5 playthroughs, same result.

blargen

Me and wolves are not friends. Logged all my games so I can look for a pattern. There definitely is one.

All games take place on Mystery Lake map, Voyageur difficulty.

1st game.

Lasted 3 days, 15 hours, 8 min. Died of blood loss from a wolf attack when harvesting a deer I shot.

2nd game

Lasted 1 day, 14 hours, 3 min. Died of blood loss from 2 straight wolf attacks when stuck in fishing hut.

3rd game

Lasted 0 days, 12 hours, 44 min. Died of blood loss from 1 or 2 wolf attacks. In the Dam, it was dark, i knew the risk. but thought I can loot it by throwing the flare in the hallway then speed loot and get out before the flare died. I was wrong. In the dark I fended off first wolf, but before I could patch got attacked again. Same wolf, different wolf. or just Fluffy.

4th game

Lasted 0 days, 0 hours, 9 min. Died of blood loss from a wolf attacking me, in a blizzard, in one of those burned out rotted houses (Deadfall area), beat him off with 3% condition left. Died shortly after.

5th game

Lasted 4 days, 12 hours, 11 min. Died of blood loss from wolf attack. RIGHT OUTSIDE MY DOOR. This one I'm actually annoyed with. I was doing good, getting a feel and avoiding wolves. I stepped out of Trappers hut and as soon as my screen loaded to a beautiful clear day I was attacked by a wolf. On the ground inches from my door, i was too stunned to react. I just shook my head in disbelief.

Think its time I try the Coastal Map, or learn to deal with wolves better.

Love the game, and love all the stories people have about their experiences.

Yeah I found the coastal map a lot more difficult, though it *seems* like it would be easier. I suppose your first few hours are probably easier given the amount of loot and shelter, but after that it's wolves and more wolves. The only viable bases seem to be the islands, and they have no potbelly stoves and no workbenches at present.

Coastal Highway is definitely more difficult for beginners, it has less good base locations and it's harder to find hunting rifles and ammo... avoiding wolves while looting is also way harder on Coastal Highway.

Just keep your eyes peeled and give wolves a WIDE berth (stay far away, out of their LOS and sneak if necessary) until you have a rifle or at least a hunting knife or hatchet to help you fight them off. Use flares judiciously as a last resort, don't use them as a way to just run past wolves if you could sneak around instead. And do not even go into Carter Hydro Dam until you have a rifle or a hunting knife because Fluffy WILL wreck you.

My first five or so games all ended within the first week because of learning these lessons the hard way, but now I'm on day 55 and still going strong :)

Coastal Highway is much harder because of the wolves... I usually start in Coastal, grab some food and loot and go to Mystery.. I can survive in Mystery easily... But now I plan to make as many wolf pelt coats as possible, so it will be back to Coastal for war HAHAH

Well as all of us had to, you need to learn your lessons too ;) Going inside the dam without a rifle is a no go. Sleeping in a house with only one door is a no go. Harvesting between hills without clear sight around you is a very risky go. Not being prepared before every corner that breaks sight of your path is a no go. And because you are planing to go to the coast: Staying at gaz station is a no go (for beginners at least), staying at the abandoned outlook is a no-no-never-do this-go, unless you want to fight 2-3 wolves simultaniously ;)

Here's a typicall learning curve considering wolves:

- first you die a lot

- then you learn to avoid them

- then you learn to hunt them

- and lastly they become your main diversion of your daily routine by getting a wolf to hunt down a deer for you, so you can kill it and get deer and wolf meat.

happy hunting ;)

Archived