Ignite torch using flint

exeexe

So yesterday i tried for the first time to ignite a torch . A wolf was charging at me and i thought no problem i just ignite my torch. Then all of a sudden a freaking menu popped up. Dude, i dont have time to read this menu a wolf is right in front of me and it aint happy.

Oh first thing is a match! - ok quickly press match!

Click click - starting the torch ... omg this really have to take so long time? ... pssssssh

Didnt work. Omg is this it? Ok guys pull out the knife and start chopping!

Luckily i survived the onslaught, so i retreated back to a nearby trailer. Then i tried to ignite the torch again inside the trailer and i saw i could use a flint. Where can i get some flint and how can i use a flint?

• 2 weeks later...

It's for sure not the greatest discovery, but I thought it might possibly some day help someone, if I share it:

I've just realized that torches can be ignited with stoves/campfires if you left-click on the stove while you hold a torch in your hand. And well, as you can later on use the burning torch to light another campfire/stove, you now basically have the ability to "carry around fire" (which is what many people asked for).

Geez... no idea why it took me that many hours to realize that I can spread my ever-burning fire wherever I want. xD

Anyway, good job @devs. :)

screen_62e01293-e634-46b7-acba-6d2398d08

It's for sure not the greatest discovery, but I thought it might possibly some day help someone, if I share it:

I've just realized that torches can be ignited with stoves/campfires if you left-click on the stove while you hold a torch in your hand. And well, as you can later on use the burning torch to light another campfire/stove, you now basically have the ability to "carry around fire" (which is what many people asked for).

Geez... no idea why it took me that many hours to realize that I can spread my ever-burning fire wherever I want. xD

Anyway, good job @devs. :)

Pyromaniac detected

Pyromaniac detected

Just someone with a lot of kerosene and cloth, but neither flint nor a magnifying glass. :D

If I hadn't kept my fire burning most of the time, I had probably run out of means to start a fire at least two hundred days earlier than when I finally died yesterday.^^

• 2 weeks later...

Does Chert or any of those sorts of rocks exist in BC? I use chert, my gurkha and charcloth to start fires almost exclusives when I am out in the woods.

That said, has any asked the devs for a lighter? I mean, a simple zippo or bic would go a long way to keeping us warm. I wont even get into those lighters that are like butane torches (though I do have one at my grill for BBQ).

Yes, there is chert in BC. It's one of the rocks that stone tools were made from historically.

A zippo would be handy-- though, with as many options for fire as there is already, I'm not sure it would add that much? Still, I think it would fit well, and offers a believable decay mechanic-- though flints & fluid could be refillable if they wanted to get detailed :)

Yes, there is chert in BC. It's one of the rocks that stone tools were made from historically.

A zippo would be handy-- though, with as many options for fire as there is already, I'm not sure it would add that much? Still, I think it would fit well, and offers a believable decay mechanic-- though flints & fluid could be refillable if they wanted to get detailed :)

I spent my early teens scruffing around the hill country of Austin and the lower hill country in Arkansas. Chert was really easy to find in Austin, not so much in Arkansas. I started taking up "flint napping" as a hobby after reading about for a book report (of all things, right). I am by no means and expert with chert, but I must have banged out a few hundred arrow heads, spear points, knife blades and even a pair of Aztec inspired swords. After seeing Dave on Dual Survial knap out a arrow head using the bottom of a glass bottle, I took up the trade again. I mean, a Mountain Dew arrow head... who would not want a emerald green arrow :)

Anyway it was during my time in Arkansas my uncle showed me (and a bunch of my cousins) how to make charcloth. Up until that time I did not even know you could use it to strike a spark. Annnd the Jr Woodland Firebug was born :P

• 4 weeks later...
Flint has been in the game awhile, it's just super rare.

Jeremy

Just what am I looking for when I keep an open for this rare piece of flint. I assume it will show up labeled if I happen to run the pointer dot over it. But will it be a natural shard of rock? Or will it be a man-made item left behind by the deceased occupants of the region, like a handled tool?

Not looking for easy answers or spoilers. I just have no clue what I'm watching for.

The ingame interface for lighting fires has the flint looking like the man made object unless my eyes deceive me. so i'm guessing we will find it indoors somewhere

or maybe at beer creek campground

actually yeah finding it outside but at a campsite would make more sense

Thank you. Since posting my question, I have since seen a picture of the game flint -- as a grayed out option in a dialog box for starting, what I believe was, an outside fire -- along with the striker and match choices. It looks like it is attached to a tag - like a key ring.

