Location wish list

toebar

Also, I think changing "observatory with working telescope" with "observatory with open dome" in the first post would be less confusing :)

Another possibility would be a large radio telescope:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algonquin_ ... bservatory

If the resort area was picked, it might be interesting to have a small, abandoned theme park nearby as well with broken rides, possibly some that could be used for shelter.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, I think changing "observatory with working telescope" with "observatory with open dome" in the first post would be less confusing :)

Another possibility would be a large radio telescope:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algonquin_ ... bservatory

If the resort area was picked, it might be interesting to have a small, abandoned theme park nearby as well with broken rides, possibly some that could be used for shelter.

+1 for an icy ferris wheel deathtrap with a ladder going up one side. Would make for one hell of a view. Add in Merry-Go-Round with ice covered horses and maybe a frozen slide. Or put the Merry-Go-Round inside a large structure, giving it that dark, cold, haunted look. Instead of making them all horses, put in various zoo animals: deer, bear, wolves (they already have the models), tigers, zebra and... hide a Fluffy in there :P

Google "abandoned cities around the world" and I bet it will shock you. Some of these places look like they belong in a video game like Fallout or Wasteland. Or something more sinister like Silent Hill.

That said, an ole ghost town would be cool. However, most of the stuff of value would have been long stripped clean leaving some spare parts, old tools and untold amounts of trash. Might be able to salvage something the player can make good use of. Like turning old box springs in hooks and transom wires into line. The supply of bottles could be a trove of arrow heads if we can knap glass. Tons of burnable wood, that is for certain!

Ghost towns?

Yeah, we actually have a few of those here.

Like Kitsault

So maybe something like that.

It's almost more creepy to see an abandoned town that's in good condition, than an abandoned town ravaged by Mother Nature.

That would be a great place to set up a new "society" based reality show. Drop them in, give them run of the place and see what happens.

Ghost towns?

Yeah, we actually have a few of those here.

Like Kitsault

So maybe something like that.

It's almost more creepy to see an abandoned town that's in good condition, than an abandoned town ravaged by Mother Nature.

That place looks like my childhood, but all shiny and new(ish). Very trippy. :shock:

[bBvideo 560,340:ci92kprb]

[/bBvideo]

I would love to do an indie film in that town depicting the Long Dark Saga.. I was thinking about it the other day and when I saw this from checking out the link on Kitsault I thought how perfect it would be for a location.

I did some work for Distribber and ever since it's peaked my interest in producing something in the future. This game really got me thinking about it again and I am half tempted to open a kickstarter or something to see if there is enough interest to pursue doing something..

It's been requested before to have a full sized town to explore, I'd ask for the same but with a twist, it obvious that the Geomagnetic event has also caused earth quakes or something with it.

So have a real town, Homes, stores, a school, but for the sake of frame rates, have it be a town that has been buried beneath a rock slide and snow avalanches. Imagine it, crushed homes you may or may not be able to enter. A badly damaged school(set up as a separate area like the Hydro Carter dam) that has a library with plenty of books... but who does that sleeping bag belong to? And is that a Fluffy I hear in the hallways?... what is their two fluffys?

It's been requested before to have a full sized town to explore, I'd ask for the same but with a twist, it obvious that the Geomagnetic event has also caused earth quakes or something with it.

I like it. That could be quite interesting (as much as I yearn for a purer wilderness area!). Many of the previous suggestions could be incorporated as part of the town.

If we "are" on a coast, then some sort of crashed vessel would be neat. We don't have to crash a big tanker like Day After Tomorrow, though a large crashed container ship could be pretty epic. Have something run aground or get stuck in the ice at some weird angle. Have it named the Beagle. Darwin would be proud :P

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone :)

I love all of these location ideas (and plenty of wishlist ideas too!) and I've got a few ideas to throw in to the mix.

A couple of areas could perhaps follow or include some type of pipeline? It could be an oil pipeline or something like that. It could run along the centre of the map and maybe along the edges of a couple of others?

Maybe a few maps could change depending on when you play them so there could be a map that has a main cave with 8 entrance/exits (that could lead to certain parts of that map and also it could lead to other zones/locations) but perhaps heavy snow or cave-ins could prevent us from getting to certain places? Maybe heavy snow would make more sense as when it melts the entrance/exits become available. So imagine the abandoned mine lead to more locations but they are only available at certain times (but they will be available over the course of your playthrough, you just have to keep an eye on it :D

Could apply this to normal caves (like the ones in PV)... sometimes they are available and sometimes not!

Taking the above idea and applying it to ice aswell? Has anyone seen Ice Lake Rebels? They build their houses on the river and when it freezes the houses are frozen in position but when it thaws they can change position. Maybe we could have a level like this so that it alternates (maybe 3-4 different variations). Some/all houses/boats etc could change position and/or be unreachable (don't have your main base there!!)

Sort of taking that idea again... imagine Coastal Highway and you are trying to get to Jack Rabbit Island but each time you play the thin ice can shift and we have to listen and look for where the thin ice is? Could be different each time we are on that map. So sometimes we can only reach certain destinations from certain points if that makes sense.

