Non potable water in toilets

Moll

I think  water from toilet should require purification tablets or boiling. Find potable water in long deserted areas, is not very realistic. Especially in toilets.

It brings more challenge.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Moll said:

I think  water from toilet should require purification tablets or boiling. Find potable water in long deserted areas, is not very realistic. Especially in toilets.

It brings more challenge.

The water in toilets is potable in the game so that at least there is a source of drinking water if the player has not yet found matches or a tin can in which to melt snow or boil water (since the player starts with neither convenience in Interloper mode).  I'd hate to see them change it.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, stapeliad said:

Actually it is potable irl. It either would come from a well (potable) or town/city water which is also potable.
Even though it's gross, it doesn't have parasites in it.

See, I would think it would depend if you, hopefully, got it from the cistern. Or, if youre getting it from the bowl, whether or not the former occupant, in their haste to vacate, left you a present or not.

I dunno, but if you dissasemble water tank feeding bowl when flushing, you find mold and other nasty stuff. I would never drink that without boiling. 

Its basically like melted snow ingame. Maybe a much worse, because steady old water is a heaven for bacterias.

Edited by Moll

17 hours ago, Grignard_TN said:

See, I would think it would depend if you, hopefully, got it from the cistern. Or, if youre getting it from the bowl, whether or not the former occupant, in their haste to vacate, left you a present or not.

oh

I never once thought one would be getting it from the cistern

I guess I wouldn't survive very well lmao 

But genuinely I would never drink toilet water without boiling it, even a fairly clean toilet is still a toilet...

I've thought about this also and agree it should need purification.  I'm guessing many residents didn't clean their toilets before they left and despite fresh water being in the bowl initially, after time, bacteria will take hold (especially if there are any "residuals" 🥖 in the bowl!)

Guest kristaok

Them TLD toilets most have been ultra clean or never been used to be potable like they are lol. :D 

I would actually prefer more toilets spread out around the maps. For example, a place like the Camp Office in Mystery Lake should really have a toilet. And a few other places too. Some more toilets would be great...and holding less water maybe to balance it out. 

• Upvote 2

Make it so it requires purification, but then add a mandatory spawn of purification boxes of purification tablets in all bathrooms with toilets.  Challenge is neither increased nor decreased, although the player would possibly wind up with a larger collection of purification tablets since tablets purify 1L of water and toilets generally hold between 1-2L of water., not 4L.  If they don't have matches and had not found tablets before finding the toilet, they wouldn't be stuck but could simply use the tablets found near the toilet itself.

6 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Can't hurt to ask though, right?

It never hurts to ask.  The wish lists are precisely the place for players to brainstorm, discuss ideas, and see if the Team is interested in any of them.  I recall a long while back a thread suggesting something like birch bark tea... and now we have it.  So, by all means toss your ideas into the ring.  :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Jokes beside, I doubt that realistically, you would find drinkable water in the toilet, even in the cistern behind it. It doesnt matter how clean the toilet was kept, even if it was brand-new when it was installed. When you dont use toilet for a long time, the water in the cistern is stagnant. But the cistern is not hermetically sealed, at least I have never seen a toilet that would have a cistern like that. Any body of water that is stagnant for a period of time and in a non-sealed container will eventually become a home to cyanobacteria, those tiny "single-cell plant predecessors". Those create at first clear "cover" over the water´s surface, then in time green. You dont need to use your toilet for a couple of hours for them to start spreading - in fact I think the green stuff you would find inside of the cistern on the walls would be this cyanobacteria. Well, those (at least here in Europe) produce toxins. And bacteria which feeds off cyanobacteria would then start spreading in there too.

The chlorine as a reagent in water wouldnt have helped because overtime, the chlorine bound in water evaporates, even if the tap water was treated by chlorine, it would eventually dissapear out of this water.

