Why I find Jackrabbit Island to be the best camp in Stalker

ChillPlayer

The reality is that you would only voluntarily attack a wolf when you had no other choice. Which is what you did. People who start out on Day 1 going after wolves are not playing honestly I feel.

How does Trapper's being on the edge matter? I go there after collecting 20 scrap metals and 20 cloths. There is nothing else you need for weeks. Once low on something, it is a day or overnight trip to go get more of something. Did you notice that it is residence "A"? I think it was meant to be your main abode. No one in their right mind would pick a place without a fire on the interior. I try to play games as if I'm really there and I have only one life to lose with no restarts.

Trappers being on the edge is not my issue, on the contrary it's what makes it alluring. There are mainly two issues that speak against it: only one door and very limited storage place. The latter is the reason why I rather think it's meant as a temporary stay in a new game.

And if reality drives you, ask yourself: would you trap yourself in a building with only one exit that occasionally gets stalked by a wolf or would you rather stay in a building with two exits, one of them guarded by a fence? I've spent in total ~70 days on the island cooking outside, often until 2am or later. Not once got I attacked by a wolf. That's not to say it is completely impossible (purpleater with his 950 days on the island would know it better ;)) but very rarely - much rarer than a wolf waiting outside Trappers.

There's another thing I don't like about Trappers: Every path leads over hills and through forrest, plenty of hidingspots for wolves and in Stalker there are wolves everywhere around T's. My safety is my main concern too obviously and I feel safest on the island ;)

In my current run, there has never been a wolf outside the door there. Remember, they tweaked the code for that.

IRL, you would not want to be outside in the wind, even if next to a fire. You'd want the comforts and physical security of indoors. Now, if other humans were around then maybe outdoors could be safer and you'd be less of a target with more escape routes.

Two doors also means the WOLVES have two ways in! LOL

Are you playing on Stalker? I have roughly once a week a visit from a wolf when I stay in Trappers.

Nope. I normally used Normal mode for games. Some games that I know like the back of my hand I play on the hardest like FarCry2.

Ah well that explains why you feel so comfortable at Trappers. As I stated in the title I am speaking about Stalker explicitly. Main reason has alot todo with everything wolf and Stalker is mostly about wolves. As I said before, with the exception of gaz station maybe, it pretty much doesn't matter where you live in voyageur, choose the place that has the best vibes for you and be happy ;)

Stalker is much more punishing when it comes to wolves. First you need to learn to defend them because you will have more fights than in voyageur. But then stuff that comes in abundance in voyageur, like cloth or antiseptic, becomes precious good in Stalker very quickly and you do not want to waste it. 4 out of 5 fights against a wolf will left you bleeding, which is why a location as near wolf-proof as the island is just too good a place to not live in.

Archived