Location wish list

toebar

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This thread never dies :) no worries. I like the snowy beach idea

edit: once I get to playing desolation point, it seems I may need to cross some things off the list... :D

By my count, there's 7-9ish things you could cross off (possibly more?), depending on what was intended with some of the list items. That's honestly kind of a lot with just one map!

This list has so many great ideas on it! I'd add a +1 to a fire department/hall, health clinic (rather than a huge hospital), landslide, water well, and small school for any rural town feel, but I'd unabashedly love a small amusement park and observatory.

• 5 weeks later...

Thought I'd bump this since people are starting to repeat location wishes that are on this list already. And maybe for an OP update, since Hinterland so wonderfully added some of the locations in the meantime (lighthouse, church, boats stuck out on the water etc.).

great one! haha yeah I can't believe I didnt have that on the list. Actually, I think if one of the houses had a backyard rink it would be a cool touch.

Or a pond with a makeshift rink. The thing I'd look for with this added is the remnants of what was once a fun, joyous activity (e.g., left behind hockey gear, scoreboard, stands, team bench, etc.).

Or a pond with a makeshift rink. The thing I'd look for with this added is the remnants of what was once a fun, joyous activity (e.g., left behind hockey gear, scoreboard, stands, team bench, etc.).

exactly this sort of thing. reminds me of the play blocks in the homestead

Everyone is talking about towns, are there no big cities in northern Canada?

I'm thinking about multistory buildings, industrial complex with a big train yard, construction sides, supermarkets(can be looted already) maybe a small airfield and a lot of cars...

When I first traveled through Coastal Highway the feeling of a apocalypse scenario came up the first time, all the abandoned buildings, some burned down and wolfs roaming through the town made me first think about me being the last person on earth...

In Mystery Lake everything felt very peaceful and more like survival in the wilderness, the Camp Office and every building felt more like holiday houses which only get visited during the summer. Even the Carter Dam could be just temporarily abandoned because of the winter. If the dead bodys would not be everywhere I would not have thought about something bad happened and I'm simply stranded in the wilderness.

Same with the Desolation Point and Pleasant Valley, I barely get the feeling of a apocalypse scenario, PV is so peaceful too and abandoned places in the wilderness are not uncommon even in a fully intact society. DPs factory also appears to be just abandoned, the cause being a apocalypse does not shine through, same with the church.

The broken bridge is the only thing which gives me the feeling of a apocalypse situation. Bridges get fixed or if they don't they get properly closed up. But everything else can be just abandoned due to business closure.

So a big city would bring the apocalyptic "your one of the last humans on earth" feeling across a lot better,

animals in a city that's the apocalyptic scenario I would like to see, something like the scenario in "I am legend" where Will Smith hunts a deer in the middle of a city.

I really like the existing regions, other then Desolation Point which I was hoping would cover this said apocalyptic feeling a little better, but disappointed me in that aspect and did not bring as much improvement as the other maps. I don't dislike Desolation Point either and I'm glad they added another region.

I hope you get my point and the map designers do a great job and I don't mean to offend them. :)

I also have a "location wish": When I was a kid I had a lot of "Les aventures de TinTin" comic books and there was one book where they accessed a Mayan tomb through a waterfall. So every time I see a waterfall I'm checking for a secret cave behind it. For a downside the waterfall(and other waterfalls too) should of course make your clothes wet when you walk through and you would have to make a fire immediately to warm you up again when you're inside the cave.

I understand what you mean, I’m not entirely sure the developers are even trying to push the “this is a global disaster” part of the game…I get the feeling that development so far is to accommodate Sandbox whilst establishing maps that can be easily adopted into a single player story driven game. Not only that we only assume that the maps currently in game are all the maps that have been finished.

I firmly believe, and hope, that we’re currently being used as we should be … Alpha testers. I strongly feel that eventually the Sandbox game will become less balanced as a stand alone (as its presented to us at the moment I mean, not ultimately) as we’re essentially testing the Story Mode but without the story behind it. Items such as multiple dead bodies, broken bridges, derailed trains….none of those make any real sense in pure Sandbox. Likewise, fully abandoned towns where you have randomly abandoned cars, food left standing (and Marie Celeste style scenes) … are clearly Story Driven plot points and atmosphere adding elements.

It does pose the question as to what possible disaster could leave these traces of course, a question to be answered far down the development trail I’m sure.

This leaves me wondering …what EXACTLY do I want from a Location Wish list?? Am I thinking of locations for a Sandbox, ultimate survival game of purely me verses the environment or locations for a single player story driven game with an ultimate plot and mystery to solve??

How can I answer this as both are … to me … entirely different requirements! Currently, clearly, we have maps aimed at Story Mode. There are clues, hints that can be linked together with a narrative of discovery (at the end are we going to find ourselves on a beach, half buried Statue of Liberty, on our knees shouting “They did it! They blew it all up!!”?) so any suggestions I may have now are going to be tempered by lots of assumptions.

If we’re talking suggestions for a pure survival game then maps won’t have all these clues, the base game will have more crafting options (bone and stone crafting for example) and if maps wouldn’t be bigger they certainly won’t be quite as varied as they are now.

Ultimately, what concerns me is Hinterland trying to be all things to all people in one package. What they're proposing is essentially two completely different games ... if done right. Whilst some of the maps at a basic level can be the same, as they are, they don't really work as an ultimate sandbox survival game (for reasons mentioned above), as yet...with no narrative...they don't work as a story mode but they're clearly close to that achievement.

