Hello new members!

Ryan CM

Hello!

My favorite thing about the game? The way it makes great use of its admittedly low-end and simplistic graphics.

TLD is probably the best looking low-graphics game I've seen.

"Shelter" and "Shelter 2" - as much as I love the concept of a game about animal life, I hate the way the low-graphics look there. Nothing feels crisp and natural. TLD is the exact opposite - same graphics "complexity", but it feels very accurate and gives off immersion vibes like only a few high-graphics game do.

8-)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say the real sense of snow blindness is fantastic.....ly scary lol. There is a true sense of urgency in the game. It never really let's up. I do gripe a bit on the wolves, can never find the rifle early enough to help and usually I get killed before I can hit with it. I would like some sort of melee aspect, tho improved aiming mechanics would be a quick fix. Overall I love the game and can't wait for story mode.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

thanks for the welcome.

I've never played a survival game before - I read a review somewhere and it piqued my interest and then the artwork just blew me away

I don't think I've made it past 15 days but I'm just loving it.

The colours, the sounds - incredible experience created by the Hinterland people.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, my name is Michael, but I go by Cowboy when gaming.

I am 60 years young and have been an avid gamer for 20 years now.

Some of my favorite games through the years: Age of Empires, Wolfenstein, Joint Ops, Medal of Honor,

Civ series,FarCry, Myst Series, and now ........ The Long Dark!!!!

What a fantastic game!!! I'm totally hooked, and now that I've played this game, I would have easily paid double for it.......... and it would be worth every penny!!!

I love the open environment, scenery, weather, and just trying to survive!!

I've only played the pilgrim level so far. I'm on my 3rd life and just went past 50 days.

My first death: went to the ravine... was looking at the river below, stepped off the edge and landed on a rock with no way to get back up, or off.... had to jump and kill myself.

My second death, and the best one: Started a campfire in front of Carter Dam to melt water, stood right over the raging camp fire, and accidentally burned to death!!! LOL That's right...burned to death at 20 below zero!!

A tip of the hat to the developers of this game!! I can see a VERY PROFITABLE FUTURE for you with the potential of this game!!

I have ABSOLUTELY NO COMPLAINTS about this game as is. But like all of us, I do have my wishlist:

1. Cougars maybe??? Pretty sure they are native to Canada.

2. a tarp for primitive shelter when caught out in a storm.

3. paracord to make your tarp a better shelter

4 Of course.....Changing seasons!!

5. Rain, freezing rain, ........ nothing like a little freezing rain to make that down vest and cotton socks worthless! LOL

6. Since COLD is such a part of this game....... perhaps a Hypothermia guage to go with the food, thirst, and fatigue guages.

7. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, DON'T EVER RUIN THIS GAME BY ADDING ZOMBIES!!!!! KEEP IT NATURAL!

Look forward to getting to know some of you! Take Care.

PS: I tried this game because of all the great reviews in STEAM!! So glad I did!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys, I'm Tort and I must say I love this game. Lone Wolf setting, that's what I love to do in RL as well. Germany, that's not really about survival, but I am passionate at hiking through woods and mountains.

My other rather big gaming preferences are ArmA and Chaos Reborn.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi! I'm London and I'm from America. The name comes from the author, Jack London.

My favorite part about the game is probably the point I'm at right now. I'm not the greatest at the game, I'm actually on my longest run of 15 days or so. But, the point I'm at right now is where I have enough meat stored away to last for a bit, enough water for the same and enough food to carry around with me. I've got the rifle so I've got some hunting equipment and I'm feeling pretty good right now. I'm trying not to get too content, that will probably lead to death. :P But all in all, this game is amazing and I love the atmosphere, the feeling of cold and the feeling of exploration without crafting becoming too big a part of it.

Hello Everyone,

Brand new player here. I just picked up the game for Xbox One, love the early access program. Really enjoying it for now. I am looking forward to story mode - but the sandbox is my kind of game. I have spent the last year playing State of Decay breakdown - so I am looking forward to something different.

Have to admit - I died pretty quickly on my first play through. I am struggling to survive...no weapons and the wolves are just plain brutal :-) I did manage to figure out how to fish, but like an idiot I wandered back home from my ice fishing shack in a snow storm.....but I am still alive...for now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

CooCoo!

Really enjoy immersive winter game, im a kayaker who like great, week long, expedition in november and march (Quebec, Canada), this game helps me wait for march to come :-) . What i'd say i like the most about TLD, the adrenaline rush i can get when its blizzard, my condition running low, no water left, entering the dam for 1st time needing a shelter and knowing i might have to fight... Or, exploring the last spot of Mystery lake i thought i could get rifle, realizing im now on my own with just a knife for a couple of days. Save game dynamic is excellent too. Keep working on this wonderful project.

