Long blizzard in game event.

Seshins

I wondered what kind of interest there would be for a long blizzard event.

This would occur (randomly?) or with a % chance of occurring every say 150 days. Obviously cabin fever would have to be nerfed when the actual event takes place, but it could itself be an interesting test for those players who like to build bases and stockpile supplies. I deliberately set myself up in PV as it has the longest blizzards, but even the standard in-game ones rarely rage for a day or two.

There could also be a temperature penalty to discourage venturing out for more fire wood or food, and i don't know how nomadic players would find it but it could add to the atmosphere and challenge and of course, it could be picked as an option under custom settings.

I feel for the long term game-play aspect it would add another reason to put wood in, meat, water etc.

Thoughts?

I've thought this would be a great idea for a long time. However, it couldn't go into any of the existing game modes; it'd be way too disruptive for that. It would also require something like a harbinger in the weather to tell you that something big is on the way; something like a slowly growing cloud formation bulking from some heading for a at least a few days before it arrives to allow players to get stuff laid up for the long wait.

It'd be totally cool to have it drop indoor temps by say five degrees or so while it was on, and have it last from 3-7 days as a full on blizzard. Possibly even have the frequency go up the further you go into the deep game (say after 150 days), so it starts at 1/150, after three hundred days it goes to 1/125, after 550 it goes to 1/100, after 750 it goes to 1/75, and so on. Run it out long enough and eventually you will have them back to back. Call it "New Ice Age" mode or something.

Edited by stratvox
clarification of time series
  • Upvote 1

I would like to have longer lasting weather conditions in general (as an option in custom mode). So yeah, you might enjoy 3 days of clear sky but then the next 2 days feature heavy fog and then a blizzard starts raging for 3 days and so on. Would be kinda interesting to try out in an actual custom mode sandbox and since this option kinda exists as the "weather variability" parameter already it wouldn't even have to be done from scratch (Just adding a "very low" parameter or something similar)... And those who dislike this option won't use it anyways!

There are several settings in custom that you can use to length blizzard activity.  Select your starting weather to "blizzard" and any weather variability settings to "low."  Set blizzard frequency as high as it will go.  Set the world to get colder over time.  Voila - persistent worsening blizzard.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:15 AM, LilWolf said:

There's already a challenge for that. Personally I wouldn't like it in sandbox, I prefer to move freely around the world, that's my opinion.

Last time I played the challenge it ends right when the blizzard was about to start and I was a little disappointed. Have they changed that now?

5 hours ago, justyr1 said:

Last time I played the challenge it ends right when the blizzard was about to start

You could always chose to just subsist until the big one hits, and then after it starts go on your scavenger hunt.  :D That's what I did.

• Upvote 1

On 5/14/2019 at 7:07 PM, stratvox said:

I've thought this would be a great idea for a long time. However, it couldn't go into any of the existing game modes; it'd be way too disruptive for that. It would also require something like a harbinger in the weather to tell you that something big is on the way; something like a slowly growing cloud formation bulking from some heading for a at least a few days before it arrives to allow players to get stuff laid up for the long wait.

It'd be totally cool to have it drop indoor temps by say five degrees or so while it was on, and have it last from 3-7 days as a full on blizzard. Possibly even have the frequency go up the further you go into the deep game (say after 150 days), so it starts at 1/150, after three hundred days it goes to 1/125, after 550 it goes to 1/100, after 750 it goes to 1/75, and so on. Run it out long enough and eventually you will have them back to back. Call it "New Ice Age" mode or something.

That sounds really interesting. And yes, there would need to be some indication that a long-lasting blizzard is on its way. Otherwise, the risk of being hit unprepared would be too great. Even if you have stashed away enough resources to make it through a long blizzard, you might still be caught while travelling around somewhere else, and that would be it. But 'events' in the sandbox could be cool - there could be an automatic 'story writer' like it is advertised for Rimworld. In other words, the game could make a string of special events which would then occur in a sandbox game (like a long blizzard, or a big bad bear stalking you (like in the challenge), or a message from another survivor forcing you to race across the maps to another location in only a couple of days).