IS the Story Mode going to be the game Hinterland want to ultimately publish...a game of hours and hours of survival mixed with investigation to find out what happened, free-roaming clearly but in the end needing a beginning, middle AND end game?

Or is there going to be a focus on a completely open ended survival game...with players submitting to becoming a purely self-sufficient hunter-gatherer mountain men/woman? If they also want this then the maps we have now aren't the maps we need.

No criticism here though, don't get me wrong, just posing questions and thoughts.

• 1 month later...

I already mentioned this idea in a different thread, so this is just going to be a copy and paste from that thread.

Tundra-type region: Far to the north, this desolate wasteland has little to speak of. An open expanse of shrubbery and the occasional stand of trees, there is little to protect the survivor from the elements. Polar bears and white-furred wolves roam the expanse, hunting the migrating caribou and protecting their homes. Cabins are few and far between; few have settled on this ice-covered plain. Survival is difficult, and not for the faint of heart or will.

New Stuff: I really think this kind of region would be a good challenge for us: a flat-region in which it's hard to find shelter from the wind, but wide open. We could see the wolves (or, if ever created, packs of wolves) roaming across the region long before they become a threat, and this would be the kind of region I'd love to see polar bears running around. Also, you have the added danger of chasms, hidden by the snow and making it hard to navigate to your destination. But, there is a lot of new game that can also be added:

-Snowshoe Hare

-Arctic Wolf

-Polar Bear (These, known to hunt humans, might follow you around if they catch sight or scent of you and they're hungry)

-Musk Ox

-Ermine

-Harlequin Duck

-Snowy Owl

-Caribou

As I mentioned previously, what do y'all think?!

-

As much as tundra would be an interesting challenge, as far as can be told, the location of the game is too far south to have arctic tundra; so no polar bears or musk oxen either.

If the game is in fact on Vancouver Island, as is suspected, that would explain the current lack of snowshoe hare, as it is found throughout BC except for on coastal islands. Similar situation for caribou.

There is the possibility of Alpine tundra which could offer the same desolate landscape that you describe.

• 3 months later...

Wow... Today is the first time I've read this topic from start to finish and I have to say........ anyone who doesn't think Hinterlands doesn't listen to it's customers has to do no more than read this topic from the start and see for themselves how many of the great suggestions have been implemented by Hinterlands!! Very Impressed Hinterlands!!

So, here's my suggestions to throw into the mix............

I'd like to see a huge multi level underground military bunker complex.... perhaps one that might have it's own "emergency power supply" (hint  hint). Oh... but of course, we can't make it too comfy and cozy, so maybe cousin Fluffy and a few of his buddies patrolling the corridors, rooms, passageways, and stairwells!!

And along the same lines..... I'd like to see a huge cave complex .... much larger,  more expansive, and with multiple passages than the "connector" caves we have. A cave system that...If you weren't careful, you could easily get lost and perish!! The cave might even have an underground river that empties out into one of the existing or future maps.

if you wanted to get really ambitious, you could have a bunker door connecting the cave and bunker complex!! :shock:

I'm getting excited just thinking of the possibilities!!! Damn, I love this game!!  :P

First, what exactly "underground military bunker" would do in that area ? Its 2 crowded to build any secure installations and dont seem to possess any strategic value.

And second, how to hell do you intend to gain entry into that bunker ? Only reason for it to be open is if its decommissioned and gutted, so theres nothing of value left inside. If it was operational prior to Event, then it would be sealed shut(there are actually military protocols for such cases in place). Even if it was conservated, it still would be sealed shut. Theres like 0 chance that some yahoo would be able to just waltz in.

My issue with military buildings or camps is that if it is still fully stocked, there will be more than just .303 rifles inside. There will be assault rifles, grenades, body armor, and just generally stuff that could ruin the game. I wouldn't mind a few different types of bolt .303s, like a Mosin-Nagant or Gweher type rifle as well as our Lee-Enfield, but assault rifles and military loot just ruins the game.5

I'd much rather a fully natural area, and not like Timberwolf, with plane caches and a convenient hut sitting around, I mean 100% you vs mother nature, no hand-holding cabins or shelters whatsoever. Maybe an overhang or a shelter behind a waterfall, but that's it. Something like a dense forest or arctic tundra map. I've said before that I would love to see herds of Bison or Caribou migrating across a tundra map in this game.

Well, "military" doesnt necessary mean mean "guns". Transport and logistics are a huge part of any functional military and most installations are filled with fuel and food, instead of guns and tanks. There may be an armory present, but chances for some random dude to get in are rather low, like 0 low. At best you get to drool looking at all those nice shiny assault rifles(not that they are that good for hunting to begin with) thru the window or bars.

On 3/27/2016 at 4:58 PM, Dirmagnos said:

First, what exactly "underground military bunker" would do in that area ? Its 2 crowded to build any secure installations and dont seem to possess any strategic value.

And second, how to hell do you intend to gain entry into that bunker ?

I was thinking more along the lines of "abandoned" underground military complex. As Boshmi stated...... I wouldn't want to ruin the game either with weapons stockpiles of guns, grenades, and ammo.

And to your point about access Dirmagnos, having it be "abandoned" might resolve the "gaining entry" issue and make it a little easier.

Because when you think about it.....most Hydro Plants are suppose to be pretty secure also..... but there has to be a little "latitude" for game play.

Was just thinking of it as in interesting place to explore and perhaps shelter if needed. I haven't really thought about it's "strategic value" any more than I think about the processing plant in those terms.

Was just wishing out loud! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived