93 days and arghh!

The_Hawk35

So I had a nice long run 93 days!

I was living quite nicely on the Mystery Lake map. I had examined every building, had found the bunker and had a great hunting pattern:

- Find several deer across the railroad towards the downfall.

- Push the deer across the tracks to the lake.

- Allow one to be killed by a wolf and then kill the wolf and take all the meat!

I had over 50 fir wood stored

I had 3 days of canned good incase of bad weather.

I'd made all the craftable cloths.

But I was running low on scrap metal and cloth to repair things, and one can't be without a knife, hatchet, or gun. I knew I need to get some supplies.

So off I went...Belly full...4 kilos of meat, 1 MRE, 5 rounds in the rifle and a mind to adventure.

I travelled to the ravine and successfully navigated the treacherous path. The wind whipped up briefly but I help on and was sure that I would make it!

I got to the Coastal Town map and looked around at the new location. I followed the rails and found a building and an unfortunate soul.

I spent the evening here comfortable in the trailer.

The following day I headed out to explore more of the countryside. I decided to follow the creek down the mountain. I passed several camps and found more unfortunate folks.

Finally I made it out to Rabbit island. Where I found a house, I was surprised that there was no fireplace here. But I decided to make this my main base.

I spent the afternoon exploring several of the fishing huts and found many supplies. Clearly this hit these people quickly and hard!

I found a lumber business of some sort on the shore, but it had burnt down. So I continued on to explore more Fishing huts.

Again I found some supplies, but it was getting late. As I was heading back to Jack Rabbit Island I noticed a deer and drove them towards the wolf in the distance.

The wolf took the scent and chased the deer, I followed at a safe distance and watched the wolf take down the deer. I crept up to the killing site with my .303 up. I got the wolf in my sights and took my shot. The wolf was wounded but did not go down.

I rushed to where I had hit the wolf and noted a good solid blood trail. I decided to harvest the deer to allow the wolf to bleed out at it's own pace. Once I'd gathered all I could from the deer I tracked the wolf. I found him a short distance away where he had sought shelter in some grasses.

I harvested all I could from the wolf and trekked home. I was carrying quite a bit by this point and it was slow going.

I managed to find my way into the house I had chosen as my home. Once home I lit a fire outside and cooked some of the wolf meat and made some water safe to drink and bedded down for the night.

The following morning I decided to explore the other island I saw on the lake. I ate my fill, drank up and headed out. It was a foggy morning, but as I headed to the other island the fog lifted, the sun came out, and it warmed up to the point it felt like +10 degC as I wandered about.

As I reached the other island it seemed similar to the one I had just been in. However I noted a lack of the rabbits that had inhabited the previous island. Undeterred I continued on.

As I rounded a boulder I came face to face with a wolf! I fought off the wolf successfully! But I was injured, so I took a few min to bandage myself and make certain I wasn't at risk of infection. I was very close to the shelter of the house on the island so I continued on! I hadn't gone 2m when I was attacked by another wolf from around a boulder, I never even heard this one! I again fought it off! I was able again to stop the bleeding, however while I was cleaning the wound I was attacked a 3rd time by a wolf. This one at 100% health, and I didn't stand a chance. This time nature had their way with me and I ...

Faded into the Long Dark

Yeah I made one supply run to the highway map on my current game and nearly died twice from wolf ambushes. A third time near the service station I managed to impose Rule Three O Three just in the nick of time, with the wolf dying at my feet. I'm coming to the conclusion that it's a death trap. Too many wolves right over the top of rises or around trees, and there's no easy way to see them from a distance once you're in the town area or around the cabins. I still may end up having to go back for a second supply run, but with ammo running out I'm not looking forward to it. You can bypass some of the wolves by cutting across the switchbacks down the hill and sticking to the lake, but coming back you're basically required to run the gauntlet esp. for that bastard who patrols the last switchback up the hill to the railroad tracks.

Yeah I made one supply run to the highway map on my current game and nearly died twice from wolf ambushes. A third time near the service station I managed to impose Rule Three O Three just in the nick of time, with the wolf dying at my feet. I'm coming to the conclusion that it's a death trap. Too many wolves right over the top of rises or around trees, and there's no easy way to see them from a distance once you're in the town area or around the cabins. I still may end up having to go back for a second supply run, but with ammo running out I'm not looking forward to it. You can bypass some of the wolves by cutting across the switchbacks down the hill and sticking to the lake, but coming back you're basically required to run the gauntlet esp. for that bastard who patrols the last switchback up the hill to the railroad tracks.

I don't even bother looting the gas station without having several flares with me since I don't want to waste ammo on any of the like 4 wolves that patrol the townsite and that part of the lake and highway. I'm always amazed when people say they use the Quonset Gas Station as their base... like yeah, it's an awesome base on the inside, but on the outside there are a handful of very hungry wolves that respawn every night. I usually live on either Jackrabbit Island or the Misanthrope's island.

Also, remember, double wolf attack is instant death. I don't advise the gas station as a base because you can walk out and get insta-killed by two wolves. I once hid in a car and there 4 wolves all around me. Mystery Lake is much easier because the wolves are not congested like they are in Highway.

I've never been killed or attacked exiting the gas station, and I've spent well over 100 days there in my various runs. I normally use the back door, and the very first thing you do (if you don't hear a growl) is look left and right to make sure there aren't any sneaking up on you. After that I normally run straight back, and then circle left or right depending on where I'm going.

I normally get ambushed going over snow banks.

I don't usually get ambushed by the gas station either, just getting out of there without attracting a wolf is either a tricky or a tedious thing to do. I'm about to abandon Coastal Highway anyway (day 64) in my current game, although it may take me a week or two to just move all my stuff.

I don't usually get ambushed by the gas station either, just getting out of there without attracting a wolf is either a tricky or a tedious thing to do. I'm about to abandon Coastal Highway anyway (day 64) in my current game, although it may take me a week or two to just move all my stuff.

I staged my gear up at the trailer near the ravine. Then ferried them to the Camp Office over 4 days :)

I was using that trailer as a rest point too--until I got ambushed by a wolf coming over the snow berm right next to it! That same one has nailed me several times. Not fatally--yet. But I've now given up trying to depot at the trailer and cut down the hill and do a death march right out to the islands.

Archived