The Long Dark Hotfixed to V1.49 [47860]

Admin

25 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Have you updated yet to v 1.49 (may not be out on consoles yet... not sure, i have not checked my XBox One version yet..). They did a first pass on changing (fixing) the sprain system, and the flashing ! was removed from the UI, as well as fixing some errors with the slope calculations. If not, update, and see if the problem remians, and send a bug report to them if it does.

https://hinterlandgames.zendesk.com

I'm so sorry you guys, you are so kind to reply to my question and I keep not making it clear what the question was :(

I did update today. I don't even mind that I sprained my ankle. I don't mind that the warning sign was flashing.

My question is: is the door step of a fishing hut considered now/has it always been considered (without us being able to see it prior to v 1.48) a slope where one could sprain an ankle? If so, why?

• Upvote 2

• Hinterland
1 hour ago, pilot_wave said:

Hi,

I've just installed the hotfix on PS4.

Now when I resume my wintermute campaign, after playing for a minute or two I can no longer aim up or down.

It used to be working fine before...

Please report to Support: hinterlandgames.com/support

Thank you!

• Like 2

• Hinterland
19 minutes ago, Sceh said:

I'm so sorry you guys, you are so kind to reply to my question and I keep not making it clear what the question was :(

I did update today. I don't even mind that I sprained my ankle. I don't mind that the warning sign was flashing.

My question is: is the door step of a fishing hut considered now/has it always been considered (without us being able to see it prior to v 1.48) a slope where one could sprain an ankle? If so, why?

For sprains, the height is not as important as the angle, so presumably in this case the "drop" from the hut is registering as a vertical. It would always have been considered a "slope" for purposes of getting sprains. The issue would be exacerbated by being Exhausted or Encumbered. But, having said that, I don't think you should get a sprain in this instance because the system needs you to be traversing a slope for X seconds before it checks for sprains, and this small drop would not count. It's also not nearly enough of a drop to trigger a Fall (which can also cause sprains). This suggests there may be another issue or bug. Please report: www.hinterlandgames.com/support

Thanks!

• Like 2

In my experience so far, the sprain mechanics are much improved.  A single wrist sprain is no longer leaves you defenseless, so I though this was a nice balance against the expanded treatment that was introduced.  I really appreciate the quick work by the team in dealing with bugs and anomalous occurrences and I can hardly wait to see what else they have in store for the future.   With each update the game gets better end better, and I can't express my gratitude enough that the Hinterland team has been so dedicated to growing and enriching this experience for all of us.  :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Throwing rocks at bunnies seems to have become way easier -- 6 bunnies in 7 throws at the pond between the plane crash and Milton, Survival mode on Stalker difficulty. I've been playing Interloper most recently and gotten pretty good at knocking out bunnies, not that good though, and when playing Stalker prior to that I couldn't hit a bunny with a rock to save my virtual life (that's what bows were for). So,  I played around a bit in Interloper and it looks like bunnies are easier to hit there as well, and, I swear, they are falling over when rocks fly by too close, must be fainting or something.

Should rabbits be easier to hit with rocks since the v1.48 update?

If so, can we get a different size hit box for each difficulty setting or a custom setting?

I like the new sprain system, and generally information about dangerous slopes is useful. Maybe you can improve on it to have like 3 states for those icons to better display the critical chance: small slope, average slope, and steep slope with an exclam.

I would love to see slightly less chance for a sprain but the severity of effects increased -- immediate treatment not very realistic and indeed turns this into bandage simulator. The proposal: for foot sprain let it be 4 hours of rest without bandage (as it is now) or 4 awake hours when bandage applied (2 hours for wrist sprain). Make more penalties for pain -- can't craft anything with tools (forge included), can't repair clothes or other things. With one sprained wrist can't break things with hands, with two sprained wrists can't do it even with a tool, also with 2 sprained wrists can't break metals.

The following is a set of ideas for the next iteration on sprains subsystem.

On average and extreme slopes add a chance to fall off on a sprain. I am seeing how on a bad sprain the character falls head over hills -- the camera goes down (the fall itself), then a sudden scream and character turns around in a whirlpool of sky and ground, and finally you're at the foot of the hill bruised and with cloths broken apart. On very steep slopes add those moments when the character almost fallen but is taking everything to hold -- accompanied with camera movements and screams. Like with safes you have to momentally stop moving during these moments, lest you want to fall. Add an axe for mountain goating -- a hand tool that makes it possible to quickly thrust it into the ground to prevent the fall, or during the fall to shortcut it and prevent further descention. For those slopes that are *almost* but not quite walkable make it possible to plant an axe and slowly pull yourself up the hill. Axe might also be used for other things like harvesting coal in mines, but that's a whole different story 🙂

Edited by Wormer
  • Upvote 1

Update 1.49 is still not showing up this morning.  Still waiting anxiously for it.  (I've  just received 4 sprains - every limb while walking up a hill to a prepper cache site in ML and I was not overencumbered, tired or sprinting.)  The path up to that cache site is the same one I've taken many times before without incident.  There really does seem to be a connection on the Xbox with attempting to turn Will and getting a sprain.  I also received one just turning around inside the Camp Office while slightly (1 kg) overencumbered.

