Hello new members!

Ryan CM

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Ryan,

I guess for me my favourite part is the game itself. I know not very specific, but its a combonation of the visuals, sounds, a game where you are actually surviving in a very real sense, food, warmth, water, shelter - all these things define "survival".

The atmopshere in nearly every situation is very well done. I remember when i first played, heard the wind howling outside when i was in a cabin and realising that i was seeing what was going on outside when i was INSIDE was excellent. I cannot give enough praise for this game, the team should be proud and i am very excited to see where this game goes. Have had this game since early access release.

One more thing i love the scale and feel of PV - its a great place to go when you've hoarded all the good stuff and then you can live off the land. My longest attempt to survive was 42 days before passing a large rock without paying attention and being ambushed by two wolves!

Hi!

My favourite things about this game: how immersive and hypnotising it is thanks in great part to the amazing sound design, the trees cracking (?) especially is very well done and freaked me out because it's exactly how it sounds when I go out walking in the snow or skiing during winter, but I never really paid attention to those sounds IRL.

I love watching the sun set or rise when it's clear out too!

A memorable moment is when I was out camping for a night and at one moment I woke up and found myself face to face with a wolf, with the fire between us, that was very impressive and scary.

I also really like making coffee and tea ingame, it's oddly satisfying.

We would love to hear from you: what is one of your favourite parts of playing The Long Dark?

1. I really like that the game is quite challenging in stalker mode. Many games nowadays are far too easy to master for my taste.

2. Further, I like that outfitting and returning to a shelter creates a feeling of temporary security and homeliness. It is very immersive to stack some goodies in a place, make it a base, then venture out on stressful hunting and/or survival trips and make it back home to the safe harbour. Making a fire when it gets dark, preparing food and then going to bed is really immersive. The red light from the stove makes everything feel warm and fuzzy, I somehow feel "at home" for a moment before dozing off... that is really quite unique, I can't remember having this intense "home-feeling" in any other game.

3. Then, I like the atmosphere. This is difficult to describe and maybe hard to create in a game (and maybe easy to destroy again?). I am certain that the excellent sound effects and the sparse music/comments from the avatar contribute greatly. Then, the light - stepping outside in the morning and checking the weather, it almost feels real for a moment. I go "now let's see the weather outside, and then decide what to do today...". And - very important - that pressing feeling that I always need to do something different, search a new area, craft a new and better item, pack my things and move to another map and so forth. That the game allows for brief moments of relaxation - looking at the sunset/stars, lighting the stove and cooking dinner - but never lets me lean back completely. I don't know if this description seems awkward.

• 3 weeks later...

What do I love about this game? There are lots of things to love about The Long Dark but let me share a few:

1. I love how simple everything looks and feels on the surface and yet... deep down there are some well thought out game mechanics at work. I should stress I do not mean simple as a jab but rather the utmost compliment. I am a web designer by trade and firmly believe simply and effective is best.

2. Related to #1 - the graphics are beautiful in their simplicity. I have caught myself pausing to soak up the atmosphere around me on multiple occasions.

3. The way the sandboxes make it feel like you're telling your own story. Don't get me wrong - I am SUPER excited for the story mode to be released but the randomness to the sandboxes every time you play make for some survival moments that beg to be shared with others. My first encounter with a bear made for one such story that I plan to share here on the forums later today.

4. The music is top notch and used "as needed" to augment situations and invoke emotional responses.

In summary, many games today go for a MORE MORE MORE approach that comes across as over the top in every way. The Long Dark for all its simplicity is like a finally crafted and perfectly balanced meal - one of those you want to come back to enjoy over and over again.

What do I love about this game? There are lots of things to love about The Long Dark but let me share a few:

1. I love how simple everything looks and feels on the surface and yet... deep down there are some well thought out game mechanics at work. I should stress I do not mean simple as a jab but rather the utmost compliment. I am a web designer by trade and firmly believe simply and effective is best.

2. Related to #1 - the graphics are beautiful in their simplicity. I have caught myself pausing to soak up the atmosphere around me on multiple occasions.

3. The way the sandboxes make it feel like you're telling your own story. Don't get me wrong - I am SUPER excited for the story mode to be released but the randomness to the sandboxes every time you play make for some survival moments that beg to be shared with others. My first encounter with a bear made for one such story that I plan to share here on the forums later today.

