vta4ever

I understand that they are challenging to make and take away from developing gameplay things and mechanics, I would love to see some more maps with more variety. I think hushed river valley was a step in the right direction when it comes to mapping variety, but I would love to see some maps with centerpieces, atmosphere, and wildlife being built around human infrastructures, like an oil pipeline or an airfield. it would also be interesting to make a map creator and let players make their own map, but that would be labor intesive for everybody, including the devs which have enough to do already. what do you guys think?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ProsPex said:

It's so exciting the first time exploring a region. The "awe factor". Can't wait till there are more :-)

This.  I remember how exciting it was when TWM and HRV were released.  I had a well-established character but trying to figure out what I should carry to explore an unknown area was exhilarating!

• Upvote 1

I have been having this thought in my head. A randomized region, build up by say 9x9 big pieces of premade landmasses. The region would be randomly generated each time you walked into it. But with some familiarity in form of the landmasses.

Iam not sure it makes sense except in my brain.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lesno said:

I have been having this thought in my head. A randomized region, build up by say 9x9 big pieces of premade landmasses. The region would be randomly generated each time you walked into it. But with some familiarity in form of the landmasses.

Iam not sure it makes sense except in my brain.

It makes perfect sense, in theory. Randomized maps are an utopic dream of many players, including me. As for myself, I once suggested the idea of a hex-based map (Battletech style) with each tile having "stats" for possible loot, hostile or harmless animals, shelter and so on, including "landmarks" such as iconic buildings, so the whole map would end up being "balanced" by an overall value. You wouldn't find a map covered by an endless flat orchard nor a metropolis. Wonderful, right? The only problem is that, unlike what happens in tabletop games, hex sides  are not flat cardboard and need to be properly connected, which would probably be quite demanding for the devs.

Edited by Doc Feral
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lesno said:

. . .  A randomized region,  . . . .

That would be a great development.  I have found that going into completely virgin territory is the greatest challenge of all, and it gets the Adrenalin flowing.  It can be scary, even for players who are very familiar with existing territories.

However, I suspect that would require a great of work by the development team and might not be cost effective for Hinterland.