What is the 1 thing you enjoy most about The Long Dark?

Ryan CM

the sound effects seem to be getting so real, awesome sound recordings. The best keep it going.

We have some very talented men behind those sounds -- Dave Chan and Glenn Jamison. I know they always appreciate knowing people are loving the sound. It is pretty amazing!

• Upvote 1

We have some very talented men behind those sounds -- Dave Chan and Glenn Jamison. I know they always appreciate knowing people are loving the sound. It is pretty amazing!

It's fantastic stuff, the sounds are subtle and very minimalist. The dripping of a faucet, the sound of my breathing when I'm about to shoot a deer, the unnerving crackle of my flare as I steadily creep through the inner workings of the dam. You guys have a knack for accenting the most important noises in an atmosphere, those sounds that are around us all the time, but which become obsessively obvious in our state of solitary. It creates a very lonely atmosphere.

• Upvote 1

The atmosphere, no doubt. You guys have nailed the feeling of being trapped alone on the wilderness. This game is like made for me, so thank you for this awesome work you have done! (And keep it going)

Thanks very much. Welcome to the forums!

In response to the discussion about the sound effects, I agree that they're nice. And these Chan and Jamison guys may be good at what they do, but they are some sneaky, evil bastards.

I swear they mixed the wolf growl & howl sound effects into the wind noise, just to make me look over my shoulder in fear every 5 seconds.

• Upvote 1

Let's face it, The Long Dark deserves more than 5 Words or Less to describe the phenomenal design, and aspect of the game. I've always dreamed of playing a survival based game that didn't have "Zombies" or "Tribal Warriors" hunting you down, and The Long Dark provided this. It provided a simulation of what it would be like to survive on your own, out in the cold vast Canadian Wilderness, you got no one to talk to, but the creatures that lurk in the wilderness. Sure it might not seem graphically realistic, but it contains all the necessary vital pieces to create that semi-perfect survival experience. I do questions some things about the game, but never to the point where I want to abandoned it for good. We still have to keep in mind this is the Alpha Stage. But besides all the set-backs, bugs, glitches, and errors in the game, it honestly is a fun, scary, and thinking-based game that will surely grab your attention and immerse you into the game.

I use to always result to Minecraft for a some what Survival Experience, but that was down right dull and boring. The Long Dark has provided what I was looking for, and I'm glad to have come across such a fascinating game. I have mad respect for everyone that helped make this game possible. I can't wait for future updates, I know they will surprise us.

• Upvote 1

Let's face it, The Long Dark deserves more than 5 Words or Less to describe the phenomenal design, and aspect of the game...

Wow! Very high praise, thanks so much.

Welcome to you and all of our other new members in the thread! Great to have you all.

my latest was standing out of the wind on my porch as dusk/night happened with a blizzard rolling in.

It was awesome watching how the wind and snow particles moved so fluid around the building and landscape.

Was thinking wow must be a lot of spiffy programming to make that work well. Also I figured PC hardware/graphics helps a lot :) Either way it's looking awesome so far!

I like the atmosphere of the game. No zombies, mutants, monsters, or legions of faceless bad guys you mindlessly mow down with a hail of bullets. I like the realism, no sound save for the wind whistling through the sentinel trees and my footsteps in the white snow with the occasional guitar strumming in the background.