Hello from a North Carolinian living in Vancouver!

revisedreality

I've posted on the forum a few times, so I thought maybe I should hop over here and introduce myself!

As I mentioned, I'm a native of North Carolina (Eastern coast of the United States for those unfamiliar), and I recently moved to Vancouver to attend school. I started out strictly as a 3D modeler/animator, but I've branched out into visual effects and texture work, and I'm having a hard time picking a favorite! Games like Mass Effect (yay Mark Meer and Jennifer Hale!), Fallout, and Mirrors Edge were what inspired me to move here in the first place, but I soon found that I was dying to learn anything and everything that allowed me to be digitally creative. I was never much of an artist as far as painting or drawing on paper or canvas goes, but a mouse and keyboard (and sometimes a tablet) have allowed me to at least pretend like I have some kind of artistic vision and skill!

I'm super enthusiastic about games like The Long Dark, and studios like Hinterland are really great reminders for me that a group of artists with different visions can come together to create something no one else has really done before. Just when you think you've seen it all, a new studio pops out of the woodwork and gives you something you never even knew you wanted, but just HAVE to have. I'm also really fascinated by how a lot of developers are really embracing the virtual reality aspect of gaming. I nerd out pretty hard over things like the Oculus Rift, the Virtuix Omni, and Sony's new Project Morpheus, and I'm really excited to think how much ideas like this could really change gaming and film.

As far as living in Canada goes, I absolutely love it. The city I'm from has a decent population (maybe 200,000), but is structurally small compared to Vancouver. Even after being here for 18 months, I still marvel at the size of some of the buildings and continue to be amazed by the sheer density of the population in the downtown area. If I sound like a small town girl, it's because I am! I was also lucky enough to finally get to visit Victoria last week, and it really reminded me of home. I loved exploring Victoria, but if I'm being honest, I was a little distracted by the fact that Hinterland exists somewhere in that city!

I'm pretty quiet in person since I love to listen to other people talk, but I tend to ramble when I write. Hope whoever might read this enjoys the novel!

Glad to have you here, I also moved to Vancouver but from a little closer the Comox Valley where Hinterlands is camped out. As someone who dabbles in 3D modeling & game design I would love to see some of your work.

I hope you continue to enjoy the great white north, the rains are never far away :P

Cheers

It's raining right now and I love it! Summer in NC is so hot and humid. It was in the 40's (Celcius) a few days ago with over 90% humidity...Yeah, I don't miss that at all.

I don't have any of my work uploaded to any public forums yet, but I'll be working on setting up a website in the next couple of months, so maybe I can share then!

I haven't seen it (Budapest) yet, but I definitely will! I saw Life Aquatic during a crazy period in my life, and it was just a beautiful little film to me. I love listening to Seu Jorge sing David Bowie on rainy days! ...Which happens much more frequently than it did in NC...

-Bethany (Figured I could throw that out there too while I'm in a sharing mood)

Archived