What is the 1 thing you enjoy most about The Long Dark?

Ryan CM

I love the game because I've never felt such a sense of peril playing a game, nor such a sense of relief when reaching safety, or such a sense of real nostalgia when returning to a familiar place. I think what this game does better than most is draw out the experience from the player's own heart and mind, and it's magical.

• Upvote 2

On 6/25/2016 at 2:04 PM, CarolinaSantAngelo said:

I thought i was the only one. I didn't know if I was going mad, i'm actually hearing wolves or it is the wind. 

yeah! I have noticed this in other games as well. subtly mixing in danger sounds into non-danger sounds to amp up the tension.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2017-05-28 at 10:10 PM, TROY said:

Walking in a Winter Wonderland. 

I never miss winter when it's gone but when it's been a hot and sticky day like today, come home and relax to TLD, just cools you right down :) Not sure if 'relax' is quite the right word though.

Edited by SnowWalker
  • Upvote 1

Snapping the necks of rabbits.

Before you write me off as a serial killer in the making, let me explain.
Just after the Faithful Cartographer update came out, I picked up a handful of rocks (because I could) and threw them (because I could).  Then I read the description and noticed that it said it would stun a small animal.  Just so happened that I was in one of the rabbit spawn areas.  I tried doing some realistic throws and missed every time.  So I said to hell with it and just ran up to the first rabbit I saw and started throwing rocks.  I was really surprised when I hit one...not nearly as surprised as when I picked it up.
I was confused as to whether or not I'd actually killed it and then the animation continued past the initial scoop off the ground.  Now I'm staring into the face of this rabbit wondering, "Why is my hand behind its head?  Am I going to pet this thing?  That doesn't seem right..."  And then the release/kill options popped up.  (Did I mention I'm playing with my child sitting next to me?)  I'm still a bit frustrated from earlier, it's only been a few seconds, so I'm not about to release my prize.  So I choose "Kill"...  And my son screamed.  In fairness, so did I...just not for the same reason.  (His was disgust, mine was morbidly dark amusement.)  So now I'm in my living room with my son covering his face in disgust... and I'm cackling like a mad woman.  I did not expect that.

Well, that took an unexpected turn...
So did his neck.

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The simplicity of the game ... survive against nature ... no zombies or monsters or aliens or soldiers ... just a howling cold wind and the growling of your stomach.

Specifically though, finding hat/gloves on interloper, lol.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2017 at 11:01 AM, NardoLoopa said:

Jack London novel in a watercolor painting.

Good lord yes, I remember in high school reading "To Build a Fire" and Gary Paulson's Hatchet as well. This game really meshes well to both of those stories, it's great.

I think what happened with me was awesome, I had bought the game back in 2015. I made a go of it on my laptop, wasn't too bad at surviving at mystery lake, but I dropped it after a while, too many times dying in the dam and the vicinity I think. I picked the game up like a week ago after all these updates and its like a new renaissance for me. The one thing I like about this is the nervous energy of explore, survive, thrive, and move forward. Doesn't happen too often with many other games I play, Fallout 4's survival mechanics are kind of boring.

• Upvote 1

On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 10:51 AM, VociferousRex said:

Snapping the necks of rabbits.

Before you write me off as a serial killer in the making, let me explain.
Just after the Faithful Cartographer update came out, I picked up a handful of rocks (because I could) and threw them (because I could).  Then I read the description and noticed that it said it would stun a small animal.  Just so happened that I was in one of the rabbit spawn areas.  I tried doing some realistic throws and missed every time.  So I said to hell with it and just ran up to the first rabbit I saw and started throwing rocks.  I was really surprised when I hit one...not nearly as surprised as when I picked it up.
I was confused as to whether or not I'd actually killed it and then the animation continued past the initial scoop off the ground.  Now I'm staring into the face of this rabbit wondering, "Why is my hand behind its head?  Am I going to pet this thing?  That doesn't seem right..."  And then the release/kill options popped up.  (Did I mention I'm playing with my child sitting next to me?)  I'm still a bit frustrated from earlier, it's only been a few seconds, so I'm not about to release my prize.  So I choose "Kill"...  And my son screamed.  In fairness, so did I...just not for the same reason.  (His was disgust, mine was morbidly dark amusement.)  So now I'm in my living room with my son covering his face in disgust... and I'm cackling like a mad woman.  I did not expect that.

Well, that took an unexpected turn...
So did his neck.

My girlfriend is horrified by the rabbits. I'm like, "Hun it's a survival game, it's him or me...."

It's true, the bunny is food. Sometimes I miss a lot and I expend calories chasing rabbits around and throwing rocks at them. When I finally catch one...or three...I'm not going to just let them go. They will get in me belly!

• Upvote 1

Five Words :

Facing

The

Quiet

Apocalypse

*Alone*

I mean, that's the pure joy of the game, the very intention of Sandbox (turning Survival). It's all about your own adventure, no one else guiding you along the way or providing you with any kind of support. And, according to the FAQ's on the official website, Hinterland has no intent on adding a multiplayer feature to the game in any way, which is to my utmost satisfaction.