The 20 Day Run (Was: 5/10 Day Run) -- Survival Challenge

Great work, Rob! You are the current Survival King.

:oops:

*btw* Is it fair that RobDoar gets to use his real life survival equipment in the game? Seriously -- awesome job Rob! :o

I haven't even gotten to pick my gear item yet. ;-)

I've got a save in at 9 days, but I'm out of food, tinder, and ammo (something that would never happen IRL :-P). I have been lucky enough to peek my head out of the Homestead every few hours, and spot a deer right out the door. My last few runs on wood have turned up nothing. Not sure I can make it to 10 on this run. With only one save, and being so close... decisions decisions (and I fricken love that about this game)

I've found that timing the sleeping is key. I try to sleep through blizzards/fog/etc, and keep a fire going.

Raph\Alan, you may not be willing to say, but are there certain areas that produce wood better, or is that a consistent variable?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Hinterland

Nice work, Rob. With the current gear distribution of this Sandbox region, I wouldn't expect you to be able to survive much longer than 10 days because of the ceiling you've just hit -- ammunition. Currently ammo will not spawn randomly (in a container, for example), so you get what is in the world. Theoretically if you never miss, and get lucky coming across fresh kill, you might be able to eek out 5-7 days worth of food with the ammo you have in the world, but you would have to be extraordinarily lucky.

There is currently no place where foraging produces more wood. But, there are conditions under which foraging is better/worse. You've probably noticed.

My goal with the sandbox (our goal, I should say) is to ensure there are enough self-replenishing resources that, if you survive long enough and develop the skill, you can extend your life more or less indefinitely provided you don't run afoul of the many, many different ways to die in the game.

A few things that will potentially help with this (planned but I can't promise when they will get in):

- deeper hunting system, with tracking & trapping

- deeper "harvesting" system, for when you dress kill (improve chances of maximizing potential food value)

- more types of wildlife (supports the above); more game that can be hunted/trapped & eaten

- (potentially) ammo crafting

And of course, down the line we'll have NPC survivors in the world which will add another layer of unknowns, but potential resources as well (trade, kill & take their shit, etc.).

Ugh there is not enough time in the day to do all the stuff we want to do. :)

• Hinterland
I've found that timing the sleeping is key. I try to sleep through blizzards/fog/etc, and keep a fire going.

Yes, and maximizing its benefit by ensuring you, for example, don't reduce the Condition gain you get from Rest, because you started getting dehydrated in your sleep. Always drink before Resting if you can!

Also, this is not really exposed to you currently, but different types of beds (or bed locations) will net different benefits in terms of (a) Condition gain per hour of sleep, and (b) the likelihood of being woken up (interrupted sleep).

So...for example...sleeping in a bedroll outside nets you the smallest Condition gain/hr of sleep and the highest likelihood of being interrupted. Rest benefits are modified by uninterrupted hours, so 4 hours of uninterrupted sleeps > 4 x 1 hour naps.

• Hinterland

If you are using a bedroll in a bed, you're getting the benefits of the bedroll, not the bed. :)

We could over-ride this give you whichever is better, which is almost always going to be the thing that isn't a bedroll.

I personally haven't tried this actually. I think we should probably make it impossible to place a bedroll on beds. :)

If you are using a bedroll in a bed, you're getting the benefits of the bedroll, not the bed. :)

We could over-ride this give you whichever is better, which is almost always going to be the thing that isn't a bedroll.

I personally haven't tried this actually. I think we should probably make it impossible to place a bedroll on beds. :)

Ahh I have been using the Bedroll on a bed always, thinking that it gave me extra warmth, Bedroll+Bed Blankets = Warmer Sleep . . . . . How wrong I was.

On that thinking, people other than us, here and now, could also think the same, manifesting in their mind that a "Bedroll" has something to do with a "Bed". Would it be beneficial to change the name of the Bedroll to Swag ?? Swag ~ Wiki

This just got real.

So with v0.1 you could continue to load from a previous save so long as you didn't die in your sleep. But now if you die you start over or go to main menu, and then you can't load from the main menu either.

I had a good start, cached supplies, stocked up, 100% condition and armed. I had a plan, make it from Trappers Homestead to the Tower Outlook. Made it to the Unnamed Pond, grabbed a screenshot of what was to be my downfall, started a thread on how silly it was that a wolf would kill me, and then proceeded to walk directly into my imminent demise.

Now all is lost.

• Hinterland

Sorry about your loss, Ray.

We introduced Permadeath in v.03. The game still saves when you Rest (so you can quit and load) but when you die, you die, and the save is destroyed.

With the longer day, I suspect it may be a while before we see any more 10 day runs. That said, the gameplay impacts of the longer day are still being felt so I could be wrong.

My clothes just fall apart right around day 7 :] I am pretty diligent about keeping everything in good repair but right around day 7 I end up running around chasing deer with no shoes or jacket. But I love the challenge and I am trying to get better at efficiently managing clothing repair.

I love it too! tough was what I was hoping for. indianajonas be patient and try new things, go a different direction, I definitely had a rough few days in the beginning but I started to figure things out. I think the good parts of this game are discovery, self awareness, and problem solving. you'll become a pro before you know it.

Can't. be. done.

[*]Logging camp

[*]Hydro Dam

[*]Lake (& Cabins)

[*]Collapsed Tunnel

[*]Trapper's Homestead

[*]Derailment (now that I have a gun to take care of the two wolves)

[*]Forestry Lookout

[*]Back to the Logging Camp (at this point, it appears that previously visited containers are refreshed)

[*]And now I'm back at the Hydro Dam (7 days, 2 hours, and still alive)

I left out the various minor places. But I'm pretty thorough about hitting up all of the dead corpses/carcasses. I've had two sprained ankles (and various other states of misery) and the lowest condition I got I believe was in the mid-20's.

Will really needs a deck of cards or something to kill time while wait for 60mph blizzards to pass by.[/spoil]

alive.thumb.jpg.47a0c109c4d0361eeefa6dec

Made the mistake of foraging for wood. Was killed immediately upon complete by a wolf. Lasted 7 days 10 hours.

Started anew, and now food poisoning (from 100% cooked venison no less!) has got me down. Trying to reach the Camp Office's medical supply before I die.

My clothes just fall apart right around day 7 :] I am pretty diligent about keeping everything in good repair but right around day 7 I end up running around chasing deer with no shoes or jacket.

Yup, I'm having this problem a lot too. Just keep running out of cloth and things to turn into cloth.

All I have left is my work boots and my gun.

need-water.thumb.jpg.d0c5955c1d2780d628b

blizzard-wont-stop.thumb.jpg.e0da16b4a26

surviving.thumb.jpg.690963a312214b2561ad

Archived