Need Clarification on Bear Bleed-Out Mechanci

UpUpAway95

I shot the Unnamed Pond Bear with the .303 rifle and was following a clear blood trail for quite awhile when I incurred a sprain.  A blizzard was also starting up and I did not have sufficient cloth on me to build a shelter or to even treat yet another sprain.  I was between Max's Last Stand and the Camp Office, so I opted to go into the building and sleep off the sprain.  When I went back to the area after  I had healed and the blizzard had passed, the Unnamed Pond Bear was back to calmly wandering around the pond.  I thought the mechanic was that if the animal was leaving a clear blood trail, it should bleed out eventually, but there was a bug in the game where animals could reset if the player went indoors... but I thought that was fixed.  Can anyone confirm.

The other odd thing I'm getting is the sounds of a distressed bear... but the bear  I see is just calmly wandering around the pond.   I'm on pilgrim, so I have scared the bear I'm seeing a couple of times now, but the distressed sounds continue long after that bear goes back to being calm.  It's almost like I have a second, invisible bear around... perhaps the one that should be dead by now?

Edited by UpUpAway95
added info and corrected type

Did you check the game log about how many bears you killed? That would confirm, if you knew what it was before the bear could have died, whether the bear carcass is decaying away somewhere. 

There was an old problem back in early access where a player tested out what happens when a player slept while the animal was bleeding out and found that that animal tended to be "healed". Advice therefore was never sleep until the animal has bled out. That may have been fixed, changed, or something but nobody (afaik) has tried to recreate that kind of testing. YMMV of course.

When I do shoot a bear, I use the game log to see whether it has died or not. I try to stay outside. I don't sleep. I don't pass time (or maybe I did, I forget). When the log shows either the bear died or enough time has passed that it was not going to, I could relax and carry on.  If it is late for the character and he has to go to sleep, I do so with the expectation that I may be forfeiting the kill. I am also in Pilgrim. 

In general, for me, bleed out seems to work okay. Finding the carcass can sometimes be a chore. 

Good luck and good hunting.

5 minutes ago, UTC-10 said:

Did you check the game log about how many bears you killed? That would confirm, if you knew what it was before the bear could have died, whether the bear carcass is decaying away somewhere. 

There was an old problem back in early access where a player tested out what happens when a player slept while the animal was bleeding out and found that that animal tended to be "healed". Advice therefore was never sleep until the animal has bled out. That may have been fixed, changed, or something but nobody (afaik) has tried to recreate that kind of testing. YMMV of course.

When I do shoot a bear, I use the game log to see whether it has died or not. I try to stay outside. I don't sleep. I don't pass time (or maybe I did, I forget). When the log shows either the bear died or enough time has passed that it was not going to, I could relax and carry on.  If it is late for the character and he has to go to sleep, I do so with the expectation that I may be forfeiting the kill. I am also in Pilgrim. 

In general, for me, bleed out seems to work okay. Finding the carcass can sometimes be a chore. 

Good luck and good hunting.

I've noticed that, since the update, my kills are not showing up until after the animal actually bleeds out.  Tested with both wolves and deer... originally the hit but no kill and then a kill getting added after the animal actually drops.  As a result, I wasn't expecting to see a bear killed until the bear actually went down.  As I said, I did have a strong blood trail that I was following right up until I got the sprain.   I'm thinking that  the "healing upon sleeping" issue has not been fixed.

Edited by UpUpAway95

17 minutes ago, TerribleSurvivor said:

How long did you sleep? It might sound odd but the bear might not had finished bleeding out when you woke up/checked the bear out.

I had to sleep 4 hours to clear the sprain and pain.  I probably waited another 2 for the weather to clear and I kept checking the journal for another 4 hours or so.  I'm pretty sure he should have bled out by then.  Also, a bear was wandering around Nonamed Pond, which is the spawn area of the bear I shot.  I'd say it was a miss IF I hadn't been following such a clear blood trail up to the point I got the sprain.  There was also a huge pool of blood in the snow where I first shot him.