Guest kristaok
1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Update 1.49 is still not showing up this morning.  Still waiting anxiously for it.  (I've  just received 4 sprains - every limb while walking up a hill to a prepper cache site in ML and I was not overencumbered, tired or sprinting.)  The path up to that cache site is the same one I've taken many times before without incident.  There really does seem to be a connection on the Xbox with attempting to turn Will and getting a sprain.  I also received one just turning around inside the Camp Office while slightly (1 kg) overencumbered.

It probably takes longer for the Consoles, don't quote me on that please... but they probably have to get the okay and all of that from the Companies that own these Gaming Systems. 

1 hour ago, kristaok said:

It probably takes longer for the Consoles, don't quote me on that please... but they probably have to get the okay and all of that from the Companies that own these Gaming Systems. 

Raphael mentioned yesterday that they needed to do some additional testing (not sure if that just applied to the Xbox version or consoles in general).   AFAIK, PS4 got the update, but it's still not available on the Xbox (10:30 am MDT, May 10th).

Guest kristaok
34 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Raphael mentioned yesterday that they needed to do some additional testing (not sure if that just applied to the Xbox version or consoles in general).   AFAIK, PS4 got the update, but it's still not available on the Xbox (10:30 am MDT, May 10th).

It'll come out, it probably just takes time for the Updates to roll out on Consoles / different Platforms. Take GOG for instance, last I heard it's pretty slow for an Update to arrive on there. 

I am having great difficulty finding the revolver even though I've searched all of the costal highway. So either I'm mega unlucky or the game is mega broken. But I can wait to get my hands on it. 😀

3 minutes ago, Tri13 said:

I am having great difficulty finding the revolver even though I've searched all of the costal highway. So either I'm mega unlucky or the game is mega broken. But I can wait to get my hands on it. 😀

It seems to be really rare.  I did find one under Gray Mother's bed in MT when I started in that zone.  I started another file in ML and didn't find one at all after a thorough search of the entire zone and I had basically given up.  I did, however, eventually find it in the prepper cache.  I'm not sure yet, but I think it is possibly as rare as the flare gun... maybe even only one spawns per game.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UpUpAway95 said:

It seems to be really rare.  I did find one under Gray Mother's bed in MT when I started in that zone.  I started another file in ML and didn't find one at all after a thorough search of the entire zone and I had basically given up.  I did, however, eventually find it in the prepper cache.  I'm not sure yet, but I think it is possibly as rare as the flare gun... maybe even only one spawns per game.

That sucks I hoped it would be as common as the rifle not that the rifle is common but it is still more common than the flare gun. Oh well, I was planning to head down and search Desolation Point and then Mystery Lake. Then maybe Milton.

2 minutes ago, Tri13 said:

That sucks I hoped it would be as common as the rifle not that the rifle is common but it is still more common than the flare gun. Oh well, I was planning to head down and search Desolation Point and then Mystery Lake. Then maybe Milton.

I hear you... On the ML start I mentioned, I found 3 rifles, but only 14 bullets for that gun.  I did find 73 revolver rounds, but as I said, the only revolver I found was in the prepper cache (the last place I cleared on that map).  I'm 99% sure there is no other revolver in that zone since I've cleared absolutely everything very thoroughly.  I am going back to triple-check the dam though (breaking down all the crates and boxes - just in case).

In the earlier Milton start, I found it right away under Gray Mother's bed, but I never did find another anywhere in that zone after clearing it thoroughly.

Guest kristaok
13 minutes ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

From a tuning perspective, the Revolver is not less common than the Rifle.

Yes!!! I was hoping it would not be made rare. Cue Western Music and rolling tumbleweed. 

Edited by kristaok

42 minutes ago, Tri13 said:

I didn't find one in Coastal Highway on my game either, but I did find a rifle - perhaps that's why?

2 minutes ago, kristaok said:

Yes!!! I was hoping it would not be made rare. Cue Western Music and rolling tumbleweed. 

15 minutes ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

From a tuning perspective, the Revolver is not less common than the Rifle.

Nice... glad it's just the RNG gods toying with me on this one.  I'll not worry about testing it further.

On 5/9/2019 at 1:30 PM, Raphael van Lierop said:

Just an FYI -- the Xbox and PS4 versions of 1.49 should be going live pretty soon. We just needed to do some extra testing on those.

We're also looking at the Rifle accuracy issues, but those won't be addressed until probably the *next* hotfix.

Please add a custom setting for the revolver in next hotfix

• Upvote 1