SethmoJaeger

Would anyone here be interested in a Long Dark Tabletop RPG?

Hey everyone! I'm SethmoJaeger, a new face to the forums but not a new face to TLD. I love this game. It's the best survival game I've ever played! I also love Tabletop RPGs like D&D. That got me thinking...Would it be possible to blend the two, and would anyone even want to play it?

This would be a passion project that would be completely free for y'all to use. I don't want to make money off of Hinterland's success. So, what do you think?

• Upvote 2

Confused. Are you talking a specific new game mechanic, a new rule set, or just using d20 as the core and adding on the lore. If so, what sort of world building are you talking about?

I like, play and made RPGs and boardgames about everything, but TLD would only be suitable as a solitaire game with resource management and some event cards. The kind of idea even I think is better off as a videogame.

• Upvote 1

I think it would be a great idea to have a tabletop game, though I don't know if an RPG would be the best approach. In the late 70's ( I believe ) my parents had an Avalon Hill bookcase game called, appropriately enough, Outdoor Survival. I don't know if I could put it in a genre, but it was played on a hex board with tokens representing the player. There were various rules about acquiring food and water, and there were different scenarios like move from one side of the board to the other, visiting certain locations on the map, catching a fugitive, etc. Wasn't a bad game at all.

• Upvote 1

But then again , if I wanted to roleplay something like TLD I'd use some low low low power and merilessly mercilessly mercilessly unforgiving system (did I mention low power and merciless unforgivingness?) such as Call of Cthulhu, so the poor characters would have a hard time surviving before meeting their doom on the sharp horn of Gnoph-keh, the hairy myth-thing of the Greenland ice, that walked sometimes on two legs, sometimes on four, and sometimes on six.