When is the long dark set

Guest Kane Parry

Guest Kane Parry

What year is the long dark set?

As you are exploring the wilderness when you enter a building such as the credit union there are computers there but floppy discs are used massively still and that got me thinking in which time period TLD is set 

Hope this isn't a stupid question I was just wondering 

Guest Kane Parry
27 minutes ago, TheHunter280 said:

Around 2020 or more but Great Bear Island was stuck in the 90's.

Don't hesitate to ask questions, not everyone have read every piece of lore so don't feel ashamed. :)

Guest kristaok

It could be in the modern times, but a lot of the stuff like the Vehicles and Technology looks like it's from the 80s and 90s. But that is probably because Great Bear is cut off from a lot of the more advanced places. I hope this makes sense. :P 

Guest Kane Parry
10 minutes ago, kristaok said:

It could be in the modern times, but a lot of the stuff like the Vehicles and Technology looks like it's from the 80s and 90s. But that is probably because Great Bear is cut off from a lot of the more advanced places. I hope this makes sense. :P 

Yep it does thanks :)

TLD takes place in the "near future".  The actual date is intentionally left vague, but I personally estimate it at about 2030.  Before one of the redesigns, one of the skill books had a "2019 edition" stamp on the back, and this was I believe in 2017 so it was a clear indicator that it takes place in the future.  However there are other clues that we can use to discern the rough era, for example we know Lily died in 1986, yet her mother appeared to be in her 60's or 70's.  Assuming she gave birth in her 20's, that would put Grey Mother's birth year in the 60's.  Let's say 1960 just for argument's sake.  Assuming Grey Mother is 70 now, that puts the current year at 2030.

Short answer: We don't know, and we aren't meant to know.  But we can ballpark it, which I think is what you were going for.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I've always thought it is more "contemporary", maybe between 2020 - 2030. Lily's argument is really good to speculate a date. In her grave is written: 1969 - 1985. I'd say Grey Mother born around 1940 and she gave birth in her 30's. That means Grey Mother has around 80 years old (she seems an old woman, at least that's my perception). Assuming this as true, the date of TLD could be perfectly, let's say, 2022.

About the computers with the floppy discs, that's probably because Great Bear Island is stuck in the 90's, as was said in a previous post. Don't forget all the mentions about the recession and how the island was affected.

Edited by LilWolf

Guest Kane Parry
2 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

TLD takes place in the "near future".  The actual date is intentionally left vague, but I personally estimate it at about 2030.  Before one of the redesigns, one of the skill books had a "2019 edition" stamp on the back, and this was I believe in 2017 so it was a clear indicator that it takes place in the future.  However there are other clues that we can use to discern the rough era, for example we know Lily died in 1986, yet her mother appeared to be in her 60's or 70's.  Assuming she gave birth in her 20's, that would put Grey Mother's birth year in the 60's.  Let's say 1960 just for argument's sake.  Assuming Grey Mother is 70 now, that puts the current year at 2030.

Short answer: We don't know, and we aren't meant to know.  But we can ballpark it, which I think is what you were going for.

It is pretty good to speculate as I agree it is a good idea to keep it that we don't know fully but your logic is pretty sound as well as @LilWolf with the dates 

I think the guesses based on Lily are very well formulated, I also believe the game is set somewhere around 2025, plus or minus 5 years. 

While most of the equipment found at Great Bear is outdated, you can occasionally come across some more advanced equipment, too. 

Best I could point out to would be cars. You might have noticed most cars are old models of cars you'd see in 90s. These would be from the locals. Then you have the trucks found on tracks, the ones used by the lumberjacks - we know these were used by an active logging company and appear more modern. Or the blackrock Prison bus also appears somewhat more modern then usual backwater vehicles. 

Yet these more modern cars dont appear much too advanced to common cars used nowadays so its reasonable to assume the game doesn't take place that far along in the future. 

The comment about drones also supports this (by the way, still cannon, the mention of drone mail system is still in the game, remember the note about missed utility bills being delivered by drones or something like that). This method of delivery is very new right now so game should be taking place within near future. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Kane Parry

@Mroz4k

It would be cool if we saw one of these drones in the remaining episode's a prototype in Perseverance Mills maybe in Astrid's story.

Would be pretty cool to see and thanks for your answer :)