Wolves

Chaoszen

The wolf situation in as far as the massive number of wolves and the fact that you no longer can outrun or kill them without weapons. Almost every time I start a new game I am killed within the first few minutes of the game. Often right when I spawn in. I have had 2 wolves attack me upon spawning numerous times. Mostly just one though. This situation is a deal breaker for me. I don't find it fun to play "Wolf Avoidance". I understand the need for wolves but enough is enough. If you are going to have wolves constantly attacking players at least have the player spawn in with a hatchet or something to defend themselves. Maybe even spawn in with a rifle and ammo. As it is now this great game has been ruined by overzealous Devs. Who are not doing themselves or the gamer any favors. I really like this game but liking it less lately. I'm sure there are a few masochists out there who just love getting eaten by wolves, and who want them to be even more aggressive. But those people do not represent the majority of people who just want to have fun for awhile without getting frustrated and angry. Nuff said.

Welcome here!

I will try to help you by summing up the wolf question related discussions here at the forum in a few sentences, but the best way always to look out for the ongoing topics, you may and will actually find there TIPS and Tricks as well :D

So right to the solution:

Pilgrim, Voyager, Stalker difficulties can help you to figure out how the wolfs are reacting on your acts.

That is what I did when first ran in to them, start a game on pilgrim and check out the distance in different situations (yes, the wind counts too :D )

After that always pay attention to your clothes qualities, your condition and your tools condition too.

Use a bait in case you are not ready to bare handed face a fluffy bro', or just use a flare to stop them, then throw it in his face and RUN.

Actually always go backwards while a wolf is charging at you with a flare in your hands, that way you have chance to stop him with the flare in a reasonable distance.

Hope I could help

It's way to early to start talking about the game being ruined! This is alpha so the devs are trying out various experiments. I do agree with you that the wolf situation, esp. on the CH, has gotten out of hand. But they're also getting complaints about wolves being too infrequent on the new map. There are folks who really want to play dodge-the-wolf, and others who want a more realistic survival game. Hopefully the right mix will be found before the game is actually finished.

The wolf situation in as far as the massive number of wolves and the fact that you no longer can outrun or kill them without weapons. Almost every time I start a new game I am killed within the first few minutes of the game. Often right when I spawn in. I have had 2 wolves attack me upon spawning numerous times. Mostly just one though. This situation is a deal breaker for me. I don't find it fun to play "Wolf Avoidance". I understand the need for wolves but enough is enough. If you are going to have wolves constantly attacking players at least have the player spawn in with a hatchet or something to defend themselves. Maybe even spawn in with a rifle and ammo. As it is now this great game has been ruined by overzealous Devs. Who are not doing themselves or the gamer any favors. I really like this game but liking it less lately. I'm sure there are a few masochists out there who just love getting eaten by wolves, and who want them to be even more aggressive. But those people do not represent the majority of people who just want to have fun for awhile without getting frustrated and angry. Nuff said.

Agree wolves are total bs. The game could be made much better eliminating all but one or two roaming wolves per map. But that is not the direction they wish to take at present. When anybody makes a serious case about giving that a try for "realism" there is a squad, a wolf mafia if you will, which demands, screams, implores etc... that the devs do nothing to reduce the game difficultly and challenge. While I agree the wolves present a challenge it is a really cheap challenge because primarily your strategy against them is three fold

1. Avoidance. Maintain about 40m+ and they will simply do their patrol routes. There is a range of about 5-10m where they detect you, turn towards you and then start coming at you to investigate, this is your turn back and run stage. Were it a real wolf, if you run it would immediately chase you even if it later determined you were too much of a risk because wolves act on instinct. Anyway here you can continue to evade for the minimum effort. Jog out of sight or about another 50m and they simply go back to what they were doing. If you enter into to the 30m circle or stand still while they are coming to you and they close to inside 30m they will then charge you and move in to attack.

2. Avoidable Confrontation. Once you have a wolf "barking" and growing at you, and charging the only way to stop the charge semi-reliably is to pop a flare or torch if it works, they will close to about 3-4m and then maintain. If you move towards them they flee, if you toss the flare they flee. If there is more than one of them they act more unpredictably. If you are encumbered or injured they appear more aggressive. Another option is to run and hope you can make it to a structure before the wolf makes it to you. In which can you can enter a door magically and the wolf can't LOL. Its a technique which will cost you 5% health sometimes but you avoid the bigger potential loss getting into melee.

3. Unavoidable Confrontation. Well tex, if you meet out in the middle of the woods, have no flare, or torch and are either going to shoot or stab, Shoot first ask questions later. Wanna live longer? Burn bullets right between their eyes. Take a Dirty Hairy attitude towards them. The devs have put them in primarily as a bullet waste and villain type threat. They are cheesy and reliably avoidable in most cases. There are still some cases where it makes sense to knife fight it but you will take injuries or lose condition in the average attack. Even the fastest clicker knocks off 15-30% health on average before the wolf runs off.

I favor more realistic water container/boiling and snow melting mechanics. Danger from more realistic concerns like dehydration and the inability to stay energetic to effect survival. I favor more realistic fire starting, the ability to try to get a fire going without matches and making a decision to build an emergency shelter instead of fighting off a potential 25 auto-maton not so big and not so bad wolves. Not against keeping some wolves in the game with varied AIs but hopefully the density of the animals will be reduced to an actual intelligent and not over-kill level. I favor a wet meter too which is another core component to cold weather survival, preventing hypothermia and frostbite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gray_wolf_populations_by_country

Something worth to take a look.

Comparing the wolf numbers with the countries territory size, you can figure out easily, meeting 20 wolfs a day in stalker is not something what you expect from a survival game.

This isn't a helpful argument-- comparing to real life, when the game specifically states that its not mimicking real life.

If you want to have realistic wolf densities, we wouldn't likely see one in the whole game.... I live in BC. I have spent many days in the wilderness. I have seen many wolf tracks, but never once a wolf.

As a gameplay element, this is obviously not desirable, as nasty as the wolves are!

I agree that tuning is still needed, and I think the devs will get it right.

I guess this brings up the question-- why do we see so many wolves? It may have to do with the geomagnetic storm changing their behavior. Maybe they've been actually seeking out humans instead of shying away from them.. This would account for a lot of the things we see in game.

Comparing the wolf numbers with the countries territory size, you can figure out easily, meeting 20 wolfs a day in stalker is not something what you expect from a survival game.
I did not ask for reality in this topic.

Ok.. What did you intend then? :)

Archived