4. The music is top notch and used "as needed" to augment situations and invoke emotional responses.

In summary, many games today go for a MORE MORE MORE approach that comes across as over the top in every way. The Long Dark for all its simplicity is like a finally crafted and perfectly balanced meal - one of those you want to come back to enjoy over and over again.

excellent! and welcome!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ryan ,the best part for me ist the beginning,with no weapons,food,base and with devastated clothing that protect you from nothing,only with a single flare.I call it the flare age :D Like the periodization of history in ages (stone,bronze,iron age) ,i have made my own in TLD

1. Flare age -no base,no food,not good clothing,no weapons,running with a single flare trough the wildernes

2.First house scavenged age- some food,better clothing,some material etc. but also only with the flare in hand,nearly defenseless in combat,but your action radius is much greater (you have some food/water)

3.Knife age - Yeah,you can now kill a single wolf or get a wolf/deer combo,but without the wolfskin coat it is a risk,i do it only near my home/base.Also i visit my friend Fluffy

3.Rifle age - geting the rifle and ammunition unlocks the safe deer/wolf combo,and this means the wolfskin coat,deer boots,and guts,what enable a mass production of snares,and this enable the rabbitskin mittens.You must have set your base ,where is a safe workbench,where you can produce all rifle age things

4.Hoard everything in your base age -looting all 3 maps in to a single base include the bunkers,in exeption of matches (they will be picked up in the time of need)

5. Hybernation age - have stocked hunderds liter of water,stockpiles of wood,starve to low condition,eat something,get better,check the snares,boil up water,make bandages,harvest all unnecesary items (can openers,prybars,clothing)

6.Out of ammo age - hunt with the knife to get guts for the snares,or abandoned deer carcas

I never make it more far,but here are more ´´ages´´ :D

7.Magnifying lense age - out of matches

8.No knife/hatchet age - abandoned deer carcas for leather,gut and some meat,picked up with bare hands and a near build fire.The snares are placed in a ring formation,when the rabbits are frozen,i made a fire in the midle to thaw the rabbits

9.This is the end age - death - i didnt like this age :/

• 1 month later...

I think my favorite part of the game is the elegant simplicity of it. The lack of "noise" allows me to fill the gameplay with my own experience. I start to make up stories for myself in the absence of a pre-written narrative, and that makes it a very personal journey.

It also makes it terrifying as crap when bears jump you outside your farmhouse at night...

• 2 weeks later...

First of all the game is a masterpiece :!: I didn´t play any games for more than 5 years but then i found a let´s play about TLD and my first thought was, magnificent job guys. I love the atmosphere, the design, every part of the whole thing. Played it for more than 500 hours and still loving it :D

This may seem a bit strange, but I love the voice acting by Jennifer Hale, particularly when she sprains an ankle. Every time it happens, no matter how many times I've heard her sucked intake of breath and exclamation of pain, I FEEL it. It radiates up through my hands, into my arms, and I get that weird tingly sensation you get after you stub a toe or bang your elbow into something. It's just so convincing I'm immediately checking myself for injury, even though I know logically there's no way I just sprained my ankle.

acting_patrick_stewart.gif

This may seem a bit strange, but I love the voice acting by Jennifer Hale, particularly when she sprains an ankle. Every time it happens, no matter how many times I've heard her sucked intake of breath and exclamation of pain, I FEEL it. It radiates up through my hands, into my arms, and I get that weird tingly sensation you get after you stub a toe or bang your elbow into something. It's just so convincing I'm immediately checking myself for injury, even though I know logically there's no way I just sprained my ankle.

Hinterlandbethany did, jokingly, misunderstand that characters should utter obscenely loud screams when in pain. I said +1. Is Jennifer Hale the next Margaret *******? Censored, to keep people searching her on Youtube and probably getting myself banned because of this. Imagine Merzbow coming from the vocal cords of a woman :roll:

• 2 weeks later...
Hello :D I'm Xylazz and i am a newbie over here on the forums, glad to be apart of this great community. I recently bought ' The Long Dark' on the Xbox One and i am loving every minute of it!

Hey, Xylazz! So exciting to see our new XBox community is already finding its way to our forums! We love hearing from our players and are really looking forward to hearing from you guys.

Welcome to the forums! Have fun!

Hey newbe here. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Just a few thoughts I will share.

The thing I like most about this game is having to use my brain to survive.

Any mistakes could cost a life but the learning comes only with the experience of doing.

I guess overall for me exploring the different areas are some of the funnest parts.

Great game already but still in Alpha, can't wait to see what else this has to offer. I am hooked :)

Hey newbe here. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Just a few thoughts I will share.

The thing I like most about this game is having to use my brain to survive.

Any mistakes could cost a life but the learning comes only with the experience of doing.

I guess overall for me exploring the different areas are some of the funnest parts.

Great game already but still in Alpha, can't wait to see what else this has to offer. I am hooked :)

Hey, Dantuin!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! As always, I'm happy to hear you're enjoying the game so far.

Welcome to the forums!

Ahoy,

I have to say my favorite part is the weather. How the weather affects the way I play. If the wind is kicking up high I just do some repairing and harvesting my items to buy time. Or hating the fog where I can be lost from my current shelter from only 50 ft away! It has helped me on paying attention to my environment and focusing on direction.

ps. a nice touch with the crows filling over dead things.

Archived