Why only a rifle? Boss tier critters are too strong!

Amateur Bushcrafter

19 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Dude, if you do silly things like claiming TLD is in America (come on, there are Canadian flags hanging EVERYWHERE in the game!) or shoot rabbits with guns, people here will mock you - that doesn't really mean you should insult them back.

Responding to a post made almost 3 years ago is probably not going to have the effect you intended... ;)

On 12/11/2017 at 1:11 PM, wshonchell said:

Okay while a 308 rifle isn't a bad weapon for hunting...

This is probably going to come across as monumentally pedantic but the rifle in TLD is a .303 British, a Lee Enfield if I'm not mistaken.  While effective (irl at least) for deer and black bear hunting, the round has been mostly supplanted by the .308 Winchester.  While they can certainly be effective, neither are considered to be ideal for moose.

4 hours ago, JAFO said:

Responding to a post made almost 3 years ago is probably not going to have the effect you intended... ;)

Oh.

OH.

OOOH. Yea, you are probably right :D did not expect necroposting, don't see it here on forums that often :D Gotta be more careful about that, then, seems like the new people on forums do things like this.

2 hours ago, Sunwolf said:

This is probably going to come across as monumentally pedantic but the rifle in TLD is a .303 British, a Lee Enfield if I'm not mistaken.  While effective (irl at least) for deer and black bear hunting, the round has been mostly supplanted by the .308 Winchester.  While they can certainly be effective, neither are considered to be ideal for moose.

Would you say that anything in the TLD is supposed to be "ideal"? I would argue for the opposite. Feels to me that TLD is meant to be the opposite - you gotta make due with what you´ve got. There is a reason why there are no scopes for rifles in the game, and there won't be any.

There was a discussion on "why the Lee Enfield - the way I remember it, this rifle was selected because it was used by rangers and forestry servicemen in Canada for a long while, and because of that, the rifle and the munition fit best the environment of the remote Canadian wilderness.

13 hours ago, EricTheGreat12 said:

I would be in favour of seeing a different firearm in the game (notice that I meant firearm, in a singular fashion). A shotgun would be preferable, as it has a bigger connection to the action of hunting. Too many firearms and you scare people away from palying the game

The issue I have with adding more weapons is that there is already quite a lot of them in the game already. Weapon quickdraw is already starting to be insufficient. While I am not going to object to shotgun in particular, assuming its a single shot, I would guess the whole system of quickdraw binds would have to be changed over along with the implementation of new tools like shotgun, or different light sources that might come into the game.

As for the previous comment - I dont judge people for who they are, and if I am being judged for who I am, not going to object if, especially if I know its deserved. :) But nobody is perfect, so dont quote me on that one. 

Heh. I like that. But I don't know how many people would keep something like this around, wouldn't be very fitting in with the theme.

I would guess if people keep around black gunpowder weaponry, its mostly going to be pistols or rifles. 

Unless there is a collectors cottage somewhere around the Great Bear.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2017 at 11:56 PM, Mroz4k said:

Heh. I like that. But I don't know how many people would keep something like this around, wouldn't be very fitting in with the theme.

I would guess if people keep around black gunpowder weaponry, its mostly going to be pistols or rifles. 

Unless there is a collectors cottage somewhere around the Great Bear.

I know at least in America people will inherit these old firearms from their relatives, if they are not into firearms they may either try to sell them or leave them forgotten in a attic or basement. If these old black powder firearms made it into the game maybe make them a random spawn in either an attic/basement.

1 hour ago, deathbydanish said:

I know at least in America people will inherit these old firearms from their relatives, if they are not into firearms they may either try to sell them or leave them forgotten in a attic or basement. If these old black powder firearms made it into the game maybe make them a random spawn in either an attic/basement.

Naturally - and even nowadays there are still pockets of enthusiasists who actually use black gunpowder weapons to hunt - there is supposedly even a dedicated time zone during deer season when this type of hunting becomes legal in Maryland, or so I´ve heard). The thing was - you would more commonly find things like flintlock pistols or muskets. I dont think that blunderbusses were all that common in Americas. But I could be wrong, that was just my guess.

Seems to me that blunderbusses were really mostly common here in Europe - most likely because they started to get out of fashion by the time colonization of Americas happened. Blunderbuss is a typical Husit weapon.

But, like Carbon said, blunderbuss would be a load of fun. I imagine it would be one of the best "defensive" weapons.

I wouldnt mind if it was very deadly at close range, but given its "projectiles" I think it would be cool if the use of this weapon made the hide "unharvestable" (as it would get ruined, because it would be full of holes and tears from the shrapnels) - as well as a portion of the meat. But even if it was just a normal weapon, I would be content. I really like the idea of having a weapon in between the bow and the rifle, in terms of advancement.

On 12/23/2017 at 2:39 PM, Mroz4k said:

Naturally - and even nowadays there are still pockets of enthusiasists who actually use black gunpowder weapons to hunt - there is supposedly even a dedicated time zone during deer season when this type of hunting becomes legal in Maryland, or so I´ve heard). The thing was - you would more commonly find things like flintlock pistols or muskets. I dont think that blunderbusses were all that common in Americas. But I could be wrong, that was just my guess.

Seems to me that blunderbusses were really mostly common here in Europe - most likely because they started to get out of fashion by the time colonization of Americas happened. Blunderbuss is a typical Husit weapon.

But, like Carbon said, blunderbuss would be a load of fun. I imagine it would be one of the best "defensive" weapons.

I wouldnt mind if it was very deadly at close range, but given its "projectiles" I think it would be cool if the use of this weapon made the hide "unharvestable" (as it would get ruined, because it would be full of holes and tears from the shrapnels) - as well as a portion of the meat. But even if it was just a normal weapon, I would be content. I really like the idea of having a weapon in between the bow and the rifle, in terms of advancement.

I'm half expecting to see some old timers using black powder rifles (modern not antique :p) when I go to the range in the next few days, I think the Blunderbuss would be an ideal defensive weapon as well, something short range so you won't be exploiting it by doing game breaking stuff with it. I remember reading somewhere that when pirates used it, they would cram whatever they could to create a cone of fire, maybe in the game it could be almost like a junk launcher, cram rocks, sticks, whatever is small enough to fit, and use it as a last ditch weapon in case of a predator attack. Of course I would then make the ballistics of the blunderbuss go completely cattywampus since you're not using shot anymore.

Archived