Can The Revolver Take Down A Wolf?

Guest Kane Parry

Guest Kane Parry

I juts wanted to know if the new revolver can take down a wolf because I shot a wolf with it and it looked like it did good damage I was just wondering as on the update diary it says it only scares away wolves 

I have scored a crit hit on a wolf with the revolver.  I have also scored a few hits that were sufficient to cause the wolf to eventually bleed out and die (denoted by the fact that the wolf leaves a blood trail in the snow rather than just seeing blood spatter when the wolf is first shot).  The most common of course is there to be blood spatter when shot but no trail left in the snow, which indicates that the wolf was wounded but will recover from the injury or a total miss where the wolf will merely scare at the sound of the shot.

Guest Kane Parry
1 minute ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I have scored a crit hit on a wolf with the revolver.  I have also scored a few hits that were sufficient to cause the wolf to eventually bleed out and die (denoted by the fact that the wolf leaves a blood trail in the snow rather than just seeing blood spatter when the wolf is first shot).  The most common of course is there to be blood spatter when shot but no trail left in the snow, which indicates that the wolf was wounded but will recover from the injury or a total miss where the wolf will merely scare at the sound of the shot

I have done the same but I think it did survive as after following the blood trail I couldn't find any body at all 

10 minutes ago, Kane Parry said:

I have done the same but I think it did survive as after following the blood trail I couldn't find any body at all 

If you get a blood trail, the animal should eventually bleed out and die... unless you go inside (triggering a load screen) before it dies, in which case there is a chance it will reset.  I have only had a couple of occurrences where an animal leaving a blood trail did not get recorded as a kill in my journal.  One of was bear just last week and, in that case, I did go inside to sleep and am quite certain that is when the animal reset (which is a bug in the game).  The other was another bear last year when I did the same thing - went inside to sleep and the animal reset.

I have failed to find several corpses of various animals, but the kill count in my journal has always recorded a kill whenever a blood trail was left (except for the two cases I mentioned above)  The blood trail usually stops some time before the animal drops as it slows to a walk.  It can continue to walk without bleeding in any direction and for quite some time (particularly with a bear)..  I often find corpses where I did not really expect them to be.  Listening for crows helps.

Edited by UpUpAway95

Guest Kane Parry
48 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

If you get a blood trail, the animal should eventually bleed out and die... unless you go inside (triggering a load screen) before it dies, in which case there is a chance it will reset.  I have only had a couple of occurrences where an animal leaving a blood trail did not get recorded as a kill in my journal.  One of was bear just last week and, in that case, I did go inside to sleep and am quite certain that is when the animal reset (which is a bug in the game).  The other was another bear last year when I did the same thing - went inside to sleep and the animal reset.

I have failed to find several corpses of various animals, but the kill count in my journal has always recorded a kill whenever a blood trail was left (except for the two cases I mentioned above)  The blood trail usually stops some time before the animal drops as it slows to a walk.  It can continue to walk without bleeding in any direction and for quite some time (particularly with a bear)..  I often find corpses where I did not really expect them to be.  Listening for crows helps.

Thanks for answering my question :)

On Pilgrim I took out wolves easy peasy, and I managed to take down a bear, though I got mauled in the process. I'm decent at FPS though, so for others it may not be a viable option. On voyageur I managed to take down a wolf but I got tired of following it so I put it down with another shot.

Guest Kane Parry
1 hour ago, Grignard_TN said:

On Pilgrim I took out wolves easy peasy, and I managed to take down a bear, though I got mauled in the process. I'm decent at FPS though, so for others it may not be a viable option. On voyageur I managed to take down a wolf but I got tired of following it so I put it down with another shot

It may be cause I am playing a stalker survival or I am just a bad shot :D

Guest Kane Parry
2 hours ago, stapeliad said:

Yes it can take out a wolf and a deer, but not as reliably as the rifle will. 
Usually it just injures, and often doesn't do anything at all, not even scare the wolf away even at close range.  :/

Agreed I was just asking as I didn't have a rifle and I'm on the stalker difficulty :D

Guest Kane Parry
34 minutes ago, stapeliad said:

I'm also playing on Stalker... the revolver works sometimes but usually just injures or does nothing, even at close range with good aim.

I think it is just for a last resort if you don't have a flare or rifle 

Revolver can kill rabbits, wolves, deers, bears and so probably moose (but not sure, it has to be a critical shot, I have yet to test it). Your skill level is important, more than the difficulty you play on.

Guest Kane Parry
8 minutes ago, Thanos said:

I also a wolf in one shot today, i probably did a crit or a headshot or both. It was during the wolf charge at blank point.

Awesome 😮

• 4 months later...
On 5/13/2019 at 8:51 AM, Kane Parry said:

I juts wanted to know if the new revolver can take down a wolf because I shot a wolf with it and it looked like it did good damage I was just wondering as on the update diary it says it only scares away wolves 

yes it can! i killed a wolf with a revolver but personally i would wait until you have a rifle. it took me 5 shots and around 30 minutes to kill.

The revolver was my go-to for taking out wolves on Desolation Point in my last run... it was surprisingly consistent, each head shot dropped the wolf straight away.  12 rounds, felled 12 wolves (I imagine I was really lucky with the critical hits).

Edited by ManicManiac

Hmmm...I'm not sure if my game has a glitch the because I take out wolves in Stalker mode with the revolver all the time.  :)That said, it doesn't aim quickly so it's not my go-to in a quick-draw situation. But if I can get positioned somewhere with a good line of sight, they go down every time...or limp off and bleed out. Another good use is to run a deer at the wolf and when he brings it down and starts eating, get up close and shoot when he turns to growl at you. I like getting two hides, 4 guts, and 9k meat per bullet.

On 5/13/2019 at 10:40 AM, stapeliad said:

Usually it just injures, and often doesn't do anything at all, not even scare the wolf away even at close range.  :/

Once a wolf charges, it typically doesn't get scared by a revolver shot.

As far as I have seen, once you hit the wolf with a revolver shot (watch for blood on the ground), it will kill the wolf eventually (it will bleed out).

-t

25 minutes ago, turtle777 said:

Once a wolf charges, it typically doesn't get scared by a revolver shot.

That is the opposite of my experience.  I've stopped wolf, moose, and bear charges with a well placed shot from the revolver (if the shot was not immediately lethal the animal would pause for a moment and then flee).

Edited by ManicManiac

4 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

That is the opposite of my experience.  I've stopped wolf, moose, and bear charges with a well placed shot from the revolver (if the shot was not immediately lethal the animal would pause for a moment and then flee).

I should have been more specific:

If the wolf started charging, and you shot the revolver WITHOUT hitting the wolf, it will continue charging, and not be scared off.

If the wolf hasn’t started charging, even a missed shot will scare it off.

If you HIT the wolf, it will always whimper off.

-t