Love the idea of have zones/locations that are 1 way and alose having some zones/locations that do not lead anywhere apart from back on themselves. Would mix up the gameplay and variation and throw the player if unaware into a panick !! Should've packed the bedroll and other essentials for this day *cough cough* weeks trek ! ;)

Still adjusting to the new sprint/run thing (it needs to be longer or needs to regenerate quicker i.m.o) but am still loving the game, great work guys *thumbs up* :)

Another thought - Maybe from a main location to another main location we have to go through a few transition zones that forces the player to use natural cover (caves etc) as night time/rest spots? For example Mystery Lake to "The Old Airfield" would take 2 transition zones and maybe 1-2 days/sleeps to get there.

I think an oil pipeline would be neat! Have sections we can walk on top of and other sections we may have to walk through. Could easily turn into a puzzle turning valves and what not. It could also offer some interesting choices to the player.

Would you drop 100,000 gal of crude into the sound to get from Point A to Point B? 10,000? 1,000? The ecological impact of the players actions on the zone could be substantial. OR the damage could be felt in a different zone. Say you dump crude in one zone and all the fishing goes south in the CH as the fish are killed off or flee. Maybe the player comes into a zone and the environmental impact in on going? I mean if all those pumping stations shutdown, pressure from underground could still force the opened wells contents out until they are capped (if they are ever capped). Could add a very somber note to the survival aspect of the game. Now it is not just the player who is trying to survive. To make matters worse, the wolves don't care you are trying to save them... they still wanna eat... you if they could.

I love your idea of different puzzles (@ AmericanSteel) - (I'm not too up-to-date with quoting etc).

Another possible location and puzzle is maybe we could have an old fashioned (that still works) bridge section that raises and lowers to let, what would've been, ships pass underneath.

Maybe it doesn't work and we need to find parts or drag fuel up to it to make it work? There could also be multiple bridges that lead to different zones/locations?

thesis_large.jpg

@Maninpants -- I think requiring an overnight 'excursion' to get to another main area would be a pretty great addition.

This is like the first time I walked out the door to the area behind Carter Dam. I was like, Oh Snap. I thought my exploration run was the equivalent of a game reset besides the gear I had on me. Then I found the way across.

I wish the devs would let us get to the upper area of the dam and then get back in the same way Fluffy did. Through that upper window in the turbine room. One way doors are a great way to put a panic back into the survival routine.

All that said, I agree with Toebar on your suggestion @Maninpants. Stretching out some of the interim zones is really in order. I hate to say this, but they need to move the Ravine access area that is right next to the dam in ML. You have two mini zones that join right next to a great base location, the dam. I would move the Ravine entrance to the collapsed tunnel / derailed train car area near the Base Camp. At least you would have to hoof it across a large section of ML to go from one zone to the other, instead of coming out of the dam and veering off to the left to enter the Ravine.

@toebar & americansteel - I think it would add more variety as even though it's still good, right now we have, Main Location/Zone - transition - Main Location/Zone. Once we're past that transition area we, as loyal players :) we know that we might quite possibly be in another "Main Location/Zone" (awesome! there MUST be houses etc etc somewhere here... ;)

If it went Main Location/Zone - transition - transition - (damn I need somewhere "proper" to call home) transition - Main Location..... wow, after all our supplies have been used up surviving/stuff needs repairing/no more ammo!, a new main area would be, well, no words can descbribe that immense life saving feeling!

Again sorry for not knowing how to quote but also after again reading back a few pages there was a mention of an area only being reachable by cable car (Octavian suggested it I think)... that would be brilliant. It could be a one way journey, or two way but after a few uses the cable car could snap (no animation needed) and that route would be severed (literally!) but through a different route completely all Locations etc are still reachable. Terribly described but hopefully understandable!

I do like the idea of having a transition area or Main zone that gives us access to multiple other zones and transition areas but due to certain in game happenings only certain routes are accessible at certain times. Wow this game could be HUGE!

Quick note - i don't know how to quote sections of someones post.... just so you don't think.. "er... there's a massive button that says QUOTE right there" !! ;)

[spoil]bill017.thumb.jpg.6110c714b669805fd28273 what they said [/quotte]. I just added one extra "t" or it would have quoted nameofuser saying "what they said" :lol:

Or you can highlight what you want to quote in the topic review section and click quote there, there it works, highlighting in the general thread area - or however you call it - and clicking quote just quotes everything :(

[spoil]

quote2.thumb.jpg.a6da004d6deab70ba060eb2

Or you can highlight what you want to quote in the topic review section and click quote there, there it works, highlighting in the general thread area - or however you call it - and clicking quote just quotes everything

Ah-haa! Thanks very much :)

Yes I think the electricity dependancy (in reference to the cable car) would probably be an easier and more realistic idea. Reminds me of that film where the 3 friends are stuck on a remote ski lift after the resort closes and the cold night sets in.

I have two locations I would like to see. The first fits into the game easily and the second would be a complete adjustment from current survival style. First I would like to see a shipyard, maybe with a couple of intact ships to survive in and lots of fishing locations. The second location would be change of scenery maybe travel south into the great forests of south Canada and northern us. If they want another extreme then develop a desert scenario where finding water and avoiding heat is the goal.

Archived