The Long Dark Hotfixed to V1.50 [48029]

Admin

I managed to find a revolver just before this update.  I liked that I really did have to search far and wide for it.  It made finding it so much more satisfying.  I was originally just going to do a death march up Timber Wolf Mountain (as I had started a new survival run just before Steadfast Ranger dropped) so I could just restart a new run post update.  However, since I've found most of the new content... I guess I'll see this one to the bitter end and try for "The Will to Live.

So far, I haven't any issues with sprains since it got retuned (I've taken some pretty risky routes and fallen off a rope once - I've been surprisingly lucky).  I've only found one revolver so I don't know if the tuning for the spawns will only come into play when I do finally start a new run (I mean I only need one anyway :) ).  So far, the rifle aim has been dead on for me... though I will admit I've not yet taken any longshots.  That will come in the days ahead though, I'm sure of it.

All in all I think Steadfast Ranger is shaping up as an excellent update to an already excellent game.  Thank you.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I will say after the hotfix, aiming with the rifle seems more precise, it feels "right" now. Haven't played with the bow yet, or the revolver, since I have been doing short throw-away runs to test things out. Started a new Stalker run last night, and I'll make it a long run attempt, to really test things more thoroughly. Chose Coastal Highway to start on, and am curing a maple sapling and deer guts to craft one as soon as I can. Now I just need arrows, lol. Didn't have an issues with sprains before, haven't had any in my first 5 days in this new run, even though I took the steep slope path down from the tucked away trailer to the Log Sort. Slope warning most of the way down, crouching as I went may have helped?

Anywho... thanks for getting hotfixes out so quickly on Steam, haven't checked XBox One yet to see if it has dropped there yet. Changelogs did not have any optimization noted, but oddly, perf seems to be better as far as better fps and fewer RNG hitches. Coincidence, I am sure, but... I'll thank you for that too. My old toaster rig thanks you too. :)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Spawn in on Stalker, and have only matches[...]It is about being able to get somewhere to find them, first.

So, would you say Interloper is broken just because you can't make a fire right away ? (rhetorical question)... And yes, we can agree the game would be much less of a 'chore' if we just removed the wolves entirely, no problem on day1 , day2, day 54...

Stalker, where I am not the hunter, I am the hunted,

Oh come on, you feel hunted with a 100% chance tactic to scare a wolf off? I feel hunted when I have to fight wolves with only stones, but why not, I can understand your point.

If you want more role-playing

Never said that... you completely missed my point. We're talking gameplay mechanics in a survival game here.

I would not insist on a major change to the game that forced everyone to climb  everything without any ropes.

First, I did not insist on anything. Again, what you've understood is not what I wrote. They devs make their game, period. Second, I don't nearly get how the comparison works, we're talking survival here (where how to scare a wolf is a relevant matter), not a climbing game.

The good parallel would be you buy a climbing game, cause you like hard climbing challenges, but the game has a mechanic that prevent you from falling if you make a mistake, say some kind of parachute. You explain on the forums you feel strange about this mechanic and you wouldn't mind if some change was made to it, and then I'm trolling you saying "hey Lady, I like this feature OK? For gameplay reason, I want to be able to make mistake but not pay the price by falling and having to restart from ground. If you don't like the parachute, don't use it". And then 2 posts later I add "don't try to force you opinions on me, we're both equal, please stop being mean"...

Again, you have an idea. I do not like it, I would not upvote it. Others may choose differently. But my vote is "No.", no matter how you try to make your idea sound "appealing". To me, it is unappealing. And would honestly make me stop playing if I was forced to play it that way. We can agree to disagree. But please, don't try to tel me your opinion is better than mine, They are both equal.

Good point is, I never tried to convince you. Or anyone for that matter. I believe people are grown-ups and make their own decision. I just present my arguments. Totally different approach. I asked @ManicManiac about stones using a joking tone, and you stepped in without all your seriousness, judging me ('this would be too realistic') and answering something that was not even asked in the first place. Using a victim vocabulary (you are 'forced', I try to 'tell you my opinion is better') doesn't change anything to the fact that you are wrong about my intentions. I don't try to 'force my opinion' on anyone. I just expressed it and for whatever reason you felt compelled to talk about you and yourself.

Both our opinions are equal, we agree on that. They don't matter at all in the end.

Edited by BareSkin
  • Like 1

At this point if you are not commenting on the v1.50 Hotfix please do not post in this thread.

These threads are for people to talk about the updates and Hotfixes, not to debate game design choices. If you want to have a design discussion please feel free to start a thread on that topic elsewhere on the forums. However, given that we've now gone over this territory please also consider if there's anything more to contribute constructively on the topic.

• Upvote 2

So after 1.50, I got into a struggle. And afterwards my character couldn't look up or down. After entering a building, it only got worse as I could no longer turn. I started a new game and within 30 seconds, it happened again. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling, so hopefully it works. But just a heads up if anyone else experiences this. I'm on PS4 and it happened outside Carter Hydro in the gated area. Also, since when did wolves spawn in there?! Haha

I was at mystery lake and shot the bear with the pistol on the rock above the lone cabin he ran off above the rope climb by lake trail I chaised him up couldn’t find him stayed and made water and maybe slept went back to the lone cabin and he was there slept in cabin til morning because of blizzard then shot a bow Close right behind his head he paused I never found my arrow And ran toward the middle of the lake slowed down at the edge I approached shot again kinda low but I think I hit (never found arrow again )he ran away and I shot him with the pistol he attacked me i shot him again and got the rifle out shot 1 and thought I had the 2nd shot but didn’t and got attacked again then I shot him with the bow he ran away I went in the cabin and went to bed morning my loss of rabbit hat and gloves ruined and my other hat ruined. Bear cloak -20% to 68% deer pants and boots at 30% and 15 % from 80ish..  woke up with him dead no arrow and my bow was visible at the start of this game several days ago but went invisible at day 15ish now day 41 and only now having arrow problems killed 3 wolves eating only lost one arrow then (more acceptable) lol Xbox 1

Edited by Hardend_bearlvl

I'm on Xbox One in the UK. My game is updated to 1.48 with no sign of 1.49 or 1.50 but I seem to have at least one change associated with 1.49 - the exclamation mark on the slope indicator is not there.