I've been told that any animal that leaves such a blood trail will eventually bleed out and die.  If you just wing them, they don't leave a blood trail.  All things combined, I'm pretty sure that he must have reset when I transitioned indoors (which was, as I understand it, what happens with the bug that was identified in Alpha.

Hmm, if you haven´t progressed too far in the game already i would keep checking it out for the next 12 ingame hours so a potential kill doesnt go to waste. Otherwise, you must have encountered that one bug. It wouldn't surprise me anyways. LONG ago, I read that the freeze-bug when entering crafting menu/inventory/... was fixed (I think it was in the "Rugged Sentinel" update). Yet, i still sometimes experience a ~20 seconds long game freeze when entering a inventory interface for the first time.

By the way, the new revolver (if you found one already) is great for delivering the killing blow on a wounded target. I used it with great success on deer that somehow survived a rifle hit and were bleeding.

Edited by TerribleSurvivor

The other night, on one of my newer runs (so skills were low), in DP, I shot a bear with my bow.  2 more shots with a rifle.  I didn't keep track of how much time I had to pass to get him to bleed out but it seemed close to 6 hours.  He ran a long ways from where I was initially shooting him too.

11 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

The other night, on one of my newer runs (so skills were low), in DP, I shot a bear with my bow.  2 more shots with a rifle.  I didn't keep track of how much time I had to pass to get him to bleed out but it seemed close to 6 hours.  He ran a long ways from where I was initially shooting him too.

I did keep checking my journal for the kill for quite a few in game hours after I made this thread... no kill ever showed up.  As I said, I would have considered it a miss if there had not be such a clear blood trail for the significant disntance I was able to follow it before getting the sprain and the blizzard starting.  I'm convinced the bear reset when I went indoors and was the same healthy brear I saw wandering around the Unnamed Pond when I went there right after sleeping off the sprain.  The only other possibility I can think of is that they've changed things and the existence of a blood trail is no longer an assurance that the animal will eventually bleed out and die.

Edited by UpUpAway95

This somewhat agrees with my recent observations on bear hunts. It would appear that sometimes, the bear bleeding seems to stop. Three times I have had issues with bears that I shot, that started bleeding out, but never actually bled to death. My best guess right now is that the animals tooo far away from the player despawn and respawn as the player gets closer to that area, and that bears (due to their animal speed) tend to run away sporadically in a bigger area then other hurt animals, meaning they could theoretically run away out of their "loading distance", which could maybe reset the bleeding mechanic, much like going indoors and outdoors, which would naturally re-load the animals too.  

But I think it would need more testing. But when I made a thread on this, noone seems to have this kind of problem as me. Yet for me it happens a lot. Since my laptop is quite weak, I play the game on mostly the weakest settings possible, which is why I think I might experience this so often.

After getting proper hits on bears, with arrows stuck in them, then waiting outdoors for enough neccesary hours to wait for them to bleed out, Id find them to careless stroll around their usual patrol locations as if nothing happened. 

My observations: since the “bear-fix” update I noticed that if you shoot a bear and then get indoors, the bear will always die in his den, but you won’t see your log updated until you get back outdoors. As soon as you go outside, what happens, I believe, is that the game spawns a dead bear in his den, but only if the bleed-out time has passed (of which we have no tracking).

BUT, if the bleed-out time has not passed yet, you will find the bear roaming around at his normal patrolling pace but still bleeding out and it could drop at any moment. The same thing happens if you don't get indoors after shooting it, the bear will run around for a bit then it will stop running and keep going at his normal patrolling pace, bleeding out and eventually dropping.

Can you confirm @Raphael van Lierop?

Sorry for my English.

P.S.: Since the “bear-fix” update I personally never experienced a bear not dying after getting shot.

Edited by zioG