, there is a missing piece of code or an error has occurred with the 'start/run' functions of the game.

this is not a client error, this is not a hardware conflict, this is not a GPU issue.

edit:

FYI, for some reason i dont get any of the emails to notify me if this thread is every updated or posted to.

Board: Z87-G43 (MS-7816) 1.0

Bus Clock: 100 megahertz

UEFI: American Megatrends Inc. V1.3 06/06/2013

3.50 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770K

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 [Display adapter]

Windows 7 Professional (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)

Slot 'ChannelA-DIMM0' has 8192 MB

Slot 'ChannelA-DIMM1' is Empty

Slot 'ChannelB-DIMM0' has 8192 MB

Slot 'ChannelB-DIMM1' is Empty

c: (NTFS on drive 0) * 159.80 GB 13.09 GB free

d: (NTFS on drive 1) 2000.40 GB 527.03 GB free

output_log.txt

already had this installed, reinstalled and surprise surprise, it didn't work...

any 'quick fix' that you can think up i have already tried, what part of this did you not understand?

once again this is not a client side issue... it is possible that it is a conflict with steam, but that strikes me as remote since it doesn't make any difference if the overlay is running alongside the game or not.

which means something in the code/script at start of the program has most likely been changed, or something is not being changed updated in the registry.

try not to ignore the obvious when everything else has already been ruled out.

If it was code probably everybody would be having the same issue. I run this game on three different computers from a range of old and crappy to pretty good and I don't have a problem. Moreover, thousands of people are playing right now without a problem. In fact somebody is steaming it on Twitch as I write this. I can tell you are frustrated and sometimes when I get frustrated I miss a simple step or over look something obvious. When this happens I take step back and slowly and methodically rebuild whatever I am doing from step one. I suggest the same, wipe the game completely and re-install, heck it my be worth it to re-install the Steam client. I know you have already done this but do it again and take your time make sure everything is done and complete before moving on to the next step. Test at each step to make sure things are running properly, if you re-install Steam make sure another game works before downloading TLD.

All I do is program and troubleshoot all day for work and trust me I know how frustrating it can be when things are going badly. For me it has meant missed vacations, lost dollars, and the loss of personal relationships over the years. But I've gotten pretty good at it and what was suggested by mcopeman and JPOW has worked in other cases.

Give it a shot and let us know how it goes :]

there are thousands more with the exact same problem as this.

this always happens when companies start a combined production of the game for more than one platform, instead of coding for specific platforms it uses a general code.

for your information i have reinstalled the game 3 times already, i have verified the game 4 times and more, i have check the dll's and ini, i have check the start bat files for specific OS (which also start the game with no overlay), i have even tried to get my money back twice at this point because i cannot play the game...

i have tried adding the game to firewall/virus/adware blocker programs... i have tried to run the game without steam on at all, i have tried to run the game as admin, i have tried to run the game on compatibility mode, i have tried everything that is possible to try on the client side.

for the last time, there is nothing that you can come up with for me to try that i have not already done (probably several times) to try to get this game to work now... now if i am not the only one running into this issue and it's also affecting other platforms, what does that tell you????

try and tell me its not programming/coding issues... seriously have you not noticed how many people have complained about this on the steam forum for the game?, not just from pc users?

when did hinterland decide they were going to start working on a multiplatform game?

about 3-4 updates ago would you say, yea!

its not unreasonable that i am getting a little annoyed at this point.

so far hinterland and company have not even recognized this as an issue!

(even though thousands of people are experiencing the same)

How about de-installing everything cleaning the registry -> Defrag hard disk -> Re-install.

Or if running on a separate disk than the OS is running putting it on the same disk as the OS.

Just a couple of suggestions that have helped me in the past with other programs.

i shouldn't have to mess with the registry, uninstalling the game would not make any difference to registry entries.

i have had to do that before, but usually its with steam or some other program that acts like a virus/trojan, and if that is the case with this game then it should be recalled.

not to mention little details like finding all the active entries, because of hinterlands sloppy programming, it is next to impossible to find all of them.

this will be the third time i have ever had to delete registry entries from a game in my 30 plus years, one of the other two games was alpha prime an abortion of digital waste, the other was an EA game that almost fucked up my OS, if it is required to mess around in the registry to 'fix' something with a game then the game and the company are not worth bothering with.

so in this case, give me my damn money back, since you cannot program/code your way out of a wet paper sack... your game is now a complete fail.

you can authorise a refund by talking to valve/steam... steam id sbseed.

i will no longer be supporting this company ever again.

So far I seen the dev (and other users) try things step by step with what turned out to be the common issues with most systems... but you get blatantly nasty and demand they're incompetent, and 100% at fault and either have to give you a full refund or else...

Given that going step by step has corrected most of the same issues for others (which is why they go through steps to try in order), but you insist your machine is perfect and absolutely demand the devs are completely at fault, then either your machine isn't so perfect or has a conflict, or the game should not work on most machines.

After All, you accuse them of completely incompetent programming skills.... not exactly a way to get people even interested in helping you. You complain other EA games have F***ed up your OS before, so plain and simple - stop running EA games if your system is that sensitive...

But threatening the devs, that's not only insulting, it's grounds for banning...

• Hinterland
there are thousands more with the exact same problem as this.

this always happens when companies start a combined production of the game for more than one platform, instead of coding for specific platforms it uses a general code.

for your information i have reinstalled the game 3 times already, i have verified the game 4 times and more, i have check the dll's and ini, i have check the start bat files for specific OS (which also start the game with no overlay), i have even tried to get my money back twice at this point because i cannot play the game...

i have tried adding the game to firewall/virus/adware blocker programs... i have tried to run the game without steam on at all, i have tried to run the game as admin, i have tried to run the game on compatibility mode, i have tried everything that is possible to try on the client side.

for the last time, there is nothing that you can come up with for me to try that i have not already done (probably several times) to try to get this game to work now... now if i am not the only one running into this issue and it's also affecting other platforms, what does that tell you????

try and tell me its not programming/coding issues... seriously have you not noticed how many people have complained about this on the steam forum for the game?, not just from pc users?

when did hinterland decide they were going to start working on a multiplatform game?

about 3-4 updates ago would you say, yea!

its not unreasonable that i am getting a little annoyed at this point.

so far hinterland and company have not even recognized this as an issue!

(even though thousands of people are experiencing the same)

We're sorry to see you're having issues with the game. I'd like to address a few points:

1) You have an issue, which is unfortunate and we're doing our best to support you. If you are abusive to any members of our community, or any of our moderators, you will be banned.

2) Identifying this issue as one relating to us developing on multiple platforms is silly. We're using a single engine (Unity) which is designed for multi-platform use. Also, the issue you are encountering here is being experienced by a relatively small number of players.

3) In your negative Steam review of the game, you mention being angry that neither Steam or we have issued a refund. We are not able to issue refunds -- only Valve can do that. Valve's refund policy for Steam is pretty clear; users who have played a game for more than 2 hours or owned it for more than 2 weeks cannot get a refund.

Now to the matter at hand -- my team has been working with you to try to resolve your issues, we've been working with you to try known solutions to known issues, and the fact that these solutions have not worked for you suggests an alternate issue which, as far as we know, is unique to you.

If you can find your way to working with us on this, we will continue to support you and try to find a solution. But only if your tone changes.

Your purchase of the game does not entitle you to abuse members of my team or of the general community. If your behaviour persists, you will be banned from this community and you can continue to take your refund issues up with Valve directly.

Archived