What is the 1 thing you enjoy most about The Long Dark?

Ryan CM

27 minutes ago, Cr41g said:

Everything... it's like being in a group of seven painting, the artwork is fabulous... the gameplay is engaging.. it is my new favourite game by a longshot... oh and the Canadian Flag everywhere ..

I had never heard of the Group of Seven, but I just looked up their art.  You're spot on.  I wonder if they were a direct influence on the game design.

25 minutes ago, Prestermatt said:

I had never heard of the Group of Seven, but I just looked up their art.  You're spot on.  I wonder if they were a direct influence on the game design.

I would like to think that the games designers had them in mind and that they had a big influence in the art style of the game...

Doesn't sacrifice the simulation for realism.

There are a ton of things I love about this game; palette, sounds, no save, practically everything.  But the way the game keeps the focus on what survival is *like* without killing it with hyper-realism is absolutely amazing.  Do things decay faster than they "should"?  Yes.  Do you recover faster from injury than you "should"?  Yes.  If you focus in on any one detail, it's probably "wrong" (let's see you fix Goretex snowpants with a terry cloth towel!), but they always maintain the focus on the choices you're making.  Risk dodgy food, or go hunting?  Enough food, enough tools, or both, and be over-loaded?  Repair things often and need to loot farther afield, or hoard supplies and risk losing those irreplaceable Mukluks to a wolf? Go after a moose, or live with a 30 kilo limit? Spend a bullet on that wolf, or a flare, risk the attack, or run like hell and hope? 

Those choices, and the balance of risk and scarcity are what make the game very realistic without bogging down in details.  And, in the end, when you get past the scarcity hump, the only real danger is the mistakes you make, and the boredom that leads you to make them.  I am constantly impressed by how it comes together that way.

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think my favourite thing about this game is the fact that the elements are your biggest enemy. I love freezing to death, having a sudden blizzard and getting lost, all of that sort of stuff. Also as an honourable mention the aurora is really cool. It's pretty and the first time I saw that it was turning on the power I was just thinking of how nifty it was.

Ambience, Character, Aesthetic, Mystery, Adventure. Five words or less.

By character I don't mean the player character. That's just silly. I more mean the character it gives you. The importance that you take care of yourself in order to survive. Never giving up when all the chips are on the table. Thus far in the Long Dark there has never been a better feeling than when I am at my worst, facing death before dawn or before sundown, and I achieve my objective which will allow me to survive.

• 4 weeks later...