Yan

Hello! I got this game a couple months ago when my buddy and I were going thru sandbox survival type games. He got me playing The Long Dark and it quickly eclipsed all my other games. I still make sure to put in at least a few hours a day, regardless of what I'm playing at the time. I mean I own Fallout 4 and this is still far more entertaining! Also, I live and grew up in Alaska and it's pretty cool to actually put things I learned growing up into actual use in a (simulated) survival experience.

To date, I have put about 120 hours into it. I've compiled notes about systems and a wishlist for features, played enough to feel like I could use maps (like my character could have found/made them), stopped using maps and quit playing for a week to forget said maps after I felt like I was cheating, bought graph paper and markers to actually make my own maps, played up to 70 days and died from sleeping in a near broken bedroll, died several times thinking I was good enough for Stalker, went back to Voyager thinking it was more "realistic" but found Voyager might be too easy for me, then to head back to Stalker cuz it was the more realistic.

All in all, I would have to say, my favorite thing are those moments where you're out there, stuck in a blizzard with little hope and you just keep saying to yourself, "I'm not gonna die out here!" and a miracle happens in the shape of shelter.

10/10 would pray for a miracle again.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! Picked up this game for PC in the Steam sale yesterday and played it for several hours on voyager. It's really fun! On my first couple of runs I didn't even last the night. On my third attempt I died in darkness, huddled over embers in a lean-to with the windows of a shack in sight, but on the fourth I found said shack and lasted two weeks - would have been longer too had I not decided to fight a bear!

My favourite parts of the game are probably the sound effects. I like how often I'll wake up in a cabin with the intention of going hunting, but entering a dilemma when I hear the wind howling outside. I need to decide whether it's better to sit around and wait for the storm to pass (wasting rations in the process), or to head out anyway knowing I'll suffer from exposure. Pretty cool and feels realistic.

Can I ask where the best place is to post my impressions on these forums btw? I'd like to play for a couple more days then put up a list of my likes and dislikes to date. I already have a quite a few things I'd like to say!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone :)

Huge fan of The Long Dark just love this game's feel . Currently playing on Desolation Point at 33 days which is one of my better runs. I've been playing for over a year now. I like everything about this game I think when it comes to atmosphere the devs have nailed it. Just have to keep my little ones from watching as my youngest gets scared everytime a wolf shows up.

Hi folks! Finally a survival game without having to deal with monsters and other unearthly things. Been involved with developmental games now and then for many years.

Looking forward to exploring as we wait and see how far the developers take us on this journey.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello all from the Pacific NW!

From a STEAM recommendation [after finishing Firewatch] I picked up TLD about a month ago [or maybe more as I've spent so much time playing that I've literally lost track of time :) ].    As someone who enjoys large "open world" games [MMO's, Fallout 4, etc], after watching a few videos I figured TLD would be a game I'd enjoy. 

After mistakenly starting a Hopeless Rescue Challenge [not a good challenge to start when you are new to the game and blindly enter the cold, harsh, and mapless world of TLD] I started the Nomad challenge which is/was exactly the style of gaming I enjoy - exploration, tons of loot, crafting, survival, and a list of objectives I needed to complete at my own pace [which I did after ~100 days].   

From what I've seen in the The Long Dark - Road to Story Mode: Content Preview - I'm looking forward to what this game will offer down the road.  For now, I'll keep trudging along in the Sandbox and will return or start a new Hopeless Challenge rescue once I have a better layout of the land... :)

• 1 month later...

so i have been playing this game for a long time but only recently found out about forums

1. i mainly like exploring i swear i have found so many new things every time i play

2. the wolves always have me on edge especially around the quonset

3. i like hoarding. items items items, more items i have a stocked full a house on almost every map (i think desolation point an old cabin stocked, the lighthouse is heavily stocked i haven't done the others) everything has its place. caned food on the window tools in that cupboard clothes there materials there lights there candy bars in that cupboard ect. 

5. attempting to be an nomad (failing miserably) 

6. and the survivor   complains about as much as  i would  

7 last but not least this game keeps surprising me

I come from a military background which includes a fair bit of time in the SERE / survival arena, and that accounts for my initial attraction to the game. From that perspective, The Long Dark gets the player to make some very realistic decisions about prioritizing time, energy and resources. The application of real-world principles absolutely works in the game. Clearly it's not meant to be a simulator, but it gets pretty close at times . The degree of unpredictability is incredibly finely balanced, and I especially love that.

The most enjoyable aspect for me, though, is the sheer immersion. The way you guys have produced such a convincingly harsh yet beautiful environment with such a 'low tech' graphical approach is fantastic. When I recall locations in the game (the switchback above the Coastal Townsite, the dead ground next to the rail line north of Camp Office), I recall them as real environments. I'm not a big game player, but I've never known another game do this.

A fan. Definitely a fan.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

MonkeyboyGamer here a new member to the community! Thank you for having me along. I am a great fan of the game and have been playing it for a while. I particularly like Timberwolf Mountain map because of its difficulties in surviving there. Hope to share our experiences and knowledge with the game and cant wait to hear more from yourselves.

MbG

Archived