peteloud

Improve bearskin bedroll

In games lasting hundreds of game days I have found that all the bedrolls I find are ruined. This forced me into making and using bearskin bedrolls.  These seemed to deteriorate faster than standard bedrolls. When attacked a wolf or bear sometimes I would find that my bearskin bedroll was destroyed.

I wish bearskin bedrolls deteriorated more slowly then standard bedrolls and were tougher and took less damages in wolf and bear attacks.

• Upvote 2

If you go take a look at https://thelongdark.fandom.com/wiki/Decay you'll find that bearskin bedrolls decay more slowly than cloth bedrolls. It's important that you pick up the bedroll when you're done sleeping, even if you drop it right away. Leaving it rolled out results in a decay of 0.1%/hr, not 0.2%/day, which results in 2.4%/day decay. No matter what kind of bedroll you have, always pick it up when you wake up to minimise decay rates.

Both kinds of bedrolls can take damage from wildlife struggles. It's a low probability but it's not zero. Some days, you're the windshield... some days, you're the bug.

• Upvote 1

Also, if you're finding ruined bedrolls (depending upon setting), you may wish to consider doing "quick run-throughs" on new games: when starting a new game, hit the areas known to contain better/more loot and quickly move through the area doing so.  Move on the next area doing the same thing creating stashes along the way.  Once you've "swept" all the zones, you can take a more relaxed stance.

I suppose I'd kind of like to see the bear bedroll be more durable... considering it's made of bearskin and fur as opposed to just cloth.  From a gameplay standpoint I suppose I understand why it is the way it is presently (it's warmer and made of a harder resource to come by - compared to cloth I mean), but also considering this I feel it perhaps should  be more durable than it presently is.

• Upvote 1

The replies made me wonder how many types and rates of deterioration of bedroll are there?

Are these different modes/rates of deterioration,

* rolled up in building,

* rolled up outside,

* unrolled, outside and inside,

* when being slept in,

* deterioration when attacked by an animal.

If there are multiple rates of deterioration are they the same standard bedroll and bearskin bedroll.

As I wrote this it crossed my mind that it would be good to have a wolf-skin or deerskin bedroll, somewhere between standard and bear, warmer, heavier and stronger than the standard but less than bearskin. It would use up part of the mountain of pelts we all collect.  I presume that it would be easy to add to the game with almost identical game mechanics to the bearskin bedroll.