Any idea what's going on ?

No sign so far of Update 1.50 on my Xbox One (Alberta, Canada), but since I'm pretty sure nothing has been changed in this area since 1.48, I'm posting this here.  I'm seeing a lot of "stuck" running animals (i.e. animals running in place against an invisible wall) and animals that also look like they're running forward but are moving straight sideways (as if being blown by a wind, but the wind isn't coming from right direction to be the cause).  I never noticed any of this sort of problem with them before 1.48.

17 minutes ago, Admin said:

Thank you. That means it should be global soon.

I've exited and checked again just now... still nothing here.  I'll continue to keep checking.

ETA:  14 mins later - It's updating now.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Just sharing a couple issues I encountered last week prior to the hotfix. These issues weren't stated as being addressed by the hotfix, but they are resolved anyway.

1: The bow's model went missing while wielding it.  It appeared normally in the inventory, and on the ground, and it could be fired normally.  The arrow even appeared, but the character's left hand was empty.  As of today, the bow looks fine.

2: The short rope climb in the HRV ice cave with the waterfall was bugged.  Upon reaching the top of the rope, the character would not be on the ledge, but rather stuck to the side of it.  I could safely drop down, but could not reach the top of the climb no matter how many times I attempted it.

These were reported, Hinterland Support responded, and I replied a few minutes ago letting them know the issue resolved itself.  Posting here in case anyone had similar experiences.

Edited by ajb1978
Attaching video examples
  • Upvote 2

I don't think your raycasts are working the way you intend them to work.  They are always straight out of the camera to the center of the screen.  

The sights don't change what gets hit at all.  Even when the sights start to pull down and point at the ground.  

I think you wanted to project a line out from the rear sight through the sight post.  Which would be challenging.  It would create lots of variability.  But that's not what is happening.  The shots go dead straight exactly where the camera is looking, regardless of what the gun animation is doing at the time.

I am wondering about the strain system and the well-fed upgrade. Are they playing as intended together? When I run the well fed and the extra weight, I get too many strains. I really consider still the consecutive sprains as excessive now that I have learned the new cues imo.

But, I started a starvation run because the random gods were angry and I have very few sprains. Now I have learned a bit more about avoiding sprains I admit but I just descended down a very steep mountain at high speed and about 65 lb with no sprains. It was cold, late but I knew where I was going so I just flew down the hill from the cave above the camp to the camp office in ML. No Sprain.

Now when I'm well fed but just under being encumbered I still got rapid sprains in much milder descent. This leads me to wonder If the sprain system is taking the well-fed bonus into account and if it is not doing so, Is that by design or something that needs to be looked into?

Another thought has to do with consecutive sprains and the random generator. It seems if random generates a negative outcome flag, that when it looks at things that can go wrong randomly, it is using the same flag. I think it would be better if the random "you are doomed" flag is set, that before it checks for the next random dependent event, It should generate a new random flag.

right now it feels like the flag is global

1. generate random
  2. if doom set flag
    1. check random dependent mishaps
      1. check ankle
      2. check wrist
      3. check wolf 1
      4. check wolf 2
      5. check bear
  3. Set all to doom

Instead, I think it should generate a new random anytime it sets one occurrence

1. generate random
    1. check ankle conditions
      1. if exceeded set sprain
  2. generate random
    1. check wrist condition
      1. if exceeded set sprain
  3. generate random
    1. check map location
      1. if location spawn wolf
  4. etc

Forgive pseudo code, I'm not a coder just trying to communicate something that feels wrong in consecutive mishaps

• Hinterland
On 5/16/2019 at 8:22 PM, ajb1978 said:

Just sharing a couple issues I encountered last week prior to the hotfix. These issues weren't stated as being addressed by the hotfix, but they are resolved anyway.

1: The bow's model went missing while wielding it.  It appeared normally in the inventory, and on the ground, and it could be fired normally.  The arrow even appeared, but the character's left hand was empty.  As of today, the bow looks fine.

2: The short rope climb in the HRV ice cave with the waterfall was bugged.  Upon reaching the top of the rope, the character would not be on the ledge, but rather stuck to the side of it.  I could safely drop down, but could not reach the top of the climb no matter how many times I attempted it.

These were reported, Hinterland Support responded, and I replied a few minutes ago letting them know the issue resolved itself.  Posting here in case anyone had similar experiences.

The second issue was addressed in the original release of STEADFAST RANGER, which is why it wasn't mentioned in the latest hotfix release notes. :) 

• Upvote 1

• Hinterland
6 hours ago, Hawk said:

Just a quick update on this.

I contacted GOG support and asked them about the 1.49 and 1.50 patches and here was the reply I received today - May 20:

Can't speak 100% to which version GoG is updated to as the team is on holiday today -- I'm pretty sure they have 1.49. 1.50 might be on the way.

In general GoG is a lower priority platform for us (due to very small player base and their generally slow update speed -- it often takes days between when we submit our hotfixes and then they get released). And, because they are much slower to update the game when we send them hotfixes, we sometimes bundle more than one together. In general, when we are in a post-update hotfixing cycle where we might release a hotfix every day or two, we prioritize the platforms we can update the fastest which are: Steam, Xbox, and PS4.

GoG will get caught up eventually!