How to hunt down bears?

Scyzara

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to ask if anyone of you has found a decent method how to hunt black bears.

I managed to kill one bear myself (playing on voyageur mode, wore wolfskin mantle/deerskin boots/rabbitskin mitts), but it almost killed me and totally wrecked my clothing.

As I've already survived for 140d+ and really have no intention to take extreme risks, I'm not going to repeat my bear hunt without a more secure technique. ^^

My personal experience:

I approached the bear from the front, shot 2 Bullets in its head (not sure if the first one hit the head, however it definitely hit the bear somewhere as the blood trail started 30m away from me). Regarding the second bullet, I'm quite sure that it was a headshot.

However, the bear didn't die, but only screamed out, rushed towards me and I came into the fighting "mini game" known from the wolfes, only that I couldn't see any mouse bars. I nevertheless left and rightklicked my mouse like a mad(wo)man, but it didn't seem to have any effect. Then my character probably passed out (screen went white). When I woke up, I saw the bear collapsing next to me, I was bleeding and my condition was down to 5%. Not to mention I almost got a heart attack IRL.^^

I somehow managed to get back into my base alive, recovered a bit, repaired my clothes and the next day went back to the bear corpse to harvest it. (Only gave me 5kg of meat, which seems rather odd as black bears should weight between 50-100kg at least).

To cut a long story short: I'm not going to repeat this experience.

TL,DR:

Did anybody have more success with killing bears?

Maybe shooting them from a great distance and running away or waving torches until they bleed out?

I'm way to scared to try anything unconfirmed right now.^^

• 3 weeks later...

here's what I've done successfully twice. Find the bear and get him to walk towards you. Stay just far enough away so he doesn't charge, but close enough to keep his attention. Lead him to a structure you can get into. When you get close enough to the structure and the bear is still in your rifle sight, shoot him and run inside. Admittedly, it's not very sporting and it takes a LOT of patience to walk him all the way there. However, if you can pull it off, you'll be able to harvest him right outside your door.

What I'm still tinkering with... the first time, I shot him from the snow and he died right in front of the house. The second bear I shot while standing on a porch and he ran back to where I first picked him up. I'm guessing there's a trigger that if we shoot them from the "open" they charge but if we shoot them from a porch they flee.

Something to try, anyway.

Three of the bears can be shot from a safe place where they don't get to you (in this build :twisted: ). The one in the east though is best dealt with with your method, I couldn't find a safe spot to shoot it, trying to lure it to the fishing hut or hunter's blind is probably the best option ;)

12-16 bullets for a bearskin bedroll seems silly...

I agree and I wouldn't do it; not worth it. However, I did get lucky and kill a bear with one shot to the head by hiding behind a tree. I saw it coming across the river and tried to guess where it would emerge into the rifle site from behind the tree. Luckily, the bears pause for a brief instant when they first see you and I fired at the same time. "Hide and Wait" works on deer too.

What I'm still tinkering with... the first time, I shot him from the snow and he died right in front of the house. The second bear I shot while standing on a porch and he ran back to where I first picked him up. I'm guessing there's a trigger that if we shoot them from the "open" they charge but if we shoot them from a porch they flee.

My third successful try was barely successful. I was too far from cover and he mauled me. HOWEVER, while I was at 9% life, my clothes were not all ruined. Hooray! I'm hoping that's a permanent fix. To be without clothes and nearly dead is pretty harsh. But just being nearly dead is do-able. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The new [spoil]Coastal Highway[/spoil] bears have patrolling routes that make it quite easy to shoot them and escape into a house/cabin afterwards. I guess that's even safer (and more realistic) than climbing rocks.^^

This is awesome! I now have a new goal....!@!!

Where do the bears usually hang out in the old maps?

[spoil]I've found three bears on the CH map (yet). One is roaming the area north-west of the fishing camp, the second is near Misanthrope's Island and the third can occasionally be found within the coastal town.

Somebody also found a bear near the pensive pond on the Mystery lake map.[/spoil]

The AI for bears seems to have changed significantly. Since the last major update to 226-228 I've taken down two bears.

During my first bear attempt I shot the bear from a distance. He immediately turned toward me but did not charge (because I was quite a ways away) and instead started to slowly lumber toward me. I crept back a few steps at a time for quite a while with him consistently moving my direction. Unfortunately the weather started getting bad after some time so I grew impatient and let him get too close during my second shot. He charge and pounced on me - ripping my clothing to shreds and nearly killing me before getting up, walking slowly away and collapsing.

During my second bear attempt I shot the bear from a distance again but this time I had more time to slowly lure him back toward my home base. I believe I shot him two additional times (total of three shots) before he finally collapsed. No charge that time because I stayed back the entire time.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived