Overall Lighting

Whenever I'm indoors and I light up a furnace or a fireplace it doesn't light the interior at all, it only lights up 1 foot from where the fire is at. The reason why it bothers me so much is because I have to light a match or a lantern just to be able to know where I am walking or what I'm trying to look for in the room. A torch lights up the room much better than a fireplace or a furnace. Also, I'd like to point out that the Trapper's Homestead lights up at night even when there isn't a fire inside.

• Upvote 3

Guest kristaok

I am no expert or anything, but I don't think fireplaces or wood stoves light up whole rooms in RL either, so this is pretty realistic. :P As for the Trappers Homestead lighting up at night, I heard that was a bug that just sort of stayed, but don't quote me on that. 

Guest kristaok

I just moved into my House irl not long ago it has a Fireplace, I won't really use it until Winter... so I cannot say I am an expert. :P Maybe there's a way to adjust the overall Game brightness? but I think they make it dark for Survival reasons. 

Fireplaces work this way irl. So I don't expect it to light up a large area. It also looks really cool. What pisses me off though are the lights during the aurora, if these lights were meant to light up the buildings when the power still worked, then I don't know how they expected to see. Because the light level and radius of the lights is SO low.

"...because I have to light a match or a lantern just to be able to know where I am..."

That´s my biggest issue with the game since the beginning :( It´s way too dark in some houses - even during daylight.

• Upvote 2

Way to dark indoors, doesn't matter if you light a fire indoors or not, you can't see anything past two feet from the fire. I think a fireplace indoors should light up just as well as a bonfire outside, it makes since. I just want the interior to light up during the night so I won't have to waste matches or lantern fuel just to find the bed.

• Upvote 1

Guest Kane Parry
On 5/9/2019 at 8:37 PM, Survival_Games said:

Way to dark indoors, doesn't matter if you light a fire indoors or not, you can't see anything past two feet from the fire. I think a fireplace indoors should light up just as well as a bonfire outside, it makes since. I just want the interior to light up during the night so I won't have to waste matches or lantern fuel just to find the bed.

I agree like today I was playing and I was in the Orca gas station at night to warm up and I had got in fine but then had no idea where I was going once inside I had to use 2 matches as haven't got the lantern yet 

Really not worth complaining about since you don't have to light a match or lantern to see where you're walking if you have a fire going in either a stove or a fireplace... just grab a torch out of the fire itself and carry it with you as you walk around.  It will shorten the duration of your fire that's in the stove or fireplace, so just quickly check after you grab the torch to make sure there is still enough of a fire to finish whatever you're cooking and add fuel as needed.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

After you've played a while, you can walk in just about any place in the dark and find where you are going, especially the bed. The overall lighting has been improved a ton. It used to be that the interiors were very dark unless it was midday. Now the darkness level adjusts really well and actually looks like sunlight coming through my windows at home. Not its really light and then pitch black. The nighttime window lighting also helps a lot. Use the windows as guides in whichever base you are using. It takes some practice, but it gets to be second nature actually. The torch idea always works also, but usually I'm cooking/boiling until that last minute and so run the fire out. I was just thinking the other day of being inside the Camp office in ML that I'm walking around in the dark more than in the light and can mostly get whatever I'm looking for. 

I always love getting over those hills towards trappers cabin and see those lights on, even though I know its dark inside. I always have a sigh of relief because if I've made it that far, then I'm home free!!!!! Honestly now I think it would be creepy to have the windows blacked out.

Poor illumination inside buildings is the aspect of the game that irritates me most.  OK, there might be workarounds, you can use a lamp or torch, or you might even know the layout of the building and be able to get around in very low light, but that is not the point.  The level of illumination inside buildings is not good.   I have just been playing an Assassin's Creed game, and there is no problem with interior illumination.

TLD has some very good lighting effects.  I like it when the sun streams through a window into a room, but often the rest of the room is unacceptably dark.  The illumination given by a fire often gives the room a cosy atmosphere.  I assume that lighting a room in such a way with Unity is quite a complex issue.  Whatever, this is an issue which needs fixing.