Bulk Eat Cat Tail Stalks

Vertaghost

Having to eat one at a time is really just not that big a nuisance for me.  In general you won't be eating more than 3-5 in a row anyways.  Keeping in mind that how we interact with items is all one system, not segmented to the individual kind of item.  I think the systems is fine the way it is.

• Upvote 1

If we consider the spirit of Hinterland Team and the obvious slow and contemplative mindset of the game, any suggestion which sole purpose is to speed up the game is probably at the bottom of priorities for them, if not totally dismissed.

Also, we can feel through the game that the designer intent is that you need to put a bit of yourself and effort if you expect to survive. I can almost hear Raphael thinking "How can you pretend to survive in my game if doing the same action 5-6 times in a row bother you?!😉

15 hours ago, Nogen said:

If we consider the spirit of Hinterland Team and the obvious slow and contemplative mindset of the game, any suggestion which sole purpose is to speed up the game is probably at the bottom of priorities for them, if not totally dismissed.

If that was the only thing to consider here, I would probably agree. But Hinterland also makes quality-of-life changes from time to time to help people with certain medical conditions, such as for example the CTS. Thus the settings that remove the "hold to activate" feature of the game to help ease the game for people with Carpal tunnel syndrome.

This could, for example, seriously contribute to maintaining the life expectancy of my mouse, if I did not have to click to eat 20 stalks but instead ate it in bulk. And it would certainly be appreciated by people with CTS.

But I feel like the purpose of Cattails is that it is a very lean source of calories, and thus you have to eat a lot of them. This in terms slightly motivates players to look for other food sources compared to this one. At least that is how I see it - I basically never eat Cat tails. I carry a couple on me for emergencies if I need to maintain myself above starving, but othervise I leave them in place so that I know they will be there should I need them.

Its a similar kind of suggestion I made not that long ago with sticks. That sticks would not be placed on the ground as individual items, but instead as a "pile of sticks" or a bundle of sticks, kind of like you can drop individual bullet, or several bullets in a box as a sole item. 

I am indiferent to this suggestion. I can honestly agree with OP in that it would probably benefit some people, but at the same time I would understand the decision not to add it to simulate the fact that cat tails are a lean kind of food (but then again, that in itself is depicted within the game already because you need to collect a lot of them to get the stalks in the first place).

2 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

But I feel like the purpose of Cattails is that it is a very lean source of calories, and thus you have to eat a lot of them. This in terms slightly motivates players to look for other food sources compared to this one. At least that is how I see it - I basically never eat Cat tails. I carry a couple on me for emergencies if I need to maintain myself above starving, but othervise I leave them in place so that I know they will be there should I need them.

Its a similar kind of suggestion I made not that long ago with sticks. That sticks would not be placed on the ground as individual items, but instead as a "pile of sticks" or a bundle of sticks, kind of like you can drop individual bullet, or several bullets in a box as a sole item. 

I am indiferent to this suggestion. I can honestly agree with OP in that it would probably benefit some people, but at the same time I would understand the decision not to add it to simulate the fact that cat tails are a lean kind of food (but then again, that in itself is depicted within the game already because you need to collect a lot of them to get the stalks in the first place).

I agree, cat tail stalks are good for a quick snack if you need to prevent starvation, but there are many more food sources and probably most people use cat tails to keep themselves fed while hunting or fishing (or scavenging) for richer food. A whole meal of cat tails is rather rare.

The ancestral dilemma of stick bundles is rather different. Anyone who picks up sticks for firewood will pile up dozens of them and if you haven't got a suitable container at hand  you'll end up with huge mounds of them on the floor, taking into account that they have a relevant weight and small containers will quickly fill up, and picking up enough of them for a nocturnal campfire is bothersome at best.

If I (and many others, I think) had to choose one "bulk" option to add, stick bundles would triumph.

3 minutes ago, Doc Feral said:

I agree, cat tail stalks are good for a quick snack if you need to prevent starvation, but there are many more food sources and probably most people use cat tails to keep themselves fed while hunting or fishing (or scavenging) for richer food. A whole meal of cat tails is rather rare.

The ancestral dilemma of stick bundles is rather different. Anyone who picks up sticks for firewood will pile up dozens of them and if you haven't got a suitable container at hand  you'll end up with huge mounds of them on the floor, taking into account that they have a relevant weight and small containers will quickly fill up, and picking up enough of them for a nocturnal campfire is bothersome at best.

If I (and many others, I think) had to choose one "bulk" option to add, stick bundles would triumph.

I admit, the sticks are something that I would really love to see in the game, but I don't think its all that different if we have to click 20 times to eat something (and in this case, also have to go through the wait of filling up the circle 20 times in a row) or if one has to click 20 times (or 40 times, I think its a doubleclick to pick up a stick from the ground, right) - in both cases its tedious. I wasnt very clear before, sorry :D - I think they might be tedious on purpose, as a game mechanic - in a way that they would encourage people to try and get the less tedious options if they want to be comfortable. 

Think about it this way - realistically, which would be less tedious "work" - to put a couple of cedar logs into a pot stove, or shove 30 sticks one-by-one inside? I think the "neccesity" of going though it by picking it from the ground one-by-one and putting it into the fire one by one is kind of a game interpretation of this more "tedious" process with the sticks. Which also makes them ideal for "fine-tuning" the fire.

I also think there are many players who, unlike us, don't try to conserve limited resources in the game, and would munch down a full stomach worth of cattails. Comes down to personalized way to play the game :D 

3 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

If that was the only thing to consider here, I would probably agree. But Hinterland also makes quality-of-life changes from time to time to help people with certain medical conditions, such as for example the CTS. Thus the settings that remove the "hold to activate" feature of the game to help ease the game for people with Carpal tunnel syndrome.

Agreed. But I don't think that bulk cat tail eating has anything else to offer than speeding the game. I don't think it could fit in the quality-of-life category.

22 minutes ago, Nogen said:

Agreed. But I don't think that bulk cat tail eating has anything else to offer than speeding the game. I don't think it could fit in the quality-of-life category.

I think people with CTS would disagree with you there. :) in having to click once, or twice, instead of 20 times. :D 

Also, what is "speeding up the game" mean anyway in TLD? This is one of few games where "the time progress" can be incredibly varied. You can play for 3 hours and make progress in-game by 50 days... or you can play for many hours over the course of three real days, and still be just at day 50 of your survival, because you have decided to do a lot of looting and exploring while moving around the Great bear, instead of taking it easy in some base.

My point is - in TLD, I dont see a point to rush things. In fact, Id say rushing to do things makes people appreciate the game less, which contributes to that boredom most players end up feeling after a while. :)

Although I dont argue against this suggestion - I see no point why the game shouldn't allow selecting to eat 10 tails together, and just put them into one circle, which if interrupted, would simply remove respective amount of cattails from inventory, and would advance the time just as much as an equal amount of individually eaten cattails would (if food even affects time).