Arrow Recovery Issue

Patrick_

First of all, thanks Hinterland for updating Survival. Love your game, you're awesome!

I want to echo another poster about lost arrows (with deer, didn't try wolves yet). When I miss or the arrow breaks, I seem to recover it (3/3), but when it hits (lvl 5 - critical hit, instant death) in previous builds (1.47) the arrow would be lodged in the carcass and I would always be able to recover (recovered ~29/30), now I generally fail to recover (recovered ~1/6).

Even when the arrow was under in 1.47, I would either recover the arrow by carefully inspecting the carcass crouched or recover when the carcass despawns. Neither works anymore. Even if the carcass falls on the other side (falls left) with the arrow supposedly lodged on the right side of the neck, well 5/6 times the arrow is gone now. Couldn't find it anywhere.

So I'll stop hunting until next update. Loosing arrows is way too precious. At day 210.

Regards

Pat

Edit: I've attached images that may give a hint. In trying to repro for the bug report, I ended up with a floating arrow.

78764495_screen_(1193471474)_a4081b25-0ad7-46c4-b493-c959cdbc3fab.thumb.png.a573de55ceb2bf9ff0bd4aaff9f5010f.png

screen_(1191, 47, 1476)_053d931e-b941-4ef5-907b-2540bcdcb38b.png

Player.log

Edited by Patrick_
removed extra images
  • Upvote 2

Split this into an entirely new thread and moved to the Technical Issues forum.

Please post things here or contact us at thelongdark.com/support rather than putting bug reports in long-running discussion threads where they're likely to be missed.

4 hours ago, shade_grey said:

I'm experiencing this same issue. Arrows that hit ice often disappear. Arrows that bounce off of wolves often disappear. Arrows that break as a wolf dies to a crit often disappear.

Yes they do, I was hoping I wasn't just imagining things but I'm down 6 arrows now. I learn slowly.

I believe I read somewhere that when they do ricochet off of a horizontal surface, they can skip up to something like 15 meters from where you saw them impact... that's a pretty considerable distance.  Is it possible that some of those lost arrows may have just skipped farther than your search radius? 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

I believe I read somewhere that when they do ricochet off of a horizontal surface, they can skip up to something like 15 meters from where you saw them impact... that's a pretty considerable distance.  Is it possible that some of those lost arrows may have just skipped farther than your search radius? 

In my case, no it's not possible.  I looked very thoroughly as far as any arrow could have possibly skipped after killing.  Most of my test shots were kills on rabbits in the snowy bowl-shaped terrain near the Trappers Cabin and the Unnamed Pond.  An arrow simply can't skip very far in that sort of bowl.   My best guess says they are disappearing under the snow.  I've also seen a couple of Youtubers lose arrows in the same way.

2 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Fair enough, I was just throwing out ideas.  :) 

No worries, I understand that.  I've been deliberately testing this since I saw it happen on Youtube.  I'm not sure what Hinterlands will or can do about it though.