Unbelievable near death experience

wolf359

I have been totally addicted to this game. I play it far too much, and waste so much time, but I really enjoy it. Twice I have gotten deeper into the game with one 25 day, and one 49 day period. But three times in my current 29 day game, I have gotten to the red line of life, below 10%, and have survived. The one time I thought I would share, because it truly is unbelievable.

I was in the Coastal Highway map after starting out in Mystery Lake where I did unusually well. I don't care for the lake map, as it is difficult for me to succeed. There always seems to be one thing or another. Coastal and Pleasant Valley are by far my most successful.

Anyways, I was in day 25 when I crossed the ravine and entered Coastal. I had ALOT of stuff on me including 2 rifles and a roughly 30 rounds of ammo. Rifle rounds were everywhere in Mystery for some reason. Found a rifle in the trappers lodge, and in the dam, and boxes of ammo in a lot of the fishing huts and the forestry outlook. Needless to say, I wasn't moving very fast, and my fatigue grew quickly as I was loaded down. I left a lot of food in Mystery, with the intent to go back if I got desperate after I clean out the other maps.

Got down to the coastal townsite, which I love too set up shop in. It's great place to hunt, access to the rest of the map and the village has so many buildings to explore. I usually pick the blue cabin just off the lake, on the other side of the highway away from the rest of the buildings, as it has it all. A fireplace, 2 entrances and a nice big bed!!

So, I was laughing!! Lots of supplies, deer running around, fish have become more nutritious, and I became complacent and fat!! Although, there was ALOT of wolf activity, they never concern me when I have a rifle queued up, and if they surprise me, I have the knife. Wolves only bother me when I start the game.

One morning, I leave the cabin early AM, with the intent to stockpile MORE food and possibly check out Jackrabbit Island. No sooner does the door close, I could hear the bastard wolf barking. I knew I had time, as he was a ways away, but I couldn't see him because of the snow drifts nearby that cabin. So I started to walk to the lake, thinking I will outrun him if he shows himself. Well, I didn't take 5 steps and he's on top of me, with no time to shoot. OK, no problem, 3 knife strikes and he yelps and runs off. Usually when this happens, I track the bastard by his blood trail and feast on him for dinner. First I have to repair with the kit, which I pull up, and NO BANDAGE. I am thinking 'how did this happen'? Down to 65% I panic and start running to each of the houses in the townsite, which I had not explored, and believe it or not, no bandages. Down to 45%, I run up to the house just up the road, which I also had not explored, (to those that are asking why, if I don't need them, I don't search them). Nothing!! 32%. What am I going to do?!?!? I can't believe I am about to throw away the best scenario I have ever had in the game from an oversight. So, it comes to me, go with your original days plans and go to jackrabbit island, what have you got to lose?? I head out the door, and a storm has kicked up, and a nasty one. I couldn't see five feet in front of me, and it's cold. Perfect, thanks guys. Not like I needed this.

Running through the coastal townsite as a reference, I angled myself towards where i thought the island was, as I played coastal highway a lot, and crossed my fingers. I got about 3/4 across the lake, and the character is making loud grunting noises, slowing down, and saying 'I'm not going to make it'. I starting to think I missed it, and I am reserving myself to losing all this, and the fact I am about to go into the long dark on the middle of the lake in a pool of blood. Wolf fodder @ 19% life

Just then a shoreline appears, and I think I made it. It is an island, but it's the other one. Misenthropes Island, I overshot Jackrabbit. I barely crawled up the incline, with my health down to 12% by the time I got to the door, and I went as fast as I could to the bathroom. No bandages. I went to the bedroom, the kitchen, and nothing. So, I was standing in the front room, pissed that I could not find any bandages, and I scan accidentally scan over a side desk by the front door, with the game having my slowing heart beat match my 4% life, things getting blurry. I open the drawer, and there is a SOB bandage, I couldn't believe my eyes!! I put it on as fast I could, and thinking it was still too late I staggered to the bedroom, took a drink of water, and went to bed. Woke up after almost 13 hours of sleep, in chunks of 4 hour spans, I got back to 85%. Whew!!!

Saved by a last minute fluke discovery.

Wow, that's some story!

Piece of advise for the next time you're in dire need of a bandage: harvest a piece of cloth.

Bravo! This is one hell of a scenario to find yourself in. I know because I've done this as well. It is TERRIFYING to suddenly realize you don't have any bandages when you're bleeding to death. I quoted elloco999 above because I didn't realize you could harvest cloth into bandages when this happened to me either. That is one little trick I'll never forget now.

• 6 months later...

haha, we've all been there, right guys? :P

i literally just figured out that you can get two bandages, by harvesting a piece of cloth. my latest run, the one im currently still on, started out similarly. except mine was more starvation, thirst and infection. pretty much as soon as i spawned i was attacked by a wolf. dumb luck, i suppose. after i managed to get the thing off me, mashing the a button for dear life (so fast it made my arm hurt) it still stalked me. it was intent on making me its lunch apparently. chased me into a fishing hut, where i ripped up my socks to make bandages and couldnt find antiseptic anywhere. after waiting a good 2 hours to make well sure that the wolf was gone, the wound had gotten infected. again, in a stroke of dumb luck, i stumbled across the lake to some cabins that were completely empty, save a pack of jerky and a summit soda. i was way too weak at that point to leave the cabin. i holed up there and survived for one and a half day with what i had, my wound badly infected. but all that rest helped a lot, got me up to 50 percent and i was able to go down the road a ways to the coastal townsite. overrun with wolves, of course. scavenged some proper medical supplies and every ounce of food and water i possibly could from the surrounding houses, taking it one house a day to avoid the wolves. didnt wanna over do it. survived for about 10 days, using the gas station as my main base, then hibernated a few on my hoarded supplies. starting day 14 tomorrow morning, im venturing away from the townsite, gonna explore other areas and find some place new to hole up. gonna just take it slow and smart this time around, no more die-hard wolf slayer action :P

Archived