Finding secret locations inside

exeexe

So i thought about something. How about if you move furniture you can find secret locations inside houses?

So i thought it should be a challenge to do it, so first u need to have your gear. What you need is work boots to protect your foot if a furniture should fall on your feet, kerosine for lubrication to reduce friction (maybe peanut butter?), and a prybar.

Also maybe give work boots some combat points when fighting wolves?

Work boots:

http://thelongdark.wikia.com/wiki/Work_Boots

Secret bookcase doors:

While I think a secret door is a bit much, I do believe a concealed door would be ok. Especially if the concealed door was just a rug thrown over a trapdoor in the floor.

On a similar note, I think making a few cave entrances concealed would be cool too. If you looked at them head on they would appear just like the cliff wall but as you changed perspective the illusion would fail to deceive.

When I move a piece of furniture in my house, I do not need to wear special boots for it, and I certainly don't smear peanut butter on the floor, let alone kerosene. Do you? I would certainly like to see that. 8-)

I can say for sure that i have furniture that i cant move alone. Maybe you are poor and cant afford proper furniture but not everyone is like that.

So i thought now that you are alone some lubricant will certainly help.

I can say for sure that i have furniture that i cant move alone. Maybe you are poor and cant afford proper furniture but not everyone is like that.

Maybe he's also simply stronger than you or likes less massive furniture... :roll:

I don't know how it is in Denmark, but in Germany there is (almost) no correlation between how heavy and how expensive furniture is. Heavy solid wood furniture simply isn't particularly popular among most people younger than 50 years or something here. Except for some guys and gals who favor vintage style of course. ;)

Plus, the TLD furniture really doesn't look extraordinary heavy. There are no whole-wall wardrobes or anything, apart from the kitchen cabinets maybe. I doubt anybody would have severe trouble to shove one of those TLD wardrobes or dressers aside a bit. I mean you don't have to lift it over your head, just push it 50cm aside.

I'd like to see how people would hide things without having secret locations in their house. Better yet, how they hide things outside their house, thinking that their house would be the first place others would look. How about if in addition to the bunker there would be a magical stash somewhere? Ten, fifteen, twenty cans. Painted white. In the snow. Somewhere. On inspection they would say something like, "A can. Painted white." And you wouldn't know what food is in them or their condition. What do you think? If the question of "how are they still there/not completely covered with all that bad weather and snowfall" would be a too much of an issue I'm sure some ingenious way to solve or avoid it could be found.

I'd like to see how people would hide things without having secret locations in their house. Better yet, how they hide things outside their house, thinking that their house would be the first place others would look. How about if in addition to the bunker there would be a magical stash somewhere? Ten, fifteen, twenty cans. Painted white. In the snow. Somewhere. On inspection they would say something like, "A can. Painted white." And you wouldn't know what food is in them or their condition. What do you think? If the question of "how are they still there/not completely covered with all that bad weather and snowfall" would be a too much of an issue I'm sure some ingenious way to solve or avoid it could be found.

I think I would just put my cache in a box and bury it in the snow. You just have to know where you left it. Maybe a pirate map :D "Walk 20 paces past the cave. Turn right into the setting sun. Look for the shadow that points like an old maid's hand. Walk in that direction past the stump 200 paces. Turn walk 5 more paces and dig to find yer loot. Yes best be wearing my size 13 boots or your stumpy little legs will be taken ya into the maw of a bear!"

Or we could just place the loot under a car :P

• 1 month later...
So i thought about something. How about if you move furniture you can find secret locations inside houses?

So i thought it should be a challenge to do it, so first u need to have your gear. What you need is work boots to protect your foot if a furniture should fall on your feet, kerosine for lubrication to reduce friction (maybe peanut butter?), and a prybar.

Work boots:

Secret bookcase doors:

Seems a bit unrealistic. Unless you're a multimillionare or Batman most people don't have secret doors in their house. They could give us basements which would be cool, but I don't want to move every single rug in the game in hopes of finding a door. Maybe "blocked" doors that we can unblock, such as if the previous owner of said house pushed a bookcase against a door or stuffed a prybar into a trapdoor that leads to the basement, but I really don't think it would make sense to find secret rooms.