You make a good point it might be found near places where the previous user may have started fires with it, such as burned out campfires. Also fire barrels, fireplace mantels, stoves, etc. But then I have found rifle rounds on the bathroom floor. LOL.

• 4 weeks later...

Glass is often easier to knapp than flint or chert.

Glass you can see the pattern throughout whereas on rock you see the surface only.

For glass, the old 2litre/2quart giant bottles that were known to explode when dropped, they made nice knapping material. Today you need a beer/wine carboy for good glass that is thick.

Glass is often easier to knapp than flint or chert.

Glass you can see the pattern throughout whereas on rock you see the surface only.

For glass, the old 2litre/2quart giant bottles that were known to explode when dropped, they made nice knapping material. Today you need a beer/wine carboy for good glass that is thick.

I still have not tried it knapping a bottle. It seems the last two months my weekends have been shot for real backwoods activities.

I have been circle the drain on getting a .223 and the proper permits to start hunting again. You can hunt wild pigs all year long in Alabama, as they are a nuisance species (like nutria). I use to hunt wild pigs in Arkansas and hunted peccary in Texas. With deer season just around the corner I need to hone my skills as they are a bit rusty. Going sight in my new weapon next Saturday and hope to begin reconing some intel from the Corp of Engineers the following Saturday. Right now the shoats should weight between 60 and 80 lbs, and I top out around 80 lbs for eating them as a rule. If all goes well I will be putting up a few hundred pounds of wild, young pork up in the freezer before deer season opens.

If I bag anything I will put up some pics.

Flint rocks don't yet exist in the game however you can find Strikers which have an advantage in faster fire starting than matches. The problem is they typically arrive in very poor condition and degrade with each use limiting how many times they can be used and are not repairable. If they started in higher condition they would be more valuable but typically have the same number of lights per kilo as a match.

According to Jeremy, flint is in the game:

But does he mean flint rock, a different version of the firestriker/ ferrorod or does he mean the actual firestriker?

If this thread is anything to go by, nobody has ever found this "flint" in the game.

According to Jeremy, flint is in the game:

But does he mean flint rock, a different version of the firestriker/ ferrorod or does he mean the actual firestriker?

If this thread is anything to go by, nobody has ever found this "flint" in the game.

I have come to realize it is a red herring. I believe it more likely we discover the Maltese Falcon lying about than a piece of flint, chert, etc. I don't plan on expending any more energy looking for it.

I have never been actively looking for it. But considering the number of people playing this game, someone should have found some by now. So I think it is just a little too rare. I'm not sure how rare the Maltese Falcon would be, but I'm guessing in TLD flint is about as rare.

To be honest, I meanwhile have my doubts if the elusive flint really (already) exists. Given the amount of people who never found it, I consider it to be more likely that Jeremy was actually talking about the firestriker.

As a true agnostic I'm not going to say "flint doesn't exist", but I certainly don't expect to ever find it either. Well, maybe after the next few patches. ;)

I have come to realize it is a red herring. I believe it more likely we discover the Maltese Falcon lying about than a piece of flint, chert, etc. I don't plan on expending any more energy looking for it.

They are referring to the (flint) fire-striker which, in the game, does not resemble flint.

Some people have been hoping flint knapping would be added to the game to permit greater use of arrows and as an alternative to reliance on scrap metal. I don't know how many more functional additions we can hope for in the game; I've been very pleased with how much new stuff has been added this year and hope for more.

So I suppose it's possible that they will add it at a later stage. I've been watching rocks and seen some that are different from the characteristic black so let's keep up hope.

We are talking about hypothetical changes to the game, not an actual chunk of flint in the actual game play so that's not a red herring. But there is some confusion about flint or striker. :-)

As for the Maltese falcon, you will see these birds often; they tend to hang around corpses, are black and noisy! ;-)

We are talking about hypothetical changes to the game, not an actual chunk of flint in the actual game play so that's not a red herring. But there is some confusion about flint or striker. :-)

In the current version of TLD (and several previous versions) if you ignite a torch you get a menu allowing you to choose from 4 ignition sources. 2 Of those sources are the fire striker and flint. That's the flint we're talking about here and since the game already shows you the option and Jeremy confirmed it is in the game, that's not a hypothetical change... And if the interface shows it but the flint is not actually in the game, that could be considered a red herring.

But like Scyzara, I very much doubt that that flint is actually in the game. Quite possibly Jeremy meant the firestriker when he said flint was in the game.

Archived