The 20 Day Run (Was: 5/10 Day Run) -- Survival Challenge

I just recently lasted for 8 days, silly me I didn't take a screenshot. I'll try for a reload to see how far in I am from a save.

I guess you can't load the most recent game back up after you quit from the main menu. Is this a bug or intentional?

Permadeath -- it's intentional [Rph at Hinterland is a beast and enjoys watching us die] *lol*

You'll be able to load saved games from where you last slept -- but once you die, you die... It may seem frustrating when you've been having a great run except for one stupid mistake when not paying attention at the end -- but then again permadeath makes more sense to me when playing now because you constantly have to keep your guard up to survive. I had originally wanted save spots, but that would mean you could just relax know you would just restart from the last save -- no effort (or real satisfaction for surviving long runs). This way, when you get a long survival session, you know you've earned it with pride.

Save spots (I believe) will be present in story mode when the game is in final release

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jIbdxYz.png

This is my record so far, I don't use the reload feature cause its basically cheating so screw that. I'm also recording all of my runs and uploading to http://www.youtube.com/user/IamPetard. I'm getting slightly better with every run but I need to memorize the map as soon as possible cause there's no way to survive 20 days without knowing where every bed is.

What I love the most is that every run is an exciting journey and its barely alpha.

Made it to just over fifteen days, but forgot to take a screenshot. I ran out of resources, basically. Accidentally harvested my loaded rifle instead of my spare and lost my bullets, and spent the rest of my time searching for food. Wolves got me as I was staving to death - I started walking, hoping I'd find something.

centerhttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuELiAcIMAA0nAv.jpg

So I made it to sixteen days, but sadly, hit a bug and the game crashed as I went outside. I think I would have made it to eighteen (maybe even twenty)...had 1 cooked venison on me, I found a sneaky can of beans under the counter top, and I had three bullets. And plenty of water.

SO. CLOSE.

FvUBuy8.jpg

rfiIEA2.jpg

Had another spectacular run this morning, too - fifteen days in, hit the same bug (all keys stopped working, except WASD) and had to kill the program in my task manager. But. I was holed up in the trapper's cabin, had 11 wood on the floor, 11 bullets spread over two rifles (one of which had recently been repaired), a can of peaches, jerky, and a candy bar. And about 8L of water. I really think I would have run the clock out on 20 days.

Ah, well.

UmNqyVM.jpg

Guest Alan Lawrance

Have you tried Load from your previous save (i.e., last time you rested) after this problem? I'm curious if the problem reproduces itself after that.

22 DAYS!!!

Pyh4B8t.jpg

ecFmt5H.jpg

IOG9vUT.jpg

Fv6ivgf.png

Thoughts on the epic 22 day run:

• I was fortunate and found 15 bullets; rifle goes down by 5% with each shot, so I had to harvest a lantern to repair it.
  • Clothing repair is essential. I focused too much on my underthings - repaired my long underwear a couple of times, but I think now I should have spent some more effort on my coat and sweater. I ran out of cloth; hopefully soon you can use leather (maybe in conjunction with a sewing kit?) to repair clothing. My ability to stay warm really started to nosedive after I lost my jeans.
  • I took chances eating raw meat - when it's in the 80%+ range, it's worth the risk for the extra 250 calories.
  • The lantern: use it to keep warm outside -- sparingly, of course, since fuel burns fast, but you can take the edge off the cold by having the lantern lit. It doesn't work well when you're freezing, but gives a bit of a boost. Flares are not very useful for warmth.
  • The biggest single factor in surviving is the water. Water, water, water. I tried to keep at least 7 litres on the floor of my safehouse at all times.
  • I ended my days at the Trapper's Cabin. I think it would have been better to be at the camp office, but I waited too long to go back and wouldn't have survived the trip. There are more deer on the rail line (which makes sense -- animals would use clearer paths themselves) and there's a much better chance of wolf kills.
  • Never ever sleep at the Observation Post. Get up there, get your stuff, and get OUT. That place is a meat locker at night.

Archived