Work boots:

Secret bookcase doors:

Seems a bit unrealistic. Unless you're a multimillionare or Batman most people don't have secret doors in their house. They could give us basements which would be cool, but I don't want to move every single rug in the game in hopes of finding a door. Maybe "blocked" doors that we can unblock, such as if the previous owner of said house pushed a bookcase against a door or stuffed a prybar into a trapdoor that leads to the basement, but I really don't think it would make sense to find secret rooms.

It would be cool to find a loose floorboard where some bootlegger stashed a few mason jars or a prepper hid a small cache of provisions. The devs just need to add an audible "creak" or "groan" of a floorboard. The player then looks around for the loose nail and prys open the cache.

"Seems a bit unrealistic. Unless you're a multimillionare or Batman most people don't have secret doors in their house."

People have secret doors and secret places and positions everywhere. You just dont know them.. well.. because they are secret o.O

"Seems a bit unrealistic. Unless you're a multimillionare or Batman most people don't have secret doors in their house."

People have secret doors and secret places and positions everywhere. You just dont know them.. well.. because they are secret o.O

I was referencing what the OP seemed to be implying, which is that for some reason these cabins in the middle of nowhere would have an entire room dedicated to holding tasty snacks, storm lanterns and furry coats... but only if you pulled a lever to reveal a bookcase that turns sideways. I'm not talking about your secret stash of cookies in the wardrobe or a small room under a staircase. I've never once been in or seen a house in which the owner has any "hidden" doors beyond perhaps and attic or basement.

I was referencing what the OP seemed to be implying, which is that for some reason these cabins in the middle of nowhere would have an entire room dedicated to holding tasty snacks, storm lanterns and furry coats... but only if you pulled a lever to reveal a bookcase that turns sideways. I'm not talking about your secret stash of cookies in the wardrobe or a small room under a staircase. I've never once been in or seen a house in which the owner has any "hidden" doors beyond perhaps and attic or basement.

Well, if they did have a "secret room" I doubt they would be bragging about it.

I have known ONE person that had a concealed room. He is now long since past and the house sold. Split level home cut into a hill with the bedrooms on the bottom floor. Lots of 70s wood paneling. One of the wood panels in the master bedroom was actually a false door. You pull it open and then you are staring at a fire proof steel door. Open that up and you had a room where about six people can stand. You don't "miss" the space because the room is cut into the rock. The only reason I knew about it was also their tornado shelter and we had to bolt into. I always wondered where he kept all his skeet & trap rifles :)

• 8 months later...
On 16.5.2015 at 4:57 PM, exeexe said:

So i thought now that you are alone some lubricant will certainly help.

I only just saw how this thread went on. Epic. Luckily, I am not poor and therefore do not feel offended. To clarify, I was not intending to offend you with my post in the first place, I just couldn't help being amused imagining people... erm... lubricating their furniture to move it around. Thanks to your further comment and the link to "Hooker" (what a name) I now have the wildest pictures in my head. :D

May I presume you hide the lubricant to move your expensive Hooker desk around your place behind some secret door?

Just kidding, no offense intended... ;)

Aside of complete absurdity of the idea of having secret stashes(why would an average person do that anyway, not to mention that there arent any suitable buildings in the game to accommodate those secret rooms) whole idea about boots and/or using kerosene/peanut butter as lubricant is completely unrealistic - if you cant move a shelf, then pouring some kerosene on the floor wont really help you either. Using lever or a rope is far more plausible.

Certain houses with trapdoors is far more probable. Bunch of junk, maybe some canned foods, some worn tools.

Now the idea of a "It would be cool to find a loose floorboard where some bootlegger stashed a few mason jars or a prepper hid a small cache of provisions. The devs just need to add an audible "creak" or "groan" of a floorboard. The player then looks around for the loose nail and prys open the cache." is nice, but this would lead to that once you have found one of these, you'd (or atleast I would) obsessionally stomp every freaking floor board of every house in the game. And it would not be a fun thing, but something that you just couldn't stop because of "what if".

Perhaps a random house could have that hidden trap door under a carpet, with some minor amount of food in it... And you could spot this by the same sound mechanism.

Archived