However, bleach might not. Water mixed with a very small, non toxic amount of bleach is a survival trick that helps keep the water potable, or even treat it if other conventional methods cant be used. has to trully be a very small amount since drinking bleach is poisonous. But the chemicals in it are antibacterial and should prevent the bacteria from taking hold.

So perhaps the water in toilets was treated by bleach? :D Just for the sake of realistic argument.

Naturally, this is the time where i would point out this is a game, not a realism simulator, the water from toilets is potable because it makes for a ready-to-drink water source in some locations if you cant afford to make a fire. :D 

16 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

Jokes beside, I doubt that realistically, you would find drinkable water in the toilet, even in the cistern behind it. It doesnt matter how clean the toilet was kept, even if it was brand-new when it was installed. When you dont use toilet for a long time, the water in the cistern is stagnant. But the cistern is not hermetically sealed, at least I have never seen a toilet that would have a cistern like that. Any body of water that is stagnant for a period of time and in a non-sealed container will eventually become a home to cyanobacteria, those tiny "single-cell plant predecessors". Those create at first clear "cover" over the water´s surface, then in time green. You dont need to use your toilet for a couple of hours for them to start spreading - in fact I think the green stuff you would find inside of the cistern on the walls would be this cyanobacteria. Well, those (at least here in Europe) produce toxins. And bacteria which feeds off cyanobacteria would then start spreading in there too.

The chlorine as a reagent in water wouldnt have helped because overtime, the chlorine bound in water evaporates, even if the tap water was treated by chlorine, it would eventually dissapear out of this water.

However, bleach might not. Water mixed with a very small, non toxic amount of bleach is a survival trick that helps keep the water potable, or even treat it if other conventional methods cant be used. has to trully be a very small amount since drinking bleach is poisonous. But the chemicals in it are antibacterial and should prevent the bacteria from taking hold.

So perhaps the water in toilets was treated by bleach? :D Just for the sake of realistic argument.

Naturally, this is the time where i would point out this is a game, not a realism simulator, the water from toilets is potable because it makes for a ready-to-drink water source in some locations if you cant afford to make a fire. :D 

That's why I suggested above that they make the change in such a way that the player will always find purification tablets in a washroom that has a toilet.  The level of challenge in the game would be no different than finding purified water already in the toilet... and those with more detailed RPG "realism" desires can be pacified.

Maybe you can start with liter of clean water. As your emergemency backup before you get a tablets or ability to boil a water. And also spread more water bottles in world.

Puridication tablets are redundant now, nobody needs them because there is alway source of potable water.

Edited by Moll

@Moll
I don't think they are redundant at all (at least not in the way you mean)... they have their use.  As I mentioned in another thread:

I tend to use the water purification tablets when I want to have a quick stockpile of water, or in an emergency when I don't have much fire wood with me.  I also tend to use them fairly early in a run for both of those reasons.  They are useful for getting potable water a little faster (in terms of game time).

True, it's not difficult in the game to boil water... but I would say the advantage of the tables is time - both in prep and fire time.  You can either get the same amount of water in half the time... or double the amount of water in the same amount of time it would normally take you to prepare half as much.  :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

I always wondered if this story played any part in us getting potable water from toilets:

https://www.macleans.ca/news/b-c-man-survives-stroke-by-drinking-toilet-water-for-a-week/

Honestly, I always think more about all of the dust and particulate debris we see floating in the air inside most buildings, and why we don't need to use cloth to filter the sediments out of the water. Though, I suppose it could be considered as "dietary fiber", so it might actually be healthy. ;)

Sure enough according to USEPA cyanobacteria can potentially produce harmful toxins. I did not know that and I really should have given my work experience.

I'd still risk it if I needed water badly enough. Green algae or not it shouldn't have feces in it, which is ultimately why untreated water is dangerous.

Just for realism purposes, I never get water from the toilets without a cistern in the game. From a gameplay perspective I don't see why you wouldn't wanna think about making the water from those toilets non-potable, while those with a cistern still give potable water.