Hylander Plays Stalker

Hylander

In my most recent game, I died a horrible death from a consecutive bear/wolf attack on day 63. I decided to start a new game, this time recording what I was doing. Hopefully it will help people who want to see how I do things.

Hopefully YouTube will end up with a decently high resolution version of it eventually - I uploaded at 2560 x 1440.

Note that I've never done anything like this before - I don't have professional equipment, and normally my videos star robots that I build.

Here's the first episode:

[bBvideo 560,340:3jycdiz2]

[/bBvideo]

Hylander,

Okay, I've watched all five of the existing episodes and really enjoyed them!

(Spoilers below regarding play-style and events from the episodes, so those who haven't seen the videos yet may want to watch them first. But, as spoilers go, these are pretty inconsequential.)

[spoil]I definitely like your style of play--I do some of the same things you do, but I'm not nearly as competent with TLD as you are yet. Also, while you move very efficiently through all of the lootable locations and move on, I definitely set up a home somewhere as soon as possible on each map, and then try to live there for as long as I can, until I begin to run out of critical materials. Then I head off to the next map.

Regardless, I've definitely learned and picked up some new ideas from watching you.

And, man, all I could think when you came around the side of the porch at Misanthrope's Homestead and that wolf popped out about 10 meters in front of you was, "Yep, that pretty much sums up most of my experience on Coastal Highway!" And that's why I moved to PV after only being on CH for about 19 days (on Voyageur, not Stalker). I've been having a fairly decent run and hoped to avoid ending up in a wolf's belly for at least a little while longer...

What's really cool, though, is how you've been able to almost completely avoid those kinds of incidents. I definitely need to do more of that![/spoil]

One last thing: I like the fact that there's not an over-abundance of commentary. Many YouTube Let's Players seem to think that they need to be constantly saying something, even if it's not particularly relevant to whatever's going on in the game at the moment. But you only make remarks when you want to explain something, clarify why you made a particular choice, etc., and I find that refreshing.

So, again, keep 'em comin'!

--Gibbon

Thanks Gibbon, I appreciate the feedback.

If I was going for a personal day-record (which for me right now is something like 103 days), I would probably start on PV, stay there for a long time, then travel to Coastal, and finally end up on Mystery Lake.

But I like Pleasant Valley a lot, and I don't really care what my day-counter is, so I'm just looking for stuff that will be useful long term (like ammo, first aid, stuff like that) before I settle there.

And finally, Episode 8, where I harvest the bear, and finish things up.

I stopped recording at this point, mainly because the point of these videos is to hopefully show people how I get past the first phase of the game in Stalker mode, which is getting a home base set up and getting established.

[bBvideo 560,340:3jfd1yer]

[/bBvideo]

I'll be starting to upload my second series shortly, where I start (and stay) in Pleasant Valley.

Hylander,

I'm currently on episode 7 and have been enjoying it, so, thanks. I'll be sure to watch the final episode, also!

If I was going for a personal day-record (which for me right now is something like 103 days), I would probably start on PV, stay there for a long time, then travel to Coastal, and finally end up on Mystery Lake.

But I like Pleasant Valley a lot, and I don't really care what my day-counter is, so I'm just looking for stuff that will be useful long term (like ammo, first aid, stuff like that) before I settle there.

Yeah, in retrospect, I should have been able to figure out that that's what you were doing, instead of going for a personal record. :oops:

Regardless, you should definitely consider making more episodes of a long-term Stalker run. I think that a lot of people would enjoy--and learn a lot from--seeing you do that.

Anyway, I've enjoyed your videos--nice job!

--Gibbon

